Sean Payton/Saints agree to 5 year $45M contract extension

The Saints are a dumpster fire and it's Brees' fault at this point. They should cut him and rebuild but instead they are cutting all of their playmakers so they can pay him

Really? I would blame the GM.

Anyway, The total value of Brees's current contract is #5 for NFL QBs. His per year avg is #9. His guaranteed money is less than Flacco, Rodgers, Ryan, Newton. His toal contract value is less than Romo's. His average per year is just 2 million more than Osweiller and his total guarantee is only 3 million more that kid just got

Edited by Mr. WEO

Anyway, The total value of Brees's current contract is #5 for NFL QBs. His per year avg is #9. His guaranteed money is less than Flacco, Rodgers, Ryan, Newton. His toal contract value is less than Romo's. His average per year is just 2 million more than Osweiller and his total guarantee is only 3 million more that kid just got

yup - the big issue has consistently been huge dead money. brees is well paid, no doubt, but whether his cap hit is a little high any given year is just a matter of having shifted stuff around from a pretty reasonable average. unfortunately, that shifting has often been driven by huge dead money values. gallette getting paid then cut, graham getting paid than traded, both within a year of their deals (so the signing bonus accelerates into a big hit) being two that are a big effect right now

Wow! That is just under $1million per win over the past 5 years. Pretty big price for mediocre results.

I guess that is what you get for recovering an onside kick in the Super Bowl about a decade ago? Seems like a silly contract?!

What have you done for me lately clearly doesn't apply!

The Saints are a dumpster fire and it's Brees' fault at this point. They should cut him and rebuild but instead they are cutting all of their playmakers so they can pay him

Tough to argue that

Tough to argue that

look upstream 3 posts...

yup - the big issue has consistently been huge dead money. brees is well paid, no doubt, but whether his cap hit is a little high any given year is just a matter of having shifted stuff around from a pretty reasonable average. unfortunately, that shifting has often been driven by huge dead money values. gallette getting paid then cut, graham getting paid than traded, both within a year of their deals (so the signing bonus accelerates into a big hit) being two that are a big effect right now

You're right again--theses are the bonehead moves by the GM. Brees isn't the corpse of P Manning. He's still the top passer in the league. You don't build a team by dumping Brees.

Edited by Mr. WEO

but his cap hit this year is $30M...that's the problem

He's still the top passer in the league. You don't build a team by dumping Brees.

i think most casual nfl fans that dont follow the saints close would be surprised that brees was 68+% completions, just a shade under 4900 yards (with a game missed and playing injured), 32 td to 11 int.... qb rating of 101 and ESPNS QBR at 75.47

that with a receiving corps of Brandin Cooks and a bunch of question marks. he had one of his best years of his career statistically with watson replacing jimmy graham.

Edited by NoSaint

Brees is 37 and the Saints stink. Time to move on. They should try and trade him for some 1st round picks. The Browns, Texans, Rams, Broncos, Jets are all pretty desperate at this point

At a cost of how many season ticket holders?

Brees is the face of the franchise, a local icon and most accomplished Saint of all time. They can't just cut him loose.

but his cap hit this year is $30M...that's the problem

and they gave him a restructure inflating this years hit mid season last year. that his hit is $30m isnt a brees being greedy issue, its a structural issue in a generally reasonable contract is WEOs point (which i would back).

I don't see how he's worth that money. Their window has closed for a deep run into the playoffs in a division that's full of formidable opponents. Not sure you need to pay a coach that much for an aging 8-8 team that needs a full defensive unit rebuild that will take two years. They need a lot on that side of the ball.