OT: Xbox and HDTV

ajzepp

I have a 51" widescreen HDTV and was wondering if anyone else had an Xbox hooked up to one. If so, does the Xbox actually provide for game play in 16:9 aspect ratio? Or does it just play in the standard 4:3?

I have a 51" widescreen HDTV and was wondering if anyone else had an Xbox hooked up to one. If so, does the Xbox actually provide for game play in 16:9 aspect ratio? Or does it just play in the standard 4:3?

245387[/snapback]

Someone told me that there was a recall issued today for the Xbox because it was starting fires. Be carefull of keeping it too close to the new TV.

BTW, I think it does play in 16:9.

Someone told me that there was a recall issued today for the Xbox because it was starting fires. Be carefull of keeping it too close to the new TV.

BTW, I think it does play in 16:9.

245389[/snapback]

Starting fires? What's up with that??

Thank you for this thread I didnt know about the recall now I have a cable on order. And the Xbox does have a setting change to change to 16:9 in the options. And also you can purchase an HD cable instead of the reg av cables which turns the pic HD quality.

Thank you for this thread I didnt know about the recall now I have a cable on order. And the Xbox does have a setting change to change to 16:9 in the options. And also you can purchase an HD cable instead of the reg av cables which turns the pic HD quality.

245421[/snapback]

Wow, video games have come a long way since I last spent any time with them. I bought my brother 'Winning Eleven' for his birthday and just recently played the game with him. It was something......I've never seen such realistic game play before. Needless to say, I may have to pick up one of these things.

To answer the original question, most games for the XBox can do 16:9 and are 480p at the very least.  Definately worth it, but you'll need to buy HD (aka: component) cables.

CW

245479[/snapback]

Thanks, man

go to www.xbox.com with your serial # and manufacture date and it will tell you if you need one....

theres a short that may shock you...it has arched and almost caused a few fires. Just make sure you turn off the XBox when not in use until you get a new cord.

I can't wait to get an HDTV and hook up the game system....BOING!!

The pic is unreal with the HD hookup. Madden is Awesome in HD lol

245497[/snapback]

So I'd have to get the HD A/V adapter and some component cables, right?

Check out www.hdtvarcade.com for a list of XBox games and what features they support. Most games are 480p, a lot are widescreen, a couple of dozen are 720p (note that Soul Calibur 2 does 720p in a cropped 4:3 window -- pure crap!), a couple are 1080i (don't bother buying The Matrix game to see 1080i -- garbage in 1080i just looks like clearly defined garbage). BTW - if you want to see a pretty football game don't waste your money on Madden. Here are some worthwhile games for viewing on your new TV:

- ESPN NFL 2K5 - best looking football game on XBox, widescreen support

- Amped 2 - only 720p game worth playing, absolutely gorgeous graphics

- Rallisport Challenge 2 - best looking racing game, widescreen support

- Ninja Gaiden - hands down best looking game on XBox, widescreen support, old-school throw-your-controller-at-the-television difficulty that some love and many hate

- Oddworld Stranger's Wrath - no widescreen support, however, cutscenes play in 720p widescreen and are the best cutscenes on the system

- Dead or Alive Ultimate - If you like fighters this is the best looking one, widescreen support

So I'd have to get the HD A/V adapter and some component cables, right?

245506[/snapback]

You can use the XBox HD hookups or the Monster cables made for the XBox. Monster cables are more expensive but you spent that much on your TV, may as well get the most out of it. If you go Monster, you'll need both the video cable and the audio (fiberoptic) cable. This assumes you are running a Digital surround sound system. If not, just go with the Microsoft HD kit.

You can use the XBox HD hookups or the Monster cables made for the XBox.  Monster cables are more expensive but you spent that much on your TV, may as well get the most out of it.  If you go Monster, you'll need both the video cable and the audio (fiberoptic) cable.  This assumes you are running a Digital surround sound system.  If not, just go with the Microsoft HD kit.

245509[/snapback]

Monster cables are a ripoff -- all marketing. Copper is copper.

That said, you just need the HD kit from Microsoft (also a ripoff, but what can you do, they have a special connector). That plugs into the XBox and has the component cables to plug into your TV. I played NFL 2k4 on my projector (100" screen!) and it was *amazing.* :rolleyes:

CW