Ongoing MMA Thread

Really wanted Faber to win but Cruz clearly outclassed him unlike their last fight. Faber's biggest mistake was trying to box with Cruz especially after he got dropped in the second. He should have kept going for takedowns and go for ground and pound even though Cruz reversed Faber. Faber was better with the grappling than striking as I think the first round was at least a draw but the rest of the rounds were all Cruz.

I just hated that Bisping won

That guy is such a loud mouthed *$&%&

Its MMA.....anything can happen I goess

That sucks.

Clearly Rockhold didn't take Bisbing seriously. He should have just taken him down and beat Bisbing up.

Bisbing will lose the belt his next fight. Good for him to finally get the belt after all these yrs.

According to a report by MMAFighting.com’s Ariel Helwani, the former heavyweight champion and the Las Vegas-based promotion are close to finalizing a deal for Lesnar to compete at UFC 200. While Lesnar’s return could be announced soon, his opponent for the event remains unknown.

“I thought about this for a year. At the end of the day, it’s all about me wanting to have fun. The money is great, but the lifestyle…,” Lesnar said on “SportsCenter” in March 2015. “For the last two months I’ve been training; I’ve been training to get back in the Octagon. I felt physically great, but something lacked mentally, and that’s not good.”

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Brock-Lesnar-Return-in-the-Works-for-UFC-200-on-July-9-105957#v52Php15oxKXHhRj.99

“Brock Lesnar remains under contract to WWE, however, he has been granted a one-off opportunity to compete at UFC 200,” read a statement on WWE.com. “Following this milestone event on July 9, Brock will return to WWE for SummerSlam on Sunday, August 21, live on WWE Network.”

Lesnar initially decided against returning to MMA last year after the WWE made what he called an offer “I just could not refuse.” Those plans have apparently changed, although UFC Director of Public Relations Dave Sholler was not able to offer much insight on the situation during the UFC 199 post-fight press conference on Saturday night. UFC President Dana White was not in attendance.

“This is the first time news was a surprise to me,” Sholler said.

Assuming all goes as planned, Lesnar will step into the Octagon for the first time since Dec. 30, 2011, when he suffered a first-round technical knockout loss to Alistair Overeem at UFC 141. Lesnar debuted in the Octagon with a first-round submission loss to Frank Mir at UFC 81, but he then reeled off four straight wins, capturing the heavyweight title along the way.

However, a life-threatening bout with diverticulitis left Lesnar a shell of himself and he didn’t appear to be nearly the same upon his return, which ultimately led to him announcing his retirement following the loss to Overeem.

I just hated that Bisping won

That guy is such a loud mouthed *$&%&

Its MMA.....anything can happen I goess

I agree, he is a loudmouth POS. However, Rockhold might just be a bigger douche. I laughed when he got KO'd by pillow hands Bisping. Bisping won't be able to defend the strap a single time so there's going to be a rush of guys wanting the first shot at him. I'm hoping Souza gets the first crack.

A few of my closest friends have been MMA fans for years. They always invite me to the PPV events and I went to one a couple years ago, but wasn't really thrilled with it.

I went to my buddy's house this past Saturday for the PPV and man ... I'm sold. Great backstories, great fights

I was an avid boxing fan from the late 70s through the early 2000s. Once I could no longer convince myself that it was NOT just a fixed, dirty sport, I stopped watching completely and have no plans to start again.

I know there are rumblings about MMA being fixed, but I hope they're not true because I think it's a great sport.

Looking forward to July!

A few of my closest friends have been MMA fans for years. They always invite me to the PPV events and I went to one a couple years ago, but wasn't really thrilled with it.

I went to my buddy's house this past Saturday for the PPV and man ... I'm sold. Great backstories, great fights

I was an avid boxing fan from the late 70s through the early 2000s. Once I could no longer convince myself that it was NOT just a fixed, dirty sport, I stopped watching completely and have no plans to start again.

I know there are rumblings about MMA being fixed, but I hope they're not true because I think it's a great sport.

Looking forward to July!

no need to fix it, there is pro wrestling for that, which sadly still pays more. Now Dana and Co. make the fights they want whether right or wrong but's it's clear these guys are out for blood.

At least we won't have to suffer through the Kimbo/Dada 5000 rematch.

Tried not to laugh but I did, That was probably the worst fight ever.

interesting twist to that fight was Dada almost died after that fight, I believe from dehydration which led to organs shutting down. And now Slice is dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Always thought Rory would eventually win the Title but when Thompson destroyed Johnny Hendricks, I knew Thompson would be the class of the division and will soon wear the Crown.

"Stephen Thompson earns title shot, but new welterweight contender emerges"
201402222128773356275-p5.jpg

"Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson staked his claim as the No. 1 contender to Robbie Lawler’s UFC welterweight title with a tactical dissection of Rory MacDonald en route to a unanimous decision at UFC Fight Night 89 at the TD Place Arena in Ottawa, Canada.

The No. 2-ranked Thompson utilized his world-class kickboxing and takedown defense to nullify any grappling advantages that the No. 1-ranked MacDonald was assumed to have coming into the fight. But it was an extremely technical fight as Thompson carefully placed his punches and kicks while MacDonald, who is a counterstriker, tried his best to find an opening.

In the end, Thompson prevailed with scores of 50-45, 50-45 and 48-47 in a fight that was much closer than the scorecards may indicate.

"Title belt! Robbie Lawler!” Thompson said afterward, clearly indicating that he has his eyes set on the welterweight title. “I want the winner of Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley in New York!"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/stephen-thompson-earns-title-shot--but-new-welterweight-contender-emerges-064600588-mma.html;_ylt=AwrBT.DMSWZXFfEAXxZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaHZjYzhtBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE4NzlfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Wonderboy's counter-striking was really impressive. The power he generates from such quick strikes is impressive. I think Lawler is the better matchup for him.

Cerrone was also impressive in completely dominating Cote.

Wonderboy's counter-striking was really impressive. The power he generates from such quick strikes is impressive. I think Lawler is the better matchup for him.

Cerrone was also impressive in completely dominating Cote.

Cerrone was great but I don't think he can hang with Thompson.

the Main event was a clunker until the 5th round.

the Bosse/O'Connell fight was great although not the most technical and felt it should have been a draw.

Always thought Rory would eventually win the Title but when Thompson destroyed Johnny Hendricks, I knew Thompson would be the class of the division and will soon wear the Crown.

I always thought he would too, but I think Lawler broke him. He looked afraid to get hit. It had his hands stretched out in front of him any time he moved forward and then would throw a single punch then back away. It was embarrassing and nothing like the fighter I've seen for the past 6-7 years. Thompson might have beaten him anyway but Rory just gave the fight away with his tentativeness. I expected him to grind Thompson, get in the clinch, shoot for takedowns. He pretty much did nothing for 5 rounds except roll for a heal hook 3 times and lost a decision. I was really disappointed in that fight.

Thompson is bad, bad matchup for Lawler. He should outclass him but Lawler does have power, all he has to do is connect once.

I always thought he would too, but I think Lawler broke him. He looked afraid to get hit. It had his hands stretched out in front of him any time he moved forward and then would throw a single punch then back away. It was embarrassing and nothing like the fighter I've seen for the past 6-7 years. Thompson might have beaten him anyway but Rory just gave the fight away with his tentativeness. I expected him to grind Thompson, get in the clinch, shoot for takedowns. He pretty much did nothing for 5 rounds except roll for a heal hook 3 times and lost a decision. I was really disappointed in that fight.

Thompson is bad, bad matchup for Lawler. He should outclass him but Lawler does have power, all he has to do is connect once.

Didn't Lawler break Rory's noise? Until the 5th round Rory was playing way too much Chess.

I agree about Thompson/Lawler. I think it will go like the Hendrix fight but maybe into the third.