Ongoing MMA Thread

some steroids have less side effects than natural testosterone, but you knew that.

Can you link me to a peer reviewed medical study - not a weightlifting or supplements site - that supports this claim?

And assuming what you say is true (and it's not because they cheated in the past), I guess this means that you think it's fair to have guys who are WAY past their athletic peak competing on equal terms with athletes who are in their primes simply because they get replacement therapy.

Edited by MDH

Can you link me to a peer reviewed medical study - not a weightlifting or supplements site - that supports this claim?

And assuming what you say is true (and it's not because they cheated in the past), I guess this means that you think it's fair to have guys who are WAY past their athletic peak competing on equal terms with athletes who are in their primes simply because they get replacement therapy.

yes. I actually think they should use whatever they want under medical supervision of the team doctor.

I read it in the Underground Steroid hand book, pretty tough to find these days but this is a start.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/130030488/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Duchaine

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has been forced out of a title rematch against Luke Rockhold at UFC 199 on June 4 because of injury, a UFC official told ESPN.com.

Weidman, 31, released a lengthy statement on social media describing the injury and his potential next steps. According to sources close to the New York native, he is still seeking medical opinions.

In his post, Weidman said he experienced neck pain and "severe vertigo" last week. He was diagnosed with a "large extrusion herniation" by a spinal surgeon, who recommended surgery. At first, Weidman believed he could fight through the injury and continue to headline UFC 199, but after an epidural injection failed to relieve pain, he made the difficult decision to withdraw.

Weidman (13-1) said that maximum recovery time, depending on surgery, is 12 weeks, and he expects to be ready by UFC 205 on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden."

Weidman-inside.jpg

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/15629759/stephania-bell-breaks-injury-sidelining-chris-weidman

Bellator 155 took over the CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho, Friday, bringing a middleweight title clash between champ Rafael Carvalho and challenger Melvin Manhoef with it.

This main-event fight promised fireworks, but promises are made to be broken, after all.

The two started off slowly – so slowly, in fact, referee "Big" John McCarthy had to halt action to remind them why they were there, encouraging them to pick up the pace.

The crowd got restless, but neither fighter seemed to mind. In a moment of pure apathy, the two walked away from each other with approximately five seconds to go in the round, choosing their corners over a chance to win – or to defend – the title.

To close out the affair, Carvalho and Manhoef traded takedowns, with neither fighter able to mount any significant offense from top position. It was a fitting finish for this fight, as nothing of note happened in the final frame.

Ultimately, the champ retained his title via split decision, much to the chagrin of Bellator commentators Sean Grande and Jimmy Smith.

"I'll say it, Jimmy: The only thing more disappointing than that fight was that horrendous decision," Grande said.

"I am disgusted that this fight went this way for Rafael Carvalho," Smith echoed. "I am disgusted for the sport right now. That's all I can say about it – that I can say on TV."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/21/11724208/bellator-155-recap-carvalho-controversially-retains-title-dufresne

Conor McGregor: ‘I Should Have Just Jumped on the Damn Flight’
"Talking with ESPN’s Kenny Mayne, Conor McGregor says he wishes he would have cooperated with the UFC and been present when he watched the UFC 200 press conference online."

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has been forced out of a title rematch against Luke Rockhold at UFC 199 on June 4 because of injury, a UFC official told ESPN.com.

This is such a shame. While I don't think Weidman deserved an immediate rematch but inserting Bisping into the title fight makes this a card I might not bother buying. I expect Bisping to get completey demolished by Rockhold. Hell, I don't think Bisping did enough to beat an over the hill Silva yet here he is against the best in the world.

Cruz/Faber isn't a bad fight, but I expect Cruz to cruise to a victory fairly easily. Faber has nothing for him standing and he won't be able to get it to the ground/keep it on the ground long enough to make a difference.

The one I'm looking forward to is Holloway/Lamas, but I'm not sure it's enough to get my $60.

This is such a shame. While I don't think Weidman deserved an immediate rematch but inserting Bisping into the title fight makes this a card I might not bother buying. I expect Bisping to get completey demolished by Rockhold. Hell, I don't think Bisping did enough to beat an over the hill Silva yet here he is against the best in the world.

Cruz/Faber isn't a bad fight, but I expect Cruz to cruise to a victory fairly easily. Faber has nothing for him standing and he won't be able to get it to the ground/keep it on the ground long enough to make a difference.

The one I'm looking forward to is Holloway/Lamas, but I'm not sure it's enough to get my $60.

agreed.

I'm cheap and get the non HD for 10 bux less, not really a huge difference.

This card is a disaster. Losing Weidman really stinks. Cruz vs Faber could be decent, but Cruz will likely just get on his bike and outpoint Faber. And now we can't even watch BJ get messed up by a gatekeeper.

This card is a disaster. Losing Weidman really stinks. Cruz vs Faber could be decent, but Cruz will likely just get on his bike and outpoint Faber. And now we can't even watch BJ get messed up by a gatekeeper.

yeah this is getting bad, it happens whatcha gona do

@Sportsnet

BJ Penn removed from UFC 199 for violating UFC Anti-Doping Program's new IV ban: http://sprtsnt.ca/1OUcbep

@MikeyJ_MMA
CjPHGt_WYAEtoPD.jpg

anti-dopingdopes

anti-dopingdopes

This one I agree with you on. I don't mind them getting rid of the IV to prevent massive weight cuts but the year long ban on them is ridiculous. Nobody is cutting weight between fights, they're not protecting the fighters by doing this.

That being said, a rule is a rule and if they want to compete it's up to the athletes in a sport to know the rules and follow them, even if they don't agree with them.

Cody Garbrandt Scores First-Round KO of Thomas Almeida in UFC Fight Night Headliner
20160529093123_GettyImages535687394.JPG

Cody Garbrandt has officially graduated from prospect status to budding contender.

The Team Alpha Male product completely overwhelmed fellow unbeaten Thomas Almeida in the UFC Fight Night “Almeida vs. Garbrandt” headliner, knocking out the Brazilian star in the opening round of their encounter at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Sunday night. The end came 2:53 into the first frame, giving Garbrandt his sixth first-round finish and second in the UFC.

“I know I’m the hardest hitter in the division,” Garbrandt (9-0, 4-0 UFC) said. “I’ll knock anybody out in the division. Dominick Cruz, whoever.”

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Cody-Garbrandt-Scores-FirstRound-KO-of-Thomas-Almeida-in-UFC-Fight-Night-Headliner-105667#Srlb99Er0KdddHCC.99

Just an FYI Dana White was just on the Cowherd radio show and said multiple times he is bringing the UFC to Buffalo. He made comments about wanting to tap into the Candian market by bringing it to BLO.

Sweet.

If I remember right there was a card in Buffalo back in the 90s but the day before the state stepped in and said the fighter had to wear headgear and gloves, To which the UFC moved the card to Puerto Rico.

Thanks NY for screwing up more stuff. :thumbsup:

It wasn't long after this that other loser politicians tried to get some notoriety and went on a witch hunt to ban the UFC altogether.

Bisbing will get destroyed tomorrow.

He doesn't even have a punchers chance. His best hope is to simply survive and love via decision. I don't think that happens, it'll be over in the 1st or 2nd.

Beerball wants to get into this sport

:lol:

I don't think he has seen it yet.

He doesn't even have a punchers chance. His best hope is to simply survive and love via decision. I don't think that happens, it'll be over in the 1st or 2nd.

love ?

He has no chance for decision either.