Is McGowan the next Jason Peters?

The next step for him is to get down to 350lbs. Re-test the athletic ability at that point and work out his optimal playing weight from there.

I think he's going to struggle to play guard but he could be a very long term tackle prospect. Believe it or not, he used to be a place kicker in HS too.

Well, my position is pretty consistent when it comes to people like McGowan. I would just assume he fills the last spot on my roster as IK. Give me the guy that has a shot to be great (even if he is a long way off) vs. the guy that is no better than 100 other street free agents.

BuffaloBill perhapsyour title should say the next Jason Peters? Or Mike Jasper?

He is more athletic than Jasper was and played st a school with a more advanced program. He is simply a very big guy who may have potential due to his athleticism

Jasper was worth it just for the board discussion. If this McGowan guy can bring half as much entertainment to the board as Jasper, or Repsaj as he was sometimes called, then hes worthy of a 7th round pick, in my opinion.

Jasper was a prospect I thought for sure would have a productive pro career. I wasn't thinking he would be a hall of famer or even a pro bowler. But I thought he would be a decent starting caliber or a rotational player. The board went nuts for him, I always think drafting these "freakshow" raw athletes is a much better use of a 7th round selection (Esp if the team has multiple 7th rounders) than on a marginal prospect. Although it's not as though you can't find good prospects in the 7th round.

89- i agree. I didn't mind Jasper and he just couldn't get there. 350? I'd say 335 lbs. at most, and see an improvement in his speed. Jasper's problem from what I remember in pre-season is his footwork was awful and couldn't fit on offense or defense. I really thought maybe he could have been a back up rotational Guard, but it was a good call.

Losing 60-70 lbs is dramatic so unless he wants to "insanity tapes four hours a day 5 days a week with a perfect diet, that is going to be hard"

He is more athletic than Jasper was and played st a school with a more advanced program. He is simply a very big guy who may have potential due to his athleticism

Jasper was a good guy. Like someone else mentioned, I too would rather take a flyer on a guy like this with a seventh than someone that is 100% getting cut. It would be quite the discovery though.

Wasn't Jasper's only attribute his athleticism (for his size)?

Anyway, there is no way Peters shows up to camp each year at 330#. At 6'4", he's a lot closer to 400# no question.