For those who think stats are everything...

I wonder what their career picks are in comparison, as I don't remember Kelly as a pick machine like Fitz. Now Kelly played on great teams, and Fitz until last year played on crappy teams including us.

You see my handle so you know my nepotism for Kelly, but CBF, it's a very valid point. You have to look at a player in his totality of the teams he played on, and all facts, vs. cherry picking one stat.

I wonder what their career picks are in comparison, as I don't remember Kelly as a pick machine like Fitz. Now Kelly played on great teams, and Fitz until last year played on crappy teams including us.

You see my handle so you know my nepotism for Kelly, but CBF, it's a very valid point. You have to look at a player in his totality of the teams he played on, and all facts, vs. cherry picking one stat.

Fitz - 113 games played - 116 INT

Kelly - 160 games played - 175 INT

So Kelly had a slightly higher INT/Games played ratio.

I agree. Im only showing this stat to prove how stupid it is to only look at stats. Kelly is one of the all time greats and i just wanted to use this to show people that there is more to take into consideration than just stats

CBF

Yeah... Yeah ...

You're just starting to build the case to bring Fitzmagic back....

I don't think the "passing rules" had too much to do with it. Elway was a career 56% passer because he wasn't that accurate of a passer. He had 7 seasons at or below 55%. Steve young was far more accurate at 64% career.

Eli Manning is only a career 59%. Luck, considered the most gifted young QB in the league is only 58%. Newton, the "TD machine" is just under 60% Brady at 63%--really no different than Kelly for practical purposes. The "modern era" hasn't done much for these guys in this stat.

Fitz has beaten one team with a .500 record in 4 years.

Fraud !!!!!

That's simply not true.

At this moment Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jim Kelly have the same career completion percentage of 60.1%

CBF

This does nothing to expose anything football statistics. It does go to show that you cannot compare statistics from era to era. I read recently that Kirk Cousins broke the Redskins' all time single season completion % record this season. Whose record did he break? Try RG3 the previous season! Not 2012 RG3 but the RG3 that got replaced. This is why I would get so frustrated when people would say stuff like "EJ Manuel's first 14 games compare favorably with Bernie Kosar's first 14 games (or some QB from the mid 80's)." THAT means absolutely nothing. Back in 1985, you could win the MVP with like 25 TD's, 17 INT's and 3,500 yards or thereabouts.

All that being said, comparing stats from two QB's from the SAME era is as pertinent as ever.

Just curious how old you were during Kelly's prime? He threw a lot of picks my friend.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Just curious how old you were during Kelly's prime? He threw a lot of picks my friend.

The worst pick Kelly threw was that End Zone INT vs the Dolphins in a game that kept us out of the playoffs somewhere between 95-97, cant remember which year but as a child it killed me.

Bunched 'em too, and had a bad habit of throwing the team into a deep pit with multiple INTs in the biggest games.

Not intended as a knock on Kelly. He was an all-time-great QB. In retrospect, not always his best in the post-season

Edited by Hopeful

I don't think the "passing rules" had too much to do with it. Elway was a career 56% passer because he wasn't that accurate of a passer. He had 7 seasons at or below 55%. Steve young was far more accurate at 64% career.

Eli Manning is only a career 59%. Luck, considered the most gifted young QB in the league is only 58%. Newton, the "TD machine" is just under 60% Brady at 63%--really no different than Kelly for practical purposes. The "modern era" hasn't done much for these guys in this stat.

You don't think the difference in career percentages between 63% and 56% is significant regardless of the factors ?

All passing stats in the last 5 years should come with *. Everything is completely inflated. Matt Stafford is apparently on Marino's level because he has 5,000 yard passing seasons.

It's flag football and they are begging you to pass. That's why I worry about having a run first offense.

Bunched 'em too, and had a bad habit of throwing the team into a deep pit with multiple INTs in the biggest games.

Not intended as a knock on Kelly. He was an all-time-great QB. In retrospect, not always his best in the post-season

Good post. Kelly had some of his worst games in the biggest moments.

I agree I was just trying to make a point

CBF

Your point doesn't make sense... Since you will need another stat to show that those two people were from statistically different times in football.

What the title should have said is "Cherry picking stats is dumb."

When you look at every stat put together they basically do tell everything.

Edited by Beef Jerky

That's simply not true.

This does nothing to expose anything football statistics. It does go to show that you cannot compare statistics from era to era. I read recently that Kirk Cousins broke the Redskins' all time single season completion % record this season. Whose record did he break? Try RG3 the previous season! Not 2012 RG3 but the RG3 that got replaced. This is why I would get so frustrated when people would say stuff like "EJ Manuel's first 14 games compare favorably with Bernie Kosar's first 14 games (or some QB from the mid 80's)." THAT means absolutely nothing. Back in 1985, you could win the MVP with like 25 TD's, 17 INT's and 3,500 yards or thereabouts.

All that being said, comparing stats from two QB's from the SAME era is as pertinent as ever.

I'm 48 partner although I'm told i look no older and 47.5 yrs old :thumbsup: . So basically i was 18-28 when he was the QB and been an NFL and Bills fanatic since i was 6. I remember distinctly the day OJ went for 2003.

As far as Kelly, I really don't remember it, and when i moved to Tampa in January of 91, five days before the SB there, my Buffalo buddies and I went to sports bars every week to see our games, vs. the creamsicles. i guess the first thing to lose is memory with age.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I still wouldn't want Fitzy back. Not saying you do, but CBF makes a very good point on stats.