And Jennings' asking price just got higher

d_wag

"Two league sources told ESPN.com on Thursday evening that the Indianapolis Colts have a new deal all but in place for Ryan Diem, a four-year veteran who has emerged as one of the NFL's best young right tackles. The extension, which is said to be for six or seven years, would pay Diem bonus money in the $12 million-$14 million range, the sources said. If the deal is completed it would remove from the market a guy who, at age 25, is really coming into his own, and who would have garnered a ton of attention in the free-agent pool. At least two teams, one in each conference, had Diem very high on their free agency wish lists."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1994355

$10 million bonus for Jones in SEA and now 12+ for Diem, I figure that puts JJs bonus worth $7-9 million. He is not as good as either of them plus he does have a history of missing games due to injury.

I think that bonus is doable for the Bills. The problem is supply and demand in the NFL. Someone might just be desperate enough to overpay JJ and in that case the Bills will have to make the left side of the OL their top priority.

Has anyone heard anything about ongoing contract talks for JJ and Pat? Are they talking again?

$10 million bonus for Jones in SEA and now 12+ for Diem, I figure that puts JJs bonus worth $7-9 million. He is not as good as either of them plus he does have a history of missing games due to injury.

I think that bonus is doable for the Bills. The problem is supply and demand in the NFL. Someone might just be desperate enough to overpay JJ and in that case the Bills will have to make the left side of the OL their top priority.

Has anyone heard anything about ongoing contract talks for JJ and Pat? Are they talking again?

245179[/snapback]

jones got 16M bonus........

jennings can match diem's bonus now, although he would have taken 10M last spring if donahoe would have had the balls to put a REAL offer in front of him back then (that's right, i'm speculating)........

how is jennings not as good? there both 4th year playes, but it took diem half a season to start whereas jennings started from day one........jennings plays a more important position and has played other spots on the line........and diem also missed 3 games in '03.........jennings is every bit as good as diem, if not better.........

p*sses me off that indy can keep their good, young talent around but we let ours walk out the door........

245179[/snapback]

Why on Gods green earth would a player sign a contract now. I sure know I would wait until March when I can see what my market value is

Why on Gods green earth would a player sign a contract now. I sure know I would wait until March when I can see what my market value is

245190[/snapback]

I hope the Bills are trying! Obviously other teams are getting deals done.

245190[/snapback]

maybe he just wants to stay in indy AND realized their offer was very fair?? sometimes that is all it takes to get a deal done........

p*sses me off that indy can keep their good, young talent around but we let ours walk out the door........

245189[/snapback]

Who is the good young talent you are talking about.... Price?, Cowert?, Winfield? (Good talent, but not at that price). Fill us in.

jones got 16M bonus........

jennings can match diem's bonus now, although he would have taken 10M last spring if donahoe would have had the balls to put a REAL offer in front of him back then (that's right, i'm speculating)........

how is jennings not as good? there both 4th year playes, but it took diem half a season to start whereas jennings started from day one........jennings plays a more important position and has played other spots on the line........and diem also missed 3 games in '03.........jennings is every bit as good as diem, if not better.........

245189[/snapback]

The big advantage Diem has over Jennings in getting a big contract is that he was able to start all 16 games last season and this was the second time in his 4 year career he was able to do that. JJ has shown signs of being a good player, but GM's seem to value reliability and JJ has never started a full 15 in any year of his career and has also been dinged a few times and needed to be replaced by Price to finish games.

Diem did miss three games in '03 as you point out but came back to do 16 last year. Ignoring these occurences may make us feel better but it seems to be a real factor in market value and market is what this is all about.

I hope JJ stays as well, but the Bills should not give him top 5 OL money ($7 milliom), top 10 OL money ($6 million) and the huge cap hit MW will get unless he restructures even makes the rate of $5 million that lesser talents than JJ have gotten to play LT a questionable number. I hope the Bills sign him. but risking losing him to see if we can knock the price needed to retain him down to $4 million (and I hope $3 million cap hit) to sign him strikes me as a good team building move.

Everybody wants youth but reality only allows you to pay them so much. Indy has made a choice to do without the best D players and instead hope that having one of the best D oriented HCs in the game will help them win it all. This has been a bad bet the last two years even with Manning playing lights out.

245190[/snapback]

It's a risk for both sides to wait longer. Oftentimes a player could have gotten more money if he did the deal earlier before the market price for his services turned out to be less. Remember Rueben Brown....?

If we don't pay Jennings the market value you can kiss him goodbye. There will be another team in need of an above average LT that will be willing to show him the money. Don't try and low ball the guy if you really want him here next year.