NFL Exec Admits Link Between CTE and Brain Trauma

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an ulterior motive to the NFL coming out and saying this. I just can't figure out the angle. I don't doubt a carefully, strategically developed one is there.

No mystery here. The NFL wants to be out front in telling all that football (i.e. starting in Pop Warner) can lead to CTE. The implication is that the disease is present before these guys get to the NFL.

Smart play--acknowledging the obvious and shifting the blame to where the experts are in agreement.

There is an ulterior motive to the NFL coming out and saying this. I just can't figure out the angle. I don't doubt a carefully, strategically developed one is there.

What's the mystery? Own the risks, players sign a comprehensive waiver to play, dedicate money for research and stay on the forefront of it. Take all preventative measures possible, keep the game intact and minimize the future uncertainty of concussion liability. Sound business decision.

Other pro sports will probably adopt a similar model. There's finally enough corroborated scientific evidence to make continued denial a larger risk than acceptance.

What's the mystery? Own the risks, players sign a comprehensive waiver to play, dedicate money for research and stay on the forefront of it. Take all preventative measures possible, keep the game intact and minimize the future uncertainty of concussion liability. Sound business decision.

Other pro sports will probably adopt a similar model. There's finally enough corroborated scientific evidence to make continued denial a larger risk than acceptance.

yes. getting ahead of what may or may not be true on the links to football is worth it. posturing is very important. if they find out they are wrong and it is not linked to football directly - its easy to fix. if they're wrong than its just more headlines and mud thrown at the league.

but how many men over 50 have cte? how many men over 70? how many basketball players? mlb? soccer? how many women? where is the control in all of this.

when you look for something you typically have no problem finding it.

@PFWeekly

The NFLPA issued a statement in response to the NFL admitting link between football & CTE: http://shawurl.com/2h17

CdrchfxW8AEyKek.jpg

As we await the NFL's next move after admitting Monday there's "certainly" a link between football brain injuries and CTE, then confirming Tuesday the acknowledgement accurately reflects its new position, the NFLPA has weighed in on the issue.

"The good news is that this admission comes in time for both parties to address its significance to a settlement that apparently does not cover treatment for CTE in living players. The bad news is that the NFL's lobbyist reached the foregone medical conclusion before the NFL's chief physician did. That is unacceptable," said NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith.

The NFL will continue to lead the efforts to learn as much as possible about any potential link between head injuries and CTE and continue to evolve the game to make it safer for all players, in continued partnership with medical researchers and the players' association.

@PFWeekly

The NFLPA issued a statement in response to the NFL admitting link between football & CTE: http://shawurl.com/2h17

CdrchfxW8AEyKek.jpg

As we await the NFL's next move after admitting Monday there's "certainly" a link between football brain injuries and CTE, then confirming Tuesday the acknowledgement accurately reflects its new position, the NFLPA has weighed in on the issue.

"The good news is that this admission comes in time for both parties to address its significance to a settlement that apparently does not cover treatment for CTE in living players. The bad news is that the NFL's lobbyist reached the foregone medical conclusion before the NFL's chief physician did. That is unacceptable," said NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith.

Perhaps the NFL will toss out the settlement themselves. All they have to do is cross examine Bennet "I discovered CTE" Omalu on the stand so he can admit that most NFL players likely already had CTE before they left college---or even before they started, if they spent years in pop Warner.

He would be their best witness, in fact, since he has already gone on record saying kids shouldn't play football before they are 18. Further, since he has said that no equipment can prevent such injuries, any player who continues to play bears sole responsibility for the outcome.

Does anyone remember the padding on Mark Kelso's helmet that he used for 5 years? He had two serious concussions and it was recommended that he never play football again. The Bills trainer new somebody that developed padding for the outside of his helmet and he never had another concussion. His nickname was "The Great Kazoo" because the padding made his helmet larger. It didn't look sleek, but it worked.

During that same time, Steve Wallace, a 49er offensive lineman had the padding on his and he also never suffered another concussion.

It baffles me that more people don't talk about that or that the padding hasn't been used more.