BJ Raji to retire at 29

I think a lot of these under 30 guys don't see the game the way players did 20 years ago. You have earned over 20 million for a few years of hard work--what motivates you to do it again next year?

Someone needs to explain this to Brady.

@spotrac

B.J. Raji retires from the game having earned $26.6M across 7 seasons w/ the #Packers.

Well, if he made net net, $17 mil over that period after all taxes, and agent fees, and lived on $500,000 / yr, which is living like a king in Green Bay, he would have $13,000,000 left. Well invested, and drawing only 4% which is common for retirees as your principal should generate more than that if divested well, he live on over $500,000 / year for life.

Now the likelihood he actually didn't buy his mom a house and thrown away a ton more is low, so he probably won't have that income. That's what these guys no matter how many seminars are thrown at them on investing wisely, don't appreciate this is a temporary business. They will never make the money again so live on proportionally less. I wish him well and if he can take a year off and feels better, I would give it another try for one more contract. Bank the damn thing and enjoy your retirement. Personally, I would go bats$%#t crazy not working at such a young age, but to each his own.

Good for him. He says he isn't feeling it and wants to take a year off to be with his mom and aunt who have health issues. Raji has afforded himself that luxury by what he has made so far.

And anyone saying you could not live off what he has made is being silly. $26+ million . I get after taxes and such, but still. He takes a year off, spends time with his family. If he feels the urge to come back he does so next year and will get a good deal from some team.

Good for him. He says he isn't feeling it and wants to take a year off to be with his mom and aunt who have health issues. Raji has afforded himself that luxury by what he has made so far.

And anyone saying you could not live off what he has made is being silly. $26+ million . I get after taxes and such, but still. He takes a year off, spends time with his family. If he feels the urge to come back he does so next year and will get a good deal from some team.

This is the coolest feature, he leaves still being desired in the NFL. gets to rejuvenate his body and mind and revisit the decision next year !

how awesome is that?

to me that is just a win for he and family. And those that are family oriented understand what a blessing this is being able to choose.

quick story

My company had a layoff coming. I have seniority.

been working very hard nine years.

then they said we will take volunteers and by rights i keep my heath benefits. I said yes a long a i can have a return to work date. which i have.

A 3 month hiatus.

The cool part is My daughter has asked if i wanted to babysit my 13 month old grandson during the her work week.

I would never get this opportunity again in my life i bet especially at my age!

Hell yes i said!!

perspective.

i am no millionaire either. but getting more time with Family after 40 years of working my butt off?

Lucky me indeed.

so i get Raji i get it 110%.

Family should be first

This is the coolest feature, he leaves still being desired in the NFL. gets to rejuvenate his body and mind and revisit the decision next year !

how awesome is that?

to me that is just a win for he and family. And those that are family oriented understand what a blessing this is being able to choose.

quick story

My company had a layoff coming. I have seniority.

been working very hard nine years.

then they said we will take volunteers and by rights i keep my heath benefits. I said yes a long a i can have a return to work date. which i have.

A 3 month hiatus.

The cool part is My daughter has asked if i wanted to babysit my 13 month old grandson during the her work week.

I would never get this opportunity again in my life i bet especially at my age!

Hell yes i said!!

perspective.

i am no millionaire either. but getting more time with Family after 40 years of working my butt off?

Lucky me indeed.

so i get Raji i get it 110%.

Family should be first

3rd and 12, you know i like your perspective, but sharing your story was great. I'm glad you had time with your grandchild, and sounds like your company is taking you back. I'm sure well deserved. I couldn't agree more on Raji. It's too bad Calvin Johnson doesn't do the same. If he settles up with Detroit on any compensation as he probably has to give some of his bonus back he would be free and clear next year, and most likely 100% healthy. I just love watching great players and feel cheated when they quit too early. can you imagine Calvin as opposed to Raji with Green Bay which is always in contention for a SB, Johnson went to play with Rothlesberger, Rodgers, Newton, Brady, or Luck. That connection of these top teams with a freak of nature would be fun to watch.

I feel the same with Willis out in SF. Give him a year off and he still is a stud. Didn't you guys hate when Sanders retired? Can you imagine after taking one year off, he was free to go to one of the top teams back then. The Bucs, Eagles, Panthers, and so on. That could have been the difference in one of those three early SB wins. Sanders on a great team with a good defense would have been awesome.

Well, if he made net net, $17 mil over that period after all taxes, and agent fees, and lived on $500,000 / yr, which is living like a king in Green Bay, he would have $13,000,000 left. Well invested, and drawing only 4% which is common for retirees as your principal should generate more than that if divested well, he live on over $500,000 / year for life.

Now the likelihood he actually didn't buy his mom a house and thrown away a ton more is low, so he probably won't have that income. That's what these guys no matter how many seminars are thrown at them on investing wisely, don't appreciate this is a temporary business. They will never make the money again so live on proportionally less. I wish him well and if he can take a year off and feels better, I would give it another try for one more contract. Bank the damn thing and enjoy your retirement. Personally, I would go bats$%#t crazy not working at such a young age, but to each his own.

It's likely he has more than $13M in capital when you consider the S&P 500 has doubled since he was drafted.

It's likely he has more than $13M in capital when you consider the S&P 500 has doubled since he was drafted.

You are assuming that he had good advice and invested in traditional ways....it would have been a good run for him. But, who knows, these guys are targeted by every fly by night "friend" with crazy schemes. I hope he was mentally strong enough to go to Goldman Sachs and ask them to handle it for him. "Private Wealth Management" is the service.......or, any other of the big name investment banks also will do this.......

Getting out before he gets (more) head trauma makes sense to me if he is set for life.