Surveillance Drones over the US

This could easily fit into the Dangers of our New Normal / It's not about one phone, it's about all phones threads but I didn't want it to get lost.

The belief that the federal government was using drones to conduct domestic surveillance inside the United States, though, could get a person labeled a paranoid lunatic as recently as 2012. Yet by then, the border patrol had lent its drones to other agencies 700 times. And the Department of Homeland Security was actively developing a domestic drone fleet, egged on by at least 60 members of Congress.

(snip)

That brings us to 2016.

On Wednesday, USA Today reported that the Pentagon “has deployed drones to spy over U.S. territory for non-military missions over the past decade,” citing a report by a Pentagon inspector general who declared that the flights are “rare and lawful.”

That’s the narrative that officials speaking on behalf of the federal government keep conveying––that the instances of aerial surveillance over U.S. soil are safe, legal, and rare.

But it isn’t so.

There are too many federal, state, and local agencies with too many surveillance aircraft to pretend any longer that aerial spying is rare. There is too little oversight to presume all these government entities are acting legally. As for safety, Americans know neither what sort of aerial-surveillance data has been archived nor how secure it is. And security researcher Nils Rodday learned that he could successfully hack into professional drones and take over their operations on a $40 budget.

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2016/03/lets-talk-about-rapid-rise-federal-drones-over-us-soil/126579/?oref=d-river

True, yet plenty of people will be / would be.

I thought it was common knowledge. They had drones patrolling over DC when the DC Sniper was active. And it was widely and publicly reported.

People really think that, after working out all the legal issues and setting the precedent back then, they just said "Good, now we don't have to do that any more" when the case was closed?

Then you should be fearful for your life.

And you should be fearful your brain will get eaten.

Does the drone story bother you?

I bet they are catching speeders, watch street corners and monitoring Trump crowds before long.

I bet they are catching speeders, watch street corners and monitoring Trump crowds before long.

Just like Nazi Germany, right?

Just like Nazi Germany, right?

An overstepping expanding police state should scare any American who has a clue to this country's founding principles and ideals. It should outrage everyone but most people are only concerned with how many likes their post got or who's winning American idol or trolling the waiver wire in fantasy, or crusing craigslist hookups

How original. You have to actually steal someone's insult of you and repeat it back to them? Pathetic.

An overstepping expanding police state should scare any American who has a clue to this country's founding principles and ideals. It should outrage everyone but most people are only concerned with how many likes their post got or who's winning American idol or trolling the waiver wire in fantasy, or crusing craigslist hookups

Yes, I heard the IRS is getting drones to come and watch you while you read your constitution

Yes, I heard the IRS is getting drones to come and watch you while you read your constitution

As they should. The Constitution isn't suitable reading for anyone, given that it defines blacks as being only 60% of a person.