Is Bettis really an option?

bartshan-83

I remember people talking about Bettis possibly being a backup option. Was this based all on the hat wearing thing?

He was one of my all-time favorite college players growing up. Bettis and Brooks...Thunder and Lightning. I would love to see him here smashing people down and softening them up for Willis. Can you imagine a better short yardage goaline tandem than Bettis/McGahee?

But I mean is he even gonna leave Pittsburgh? Is he retiring? Would he be a backup for sure?

I remember people talking about Bettis possibly being a backup option. Was this based all on the hat wearing thing?

He was one of my all-time favorite college players growing up. Bettis and Brooks...Thunder and Lightning. I would love to see him here smashing people down and softening them up for Willis. Can you imagine a better short yardage goaline tandem than Bettis/McGahee?

But I mean is he even gonna leave Pittsburgh? Is he retiring? Would he be a backup for sure?

245017[/snapback]

I don't think we'd call him a backup... More of a "third and short" and "goaline" back.

But then again, in either of those situations, I think I'd almost rather have Willis.

Man, what a pick that was by TD...

245017[/snapback]

i'd rather have a "change of pace" back........we can find great value on day 2 of the draft and it would be cheaper then signing a vet.........

I actually think w/ his size and style, he'd complement Willis well. He brings to the table pretty much everything Willis doesn't have (not much, at that tho) --- a bust it up your gut and you're still not going to stop me 'cause I'll run you over, guy.

I'd only be concerned b/c of his age, but as a 2nd if/when Travis gets the axe or block, I'd be very happy to sign the Bus.

i'd rather have a "change of pace" back........we can find great value on day 2 of the draft and it would be cheaper then signing a vet.........

245035[/snapback]

Valid point that there are going to be a lot of good RBs to be had for cheap in the draft and as UDFAs.

I do think, tho, that Bettis would be a satisfactory "change-of-pace" back. Signing another speed & power guy would be getting esentially the same style runner. Bettis brings a lot more than that. And he's a good goaline runner/decoy.

He brings to the table pretty much everything Willis doesn't have (not much, at that tho) --- a bust it up your gut and you're still not going to stop me 'cause I'll run you over, guy.

245040[/snapback]

i don't get your point -- i certainly consider willis (all 240 pounds of him) that kind of style as well, except he also has speed on top of that.......you don't think willis can "bust it up your gut" and "run over guys" with the best of them?

Valid point that there are going to be a lot of good RBs to be had for cheap in the draft and as UDFAs.

I do think, tho, that Bettis would be a satisfactory "change-of-pace" back. Signing another speed & power guy would be getting esentially the same style runner. Bettis brings a lot more than that. And he's a good goaline runner/decoy.

245049[/snapback]

Bettis is pretty loyal to the Steelers organization. I'd guess he'll retire from them.

i don't get your point -- i certainly consider willis (all 240 pounds of him) that kind of style as well, except he also has speed on top of that.......you don't think willis can "bust it up your gut" and "run over guys" with the best of them?

245051[/snapback]

I don't know (and it's hard to explain) but Bettis does it a lot differently. Willis seems to be more speed with stiffarm, running toward the sides on sweeps than a full-ahead steamroller.

Bettis almost aims for the pile and busts it open. Kind of like Sam Gash, only he carries the rock while he's doing it. And still, you can't say the man is without finesse. He brings a very weird, but useful combo of size and skills to your table. He always gave our Ds fits.

I would bet we could get Ron Dayne relatively cheap, he is a power back, but as I recall, in college he looked pretty fast too. He was totally misused here in NY, I would love to give him a chance, he is like a car that sat in the garage, no mileage, no dents, ready to prove something...

I would bet we could get Ron Dayne relatively cheap, he is a power back, but as I recall, in college he looked pretty fast too. He was totally misused here in NY, I would love to give him a chance, he is like a car that sat in the garage, no mileage, no dents, ready to prove something...

245073[/snapback]

Hmm...I was under the impression that he has a few dents in his head. :o

Hmm...I was under the impression that he has a few dents in his head. :o

245075[/snapback]

He isnt doing any brain surgery, but he has been relatively quiet since being in NY, a few mumblings about playing time, but spent the whole 2003 season practicing, but never suiting up because of an issue with Fassel. With Coughlin he was only used on 3 and short or 4th and short, in all cases, everyone knew he was getting the ball, give him the ball on 2nd and 8, see what he has.

I don't know (and it's hard to explain) but Bettis does it a lot differently. Willis seems to be more speed with stiffarm, running toward the sides on sweeps than a full-ahead steamroller.

Bettis almost aims for the pile and busts it open. Kind of like Sam Gash, only he carries the rock while he's doing it. And still, you can't say the man is without finesse. He brings a very weird, but useful combo of size and skills to your table. He always gave our Ds fits.

245066[/snapback]

i'm not knocking bettis -- he is good at what he does.........i just think willis can do everything he can, with speed........i think he can knock guys around and bust open piles..........the guy is a load and tough to bring down one on one, much like bettis.........

but when i think "change of pace" from willis, i don't think of bettis........i think of a smaller back, weight wise.......little more nimble, little more light on the feet......less power, more dash.......prototype 3rd down back........i see plenty of those in the college ranks that, like i said, would come cheap on the 2nd day and i'd much rather have one of those guys over bettis.........

i just don't think bettis' skill set is what we need because it matches up to closely with willis (power, goal-line, move the pile -- willis can do those things).........

245051[/snapback]

wiilis is not even close to 240lbs.

wiilis is not even close to 240lbs.

245090[/snapback]

take it up with mularky smartass:

"We have to be smart how we use them," Mularkey said. "We have two guys who don't just have speed but are big, physical backs. People don't realize they're 240 pounds, well-built and can get to the edge. It's hard to say how the whole thing will play out. Willis has great ability, but he has to prove himself."

take it up with mularky smartass:

"We have to be smart how we use them," Mularkey said. "We have two guys who don't just have speed but are big, physical backs. People don't realize they're 240 pounds, well-built and can get to the edge. It's hard to say how the whole thing will play out. Willis has great ability, but he has to prove himself."

245092[/snapback]

wait was he trying to say that Henry is 240 also??? Where is that from?

wow. thanks d. I really wonder why Mularkey would say something like that. I mean Willis is 230 maybe and Travis is about 215. Its one thing to talk up your players but, thats a bit overboard.

But to the original discussion, I guess I like Bettis because after getting beat up by Willis all day, I think having another back that actually hits harder would be really tough for the defense to take. But I just love Bettis.

i'm not knocking bettis -- he is good at what he does.........i just think willis can do everything he can, with speed........i think he can knock guys around and bust open piles..........the guy is a load and tough to bring down one on one, much like bettis.........

but when i think "change of pace" from willis, i don't think of bettis........i think of a smaller back, weight wise.......little more nimble, little more light on the feet......less power, more dash.......prototype 3rd down back........i see plenty of those in the college ranks that, like i said, would come cheap on the 2nd day and i'd much rather have one of those guys over bettis.........

i just don't think bettis' skill set is what we need because it matches up to closely with willis (power, goal-line, move the pile -- willis can do those things).........

245082[/snapback]

If that really is the case of what you want, Shaud Williams wears jersey No. 40. I do think a lot of people here sell him short. The height factor is actually a positive for him, (lower center of gravity --> harder to tackle). Played pretty well in what relief appearances he had in SF. You're not really going to find anyone who's got as good stats or heart as him. That said, they still pick another one up for the PS in case of injuries.

And I respectfully disagree, but Bettis and Willis are very different type backs. Power and size, you say. Really watch their running styles and you'll see they do lots of things differently. And it's small details of their style, but it matters big. Yeah, Willis can, but he doesn't do them nearly as well as his speed game (and you'll be seeing a revert more to this when he heals fully). I'm not convinced of his goal-line presence yet. I think Bettis could show him a few moves in camp.

If that really is the case of what you want, Shaud Williams wears jersey No. 40. I do think a lot of people here sell him short. The height factor is actually a positive for him, (lower center of gravity --> harder to tackle). Played pretty well in what relief appearances he had in SF. You're not really going to find anyone who's got as good stats or heart as him. That said, they still pick another one up for the PS in case of injuries.

And I respectfully disagree, but Bettis and Willis are very different type backs. Power and size, you say. Really watch their running styles and you'll see they do lots of things differently. And it's small details of their style, but it matters big. Yeah, Willis can, but he doesn't do them nearly as well as his speed game (and you'll be seeing a revert more to this when he heals fully). I'm not convinced of his goal-line presence yet. I think Bettis could show him a few moves in camp.

245114[/snapback]

Shaud is only an inch shorter than Travis Henry. If he can put on some lbs of muscle, I think he could be a great backup to Willis. I would love to have Bettis here for short yard situations.