To Ensure A Winning Future look Forward Not Back !!

T master

I just read that the Bills are down to around $3 mill in available money's in cap space & most of that will be given out to draft picks after the draft is done .

What i was wondering is why they don't go to some others on the roster to build the cap space that is needed ?

We have 3 veterans that they could restructure their contracts & could yield some room in order to do a bit more such as sign Gilmore & Glenn so they aren't screwed next year or just sign some much needed depth players as some have & will leave via FA.

I think the 3 vets they need to talk with is 1) Kyle Williams. He is going into his 11th year is it ? Not to mention he is coming off a injury. I wrote to Chris at BB.com & he reply'd that " they would not try to restructure WIlliams because he is to valuable as a leader on the team & he deserves the contract he has ."

And i get it !

But if they were to follow a winners plan such as the Pats he may all ready be gone to bring in more young talent for the future . I see what Chris is saying but they need to think of the future & not the past ! Unless it is a Brady or D. Breez

Then they need to talk to 2) Woods to get him a more reasonable contract. If he was a pro bowl type center he might be free to not be put included in this conversation but he's not .

Then 3) there is Arron Williams. He is coming off a injury & they don't know (although he has been cleared to play) if after the first or second hit this year if he will even be around . If he does get a hit & can't continue to play then there will be dead money for his contract not to mention the full cap hit .

Williams him self even said he won't know until he takes that first hit if he will be good to go . Whaley & company seem to be confident that he will be alright but you never know. Even if he didn't have the injury they could still get some cap cash to work with.

If those guys are about winning & want to see this thing go where they want it to then i would think that they would be willing to give up a little cash to have other good players brought into the fold weather it be through the draft or FA.

I understand they need to keep their own, Glenn, Gilmore, (possibly Tyrod) Taylor, Watkins & more draft prospects this year that will be the future of the team & even though i think Kyle, Arron, & Woods have been good players they need to look forward not back & do what they can to ensure a winning future !

I just read that the Bills are down to around $3 mill in available money's in cap space & most of that will be given out to draft picks after the draft is done .

What i was wondering is why they don't go to some others on the roster to build the cap space that is needed ?

We have 3 veterans that they could restructure their contracts & could yield some room in order to do a bit more such as sign Gilmore & Glenn so they aren't screwed next year or just sign some much needed depth players as some have & will leave via FA.

I think the 3 vets they need to talk with is 1) Kyle Williams. He is going into his 11th year is it ? Not to mention he is coming off a injury. I wrote to Chris at BB.com & he reply'd that " they would not try to restructure WIlliams because he is to valuable as a leader on the team & he deserves the contract he has ."

And i get it !

But if they were to follow a winners plan such as the Pats he may all ready be gone to bring in more young talent for the future . I see what Chris is saying but they need to think of the future & not the past ! Unless it is a Brady or D. Breez

Then they need to talk to 2) Woods to get him a more reasonable contract. If he was a pro bowl type center he might be free to not be put included in this conversation but he's not .

Then 3) there is Arron Williams. He is coming off a injury & they don't know (although he has been cleared to play) if after the first or second hit this year if he will even be around . If he does get a hit & can't continue to play then there will be dead money for his contract not to mention the full cap hit .

Williams him self even said he won't know until he takes that first hit if he will be good to go . Whaley & company seem to be confident that he will be alright but you never know. Even if he didn't have the injury they could still get some cap cash to work with.

If those guys are about winning & want to see this thing go where they want it to then i would think that they would be willing to give up a little cash to have other good players brought into the fold weather it be through the draft or FA.

I understand they need to keep their own, Glenn, Gilmore, (possibly Tyrod) Taylor, Watkins & more draft prospects this year that will be the future of the team & even though i think Kyle, Arron, & Woods have been good players they need to look forward not back & do what they can to ensure a winning future !

I love KW but honestly don't see the point of him in a "traditional 3-4".

One of the primary excuses we got for the bad D last year was because of compromises that had to be made to suit the skillsets of 1 gap defenders.

We don't really want to hear the excuses again.

I would try to trade him.

If he is is healthy he may have late 3rd-4th round value because he can rush the passer and his contract is favorable if he is allowed to shoot gaps and play a high % of downs.

He'd look good in Denver to replace Malik Jackson.

lol, except Wood did go to the ProBowl, but I get what you mean.

Edited by Uffalo Ills

I love KW but honestly don't see the point of him in a "traditional 3-4".

One of the primary excuses we got for the bad D last year was because of compromises that had to be made to suit the skillsets of 1 gap defenders.

We don't really want to hear the excuses again.

I would try to trade him.

If he is is healthy he may have late 3rd-4th round value because he can rush the passer and his contract is favorable if he is allowed to shoot gaps and play a high % of downs.

He'd look good in Denver to replace Malik Jackson.

He's got a place on the Bills defense but not at his cap hit. He's a perfect fit for Rex's 4-3 under at the open 3-tech position. The problem is Rex is multiple, so he might play more one week and less another depending on the game plan. That's not worth a $8m cap hit. The other problem is it puts Dareus at the 1-tech DT, with 2-gap responsibility. Dareus can certainly play that position but it's not his strength. It would make more sense to put Dareus at the 3-tech for the 4-3 under and then he can also play the 5-tech or 3-tech in Rex's 3-4. Then, if the Bills pick up a NT he can play the 1-tech in Rex's 4-3 under. It would allow Dareus, who is younger and the Bills just paid a load of money for, to do more damage.

I think Kyle probably stays this year, in a rotational role, but is definitely gone next year because of age and it saves $7m against the cap.

As far as the OP, I don't see the Bills reworking anymore contracts to free up money this year. The FA market was never going to be good for the positions they needed. IMO, they were always going to be looking at second-tier FA. When you draft well, it's important to sign your own (Glenn/Gilmore). As it stands now the Bills have $60m in cap space next season. Once they resign Glenn/Gilmore and cut K. Williams/Graham next off-season, the Bills will be roughly $46m under the cap for 2017. They'll have to decide on Taylor, which if he has a good season the money is there to Franchise him or sign him to a long term deal. The only "big" free-agent next year is Robert Woods. Which if they draft his replacement this year, they don't have to worry about signing. Or they could resign him, the money is there.

The point is, getting cap money this year isn't always the solution when you look at the bigger picture. It pushes money further down the road and limits what the Bills can do. You also have to think about Sammy Watkins, do you really want to free up money this year and push that money further down the road and possibly have problems when it comes to extending him?

He's got a place on the Bills defense but not at his cap hit. He's a perfect fit for Rex's 4-3 under at the open 3-tech position. The problem is Rex is multiple, so he might play more one week and less another depending on the game plan. That's not worth a $8m cap hit. The other problem is it puts Dareus at the 1-tech DT, with 2-gap responsibility. Dareus can certainly play that position but it's not his strength. It would make more sense to put Dareus at the 3-tech for the 4-3 under and then he can also play the 5-tech or 3-tech in Rex's 3-4. Then, if the Bills pick up a NT he can play the 1-tech in Rex's 4-3 under. It would allow Dareus, who is younger and the Bills just paid a load of money for, to do more damage.

I think Kyle probably stays this year, in a rotational role, but is definitely gone next year because of age and it saves $7m against the cap.

As far as the OP, I don't see the Bills reworking anymore contracts to free up money this year. The FA market was never going to be good for the positions they needed. IMO, they were always going to be looking at second-tier FA. When you draft well, it's important to sign your own (Glenn/Gilmore). As it stands now the Bills have $60m in cap space next season. Once they resign Glenn/Gilmore and cut K. Williams/Graham next off-season, the Bills will be roughly $46m under the cap for 2017. They'll have to decide on Taylor, which if he has a good season the money is there to Franchise him or sign him to a long term deal. The only "big" free-agent next year is Robert Woods. Which if they draft his replacement this year, they don't have to worry about signing. Or they could resign him, the money is there.

The point is, getting cap money this year isn't always the solution when you look at the bigger picture. It pushes money further down the road and limits what the Bills can do. You also have to think about Sammy Watkins, do you really want to free up money this year and push that money further down the road and possibly have problems when it comes to extending him?

Yeah I'm certainly not worrying about the cap space they'd gain from cutting KW...........they'd be hard pressed to find a good fit/good value in free agency to even use that much space.

The player that would have been great in this defense and come cheap, Rolondo McClain, signed a one year $5M deal.........other than that there are a handful of old guys like Calvin Pace or Potroast or Cro that could play 50% or more of snaps in this D next year and be good but their value around the league is low.......so the Bills don't necessarily need to cut KW to squeeze one or two of those guys into the D next year.

I agree though......if there is one guy getting upfield on this DL I want it being Dareus and if Williams is in any way preventing Big Stuff from getting his hacks at the QB then he's in the way.