The Life and Times of JP Losman

Mickey

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're flip flopping...take a stand man!

Just kidding, when I read your original post I too thought you had a heavy negative slant to it, but you did point out some positives.

Any attempt to look into JPs college career will not give us any real insight into his pro abilities IMHO. He played for a team that was terrible, in a conference that was terrible. Even if you look at games that he played against top notch college programs we can't get an accurate read on him because he had no supporting cast around him. We will all have to wait and see what this kid can do for us.

FYI when I asked the magis 8 ball if JP would be an excellent QB next year it said, "It is decidedly so."  When I asked the magic 8 ball if JP would win us a SB next year it said, "Most likely."

244885[/snapback]

Well, I can't argue with the eight ball, an unimpeachable source is an unimpeachable source.

We will just have to wait and see. One thing for sure is that he is new and that is always exciting to watch. Going into next year, the biggest question mark on the team is the QB which is also the most important position on the team. I am hoping that Lee Evans and Moulds will make it easy on JP. That is a nice pair for a new QB to lean on.

the guy who he seems most like is favre, and the teams they both played for are probably pretty similar in terms of competition and records. southern miss wasn't a very good program and wasn't talent laden, but when favre was there they were respectable. favre strikes me as having had the same type of mobility as losman, and the same penchant to force some throws. but he also produced lots of big plays and TDs using his escapability. one can only hope that we have a favre (the best player i've seen in my lifetime, in my humble opinion), and i certainly wouldn't expect it. that said, that's who he's most comparable too in terms of skill set, draft position (favre was taken with the 31st pick overall), and college background.

244900[/snapback]

I think that is a valid comparison in the limited way you present it. I haven't really thought much about who he reminds me of but in terms of skills, Favre and JP are pretty similar. Strong arm, fearless, excitable, good movement in the pocket and a little pig headed. Kelly had some of those traits.

One thing I worry about is that he is from southern California. It seems silly but I am RJ-shy when it comes to the surfing set. :o

well people do tend to over look negatives if you like something

we best keep the 5 second clock

Negatives: Has the nimble feet to avoid the rush but will take a sack rather than throw the ball away (holds on to the ball too long) … Vocal type, but still learning what it takes to be a leader (has made steady strides though) … Throws a nice, tight spiral, but needs to take a little zip off his short tosses … Shows good judgement most of the time, but has been known to throw into traffic when he can not elude the rush.

I gotta say that I think you're being a little paranoid. He may or may not support Losman, but he relayed some stats. Obviously there's more to the story like having a horrible o-line and no receivers, but stats are stats and outcomes are outcomes.

244896[/snapback]

Stats are meaningless out of context. It was the additional commentary which pushed it over the edge.

I am hoping that Lee Evans and Moulds will make it easy on JP.  That is a nice pair for a new QB to lean on.

244911[/snapback]

This is the one thing that many people here seem to forget when they get all uptight about having an unproven QB lead this team.

JP has a great supporting cast. Did we win 9 games (and almost win 3 more) last year because of Drew's ability? I think we can all agree, NO! We won because we had excellent play from our special teams, defense and a major improvement by our OL and Willis.

JP will be starting next year with Moulds and Evans outside and Willis in the backfield. I think the OL showed great improvement through the second half of the season and whether we retain JJ or not, I suspect that TD will be actively looking to improve the line in FA.

I for one am not worried that much about JP's first year as a starter; I just don't see a big drop-off in production compared to Bledsoe last year. We shall see, and remember the magic 8 ball knows all.

LOL!

I think that is a valid comparison in the limited way you present it.  I haven't really thought much about who he reminds me of but in terms of skills, Favre and JP are pretty similar.  Strong arm, fearless, excitable, good movement in the pocket and a little pig headed.  Kelly had some of those traits.

One thing I worry about is that he is from southern California.  It seems silly but I am RJ-shy when it comes to the surfing set. :o

244927[/snapback]

j.p. went to venice high school, which i can assure you is filled with some rough characters. r.j. is from a very wealthy neighborhood in O.C., and fits the surferdude from the upper middle class stereotype far better. in other words, they're close in terms of geographical proximity, but from completely different worlds.

That is fair enough.  I guess what I am not sure about is what constitutes fumbling "a lot"??  Is that really more than most?  Average? Less than most?

244935[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, I love that JP is starting next year. It just seemed that every sentence said fumble.

Now that JP is the man, lets take an in depth look at his college stats.  He replaced the graduated Pat Ramsey in 2002 as the starter at Tulane.  Here is the Reader’s Digest version of the life and times of one JP Losman:

His 2002 season:

He opens against Division I-AA Southern and pulls off a 37-19 win.  He was 13 of 23 for 183 yards and ran 5 times for 37 yards including a 4 yard TD run.  He had two TD passes of 18 and 44 yards.  Midway through the second quarter, he was playing so bad they pulled him for a couple series to calm him down.  I couldn’t find a play by play on this one or stats on sacks or fumbles.

In his second start he gets a win against Houston, 34-13.  He goes 14 of 25 for 208 with 1 int., 2 fumbles and 2 TD (37 and 28 yards).  He was sacked 3 times.  Of his 3 turnovers, Houston got a FG once and fumbled it back inside the Tulane 10 twice so JP got away with some goofs that time.  He rushes 5 times for -14 yards.

The following week against East Carolina, JP loses his first game 24-20 on the road in the rain.  He goes 31-47 and 236 yards but throws a pick that led to a FG. No TD passes. He was sacked twice for -28.  One of those came on 2nd and goal from the 6, a loss of 9 yards that forced Tulane to kick a FG instead of getting the TD.  He rushes 7 times for minus 12.

JP loses another one, this time to Memphis in a blow out, 38-10.  He goes 21-31 for 188 and a pick with 1 TD pass late in the fourth after it was pretty much over.  He was sacked 5 times for 39 backward yards.  However, he does have one 22 yard run.  His pick was in the first quarter and was returned 48 yards leading to a TD that put them behind 14-zip.  He had a number of fumbles but at least two were recovered by his own guys.  He was replaced in the 3rd quarter for two series before being put back in.

Tulane and JP are next blown out 49-0 by Texas, then ranked 3rd in the nation.  He was sacked 4 times for -41 yards and was 13-29 for only 127.  He gained 40 yards on some runs to offset the 41 lost on the sacks.  He threw two picks and overthrew an open receiver in the endzone.  He also had a TD pass dropped.  Yeech.

JP has a field day against powerhouse Louisiana-Monroe and gets a win, 52-9.  He goes 21-35 and 300 yards with 4 tds and only one pick and one sack.  He fumbles once but his own guys get it.  He runs only a few times for not much.

JP gets another win, this time against Cincinnati, 35-17.  He finishes 14-23 for 163 including 2 TDs and he runs for one as well.  He is sacked 4 times and fumbles once.  Five runs for 24 yards not including the negative yardage from the 4 sacks.

JP gets another win as Tulane beats Alabama-Birmingham, then 3-4, by the score of 35-14.  He goes 15-25 but for only 108 yards.  He did throw for 2 TDs and ran for one, a 7 yard scamper on 4th and 1.  He was sacked only once and had 5 runs for 24 yards.

Tulane beats up on Navy (1-7) by the score of 51-30.  JP has a great day going 25-35 for 329 yards and 5 TD passes against just one interception.  No stats available to check on sacks.

Tulane and JP get embarrassed by 1-9 Army, 14-10, at home no less.  JP is sacked 5 times and goes 24-40 for only 172 yards with 2 interceptions including one at the Army 23 with 40 seconds left as Tulane was trying to finish off a potential game winning drive.  He earlier threw one at the goal line on a 2nd and 10 play from the Army 24.  No TD passes but he did run for one.

Tulane finishes the season with a 31-10 win against 6-5 Southern Miss.  JP goes 11-19 and 165 yards including a 64 yard TD pass on a 3rd and 12 play.  He ran 5 times for 28 yards and was sacked only once for a 4 yard loss.  No picks and no fumbles.

Tulane beats Hawaii in the Hawaii bowl, 36-28.  JP was 20-39 for 240 yards.  He ran 12 times for 21 yards including two short TD runs. 

For the season, JP goes 205-327, 16 TD passes, 8 picks and approx 24 sacks.

His 2003 season:

Tulane opens with a loss to TCU 38-35.  JP throws a pick just inside TCU territory in the middle of the 4th Q. with Tulane down 31-28.  The pick leads to a TCU touchdown making it 38-28 with only 5 or 6 minutes left.  Tulane scores but the ensuing onside kick is recovered by TCU.  JP goes 25-42 for 303 and 2 TDs but throws 2 picks, is sacked 3 times and fumbled once but it was recovered by Tulane.  He lost 27 yards on the sacks but gained 51 yards on 4 carries, netting him 24 yards on the ground.

Tulane gets their first win of the season against Northwestern State winning in OT 27-24.  This game was all but lost when NW State’s kicker missed a short field goal at the buzzer that would have won it.  JP goes 29-48 for 353 and 4TDs to go against 1 pick, 1 fumble and 3 sacks for minus 27.  The fumble was deep inside the opponents territory so that one hurt.

JP has one of his best games as Tulane upsets Mississippi State 31-28.  They were down 14 in the 4th when JP threw 3 of his 4 TD passes.  He goes 29-47 for 4TDs, no picks, no fumbles and only 1 sack.  He runs for 17 on 5 carries.

Tulane and JP romp over Army, 50-33.  He goes 26-34 for 350, no picks, no fumbles and 5, count ‘em, 5 TD passes.  He is sacked twice and runs 6 times for 33 yards.  This avenges their humiliating loss to Army in 2002.

Texas obliterates Tulane, 68-18.  JP has a pretty miserable day going 13-29 for 186, 2 picks, 1 fumble and only 1 TD.  Down 7-0, he fumbled after being sacked on their first series turning it over to Texas at Tulane’s 13 yard line, Texas promptly makes it 14-0.  However, JP shows his pluck by completing a 77 yard pass the very next series ultimately leading to a TD.  That was, however, pretty much the only highlight of the day for Tulane.  JP is also sacked 4 times.

In a C-USA showdown, Tulane loses to Houston 45-42.  The game was made close by a furious comeback by Tulane who was down 28-7 at the half and 42-21 in the 3rd Q.  JP goes 25-34, 264 and 1 pick.  He throws for 3 and runs for 2 touchdowns and was only sacked once and that was on the last play of the game.  He engineers an 84 yard drive in 8 plays that took only 1:41 off the clock.  Even though he lost the game, I am willing to bet that of all his college games, this is the one that caught TD and MM’s eye more than any other he played.  They were down and had to throw like crazy so Houston was after him and still, he made play after play.  On top of that Houston was a good team that year, much better than Army.

Tulane’s ugly defense again lays an egg as Tulane loses to Louisville, 47-28.  JP has a decent day going 16-29 for 243 and 3TDs but he also throws 2 picks and is sacked 3 times, losing 27, he had 5 runs for 28 yards.  One pick is returned 33 yards for a TD.

JP has his worst game of the year as Tulane gets dumped by Memphis, 41-9 to drop to

3-5 on the season.  JP goes 12-32 for just 105 yards, is sacked 3 times losing 30 yards and throws 2 picks, one of which was returned for a touchdown in the second quarter.

Things get worse for JP and Tulane as they go down to Navy 35-17.  He goes 25-38 for 198 and for the third game in a row, throws 2 picks.  He has only one TD pass and he is sacked twice.

JP gets back on track against Alabama Birmingham, winning 38-24.  He goes 16-33 for 255 and 3 TD against only one pick, zero sacks and he runs 4 times for 33.  One TD pass is a 78 yarder.

Tulane falls to 4-7 after losing to Southern Miss 28-14.  JP has a good day going 21-36 for 244 and 2 TDs, no turnovers and only one sack.

JP finishes his college career with a win against a very weak East Carolina team (they finished 1-10 that year).  He goes 14-20 for 227 and 4 TDs against only 1 pick.  He threw an 87 yard TD pass, the longest of his career.  He also engineered a 7 play 80 yard drive in the 4th quarter that sealed the win.  He was sacked 5 times losing 45 yards.

For the season, he goes 251-422 with 27 TD passes, 13 picks and 24 sacks.

Essentially, he finished his college career as a 60% passer with twice as many TDs as picks and averaged about 2 sacks a game and while he is no Vick, showed good mobility.

244779[/snapback]

Thanks for the time you put in. It's really the first stats on his college career that I've seen.

Mick, the reading around here is a lot better ever since I quit PPP and didn't look back, and discovered the Ignore feature. It's really beautiful.

245056[/snapback]

Yeah, I gave it up myself recently and am sticking to football. I haven't tried the ignore button yet but I guess that is the next step.

Actually, what I did was put his stats, good and bad in one place on a game by game basis with a little info on each taken from Tulane's own press clippings.  Of course, that required that I actually read all of them including the linked play by play reports rather than just cut and paste a general summary with no context.  That is why I was able to remark, for example, that despite making a mistake on one play, he came right back the next series to complete a long one.

Never the less, by all means, feel free to mischaracterize the post as including only his negative plays.  Why let the truth get in the way?

244809[/snapback]

Mick posts a long manifesto, pats himself on the back that he posted a long manifesto, and then gets defensive when someone has the unmitigated gall to post a retort. And dont forget that sneaky inclusion of just a thimble full of "the other point of view" so that if someone DARE call him "biased" on an issue, he can point to that five word "other point of view" as "proof" that he isnt, as if those five words outweigh the other 5,000. Yep, its just like the PPP!

Seriously...calm down Mr. Important. You took a negative POV of Losman's career, which is fine. All I did was say "OK, now here's a positive spin." Nothing more, nothing less. Relax.

Mick posts a long manifesto, pats himself on the back that he posted a long manifesto, and then gets defensive when someone has the unmitigated gall to post a retort. And dont forget that sneaky inclusion of just a thimble full of "the other point of view" so that if someone DARE call him "biased" on an issue, he can point to that five word "other point of view" as "proof" that he isnt, as if those five words outweigh the other 5,000. Yep, its just like the PPP!

Seriously...calm down Mr. Important. You took a negative POV of Losman's career, which is fine. All I did was say "OK, now here's a positive spin." Nothing more, nothing less. Relax.

245084[/snapback]

since i never check out the ppp board (a football posting board is hardly the place where i want to talk politics with people), i'm slowly learning that the attacks on the original truly unobjectionable post are tied to deeper-seated issues that stretch beyond football. pretty ridiculous, actually. all i saw was a post that described his production in matter of fact detail, similar to AP stringer wrapups of unimportant games between midlevel division 1A teams.

I thought the guy could run? man he got killed in sacks and fumbling

and the picks were horrid as well

Let's remember this is college..........the Nfl boys will kill you

Let's pray everyone lol  :o

244903[/snapback]

I've seen more of Tulane than I care to recall. Don't under estimate how horrible his Oline was in college. I'm talking Mike Pucillo X5 suckage. His senior year, every one of his starting Olineman were freshman or sophmore. 3 of the starting olineman weighed in the 260lbs. range, definitely undersized. If you watch Tulane, you would have seen JP and Mewelde Moore were men among boys out there. That's all they had.

http://tulane.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?SID=955

I agree that you really can't compare college stats with pro stats. The Tulane defense sucked something fierce; JP comes in to the Bills, where he has (arguably... and I would argue) the best defense and the best special teams in football (if you gave us a new kicker).

In Tulane he had to win the games, in Buffalo, he will only have to not lose them. Bledsoe (although I love the guy... I truly do) lost games for us. I'm especially thinking about that Baltimore game, whereafter I wanted to curse Bledsoe out.

JP has shown the nack to come from behind, JP has shown the nack to play when things are not going well, JP has shown that he can actually run.

I am most afraid of his fumbles. I have to think that there are too many there. Maybe that was because he had such a porous line with the Green Wave.

I am excited about JP though. Really excited!!!

I've seen more of Tulane than I care to recall. Don't under estimate how horrible his Oline was in college. I'm talking Mike Pucillo X5 suckage. His senior year, every one of his starting Olineman were freshman or sophmore. 3 of the starting olineman weighed in the 260lbs. range, definitely undersized. If you watch Tulane, you would have seen JP and Mewelde Moore were men among boys out there. That's all they had.

http://tulane.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?SID=955

245096[/snapback]

I'll buy that. That is one thing I wondered about when I was checking out the number of sacks. There was no way to tell much about the quality of the line from just reading about the games. I thought that simply given how much they had to play from behind, it was encouraging that he still didn't get sacked much.