SALARY CAP QUESTION

BeantownRob

9 mil for m. williams!! jeez - we need to restructure that for sure. bastard should take a pay cut, but that wont happen.

thanks for these numbers clump.

245083[/snapback]

You're welcome....

I couldn't do some of what I do without some "insider" assistance. Unfortunately, the guy who gave me the Williams' no longer posts at BZ :o

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthrea...lliams+contract

Post #19

These numbers have been very accurate

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...spx?player=2514

also confirms some of these numbers

245071[/snapback]

man, we are getting f*cked on this deal........what a dumb move by TD putting in these tiered bonuses.........mikey has us by the balls and can make a ton by just sitting back and collecting his checks........if he wants to play this by the dollars, he has no motivation to touch his deal.......his salaries are fat and better then anyting we can offer him in signing bonus.......if he wants to help us out, we need to get an extension signed ASAP........

man, we are getting f*cked on this deal........what a dumb move by TD putting in these tiered bonuses.........mikey has us by the balls and can make a ton by just sitting back and collecting his checks........if he wants to play this by the dollars, he has no motivation to touch his deal.......his salaries are fat and better then anyting we can offer him in signing bonus.......if he wants to help us out, we need to get an extension signed ASAP........

No we have him by the balls. Deal Henry for Shelton and bye-bye overpaid Mike Williams. Use the cash to resign Phat Pat, Jonas and a LG. Then you have an OL like this...

LT - Jonas

LG - Wahle

C - Teague/Tucker

RG - Villarial

RT - Shelton

Will Shelton be any worse than Williams? Shelton also makes a helluva lot less.

Bottom line MW either severely restructures or he is gone.

245089[/snapback]

One of the big pieces of leverage on players to encourage them to act correctly is that even if they have a competitive relationship with the owners that would tend a layer toward threatening or deciding to screw his bosses because they might screw him, the teamates have a collaborative relationship with each other.

MW may have the right under contract to stick with the agreement the Bills voluntarily signed with him, but to keep an outrageous contract his play clearly does not merit will hurt his teammates and their chances to win the game they all play and have been rewarded for doing so.

MW hasevery right under the American system of commerce to screw the owners by forcing them to keep their word and to screw his teammates as well. However, if he does this it is going to be a long season as he goes to work each day with these teammates and listens to the mounting ragging in the local media he will get.

MW already reacted to a bad situation in an unprofessional manner last off-season. His team responded with a good carrot and stick approach with JMac sending out the word MW may be moved to the lower paying position of guard, but the team rewarding him with a gameball when he played well at tackle.

I hope they keep up this carrot and stick approach, but it strikes me as working best when the stick is applied by pressure from his teaamates rather than heavy-handed prodding from the team or the usual blather from the media and us fans.

I gotta work at 11pm....I'll be back then :o

Before I go, by no means I'm I saying the Bills are in bad cap shape. They ARE in good shape and have many ways to find cap space for 2005 without adversely affecting future cap years. What truly bothers me is the lack of accuracy in the local media. I guess that's what happens in a 1 newspaper/1 sports radio station town.

Thank goodness for the web :o

I wouldn't give up Mike Williams. He was the 4th overall pick in 2002 and with that comes a contract like this. The deal was designed this way to force a re-working of the deal.

A couple of things clumpy....

1- Who cares where he was picked. He's not playing like Ogden, Pace or Jones to justify it.

2- If NE showed us ANYTHING, its that one plkayer doesn't matter. Depth and across the board talent does. You can have one superstar paid big bucks and it hurts your team. It really hurts your team when he's not playing like a 9 mill tackle. Give me 5 guys making above average salary and I'll beat you.

3- Just a question, what are the ramifications if we release him. How much would he count against our cap this year?

Mike Williams will rework that deal....I have no doubt

And then the bills will be right back up there in good cap shape....

I hope you are correct John, I'd rather see him here. But not at those numbers, numbers that will hinder the Bills from improving.

A couple of things clumpy....

1- Who cares where he was picked.  He's not playing like Ogden, Pace or Jones to justify it.

245107[/snapback]

Where players are picked depends on what the approximate value of their initial contract will be. Players are being paid for potential. MW is still under his initial contract. How much he is making has nothing to do with his play as compared to Ogden, Pace, Jones, etc...

I am confident he will be restructured.

Trading Travis is emminent to me.....he is a cancer on the bench...thats another million

245108[/snapback]

On the contrary, TH is a cancer in the internet world of TSW but he shows real signs of being a cancer to the Bills.

1. Henry is working hand and glove with TD to get him traded which gives the Bills maximum value for him and also gives him maximum value from his FA contract. I've seen cancers and I believe me TH is no cancer to this team as the relationship with a cancer would feature both sides (usually the player) bad mouthing each other.

2. Henry has said many things about his desire to go elsewhere and about him being a productive RB when used properly , but his comments about the Bills beyond saying we should have used him more have not been negative about the team or the institution. If he were badmouthing Ralph, TD or WM then I would say he is a cancer but if he has I haven't seen the quote.

3. Many posters seem to go out of their way to turn anything TH does or says into some alleged cancer. He clearly has bad musical tastes (as seen in one article where the interview seemed to be done over the din or his stereo). TH was sitting on the bench while WM racked up yardage (though complaints from some posters about him pouting seem neither here nor there to me, if he were shown laughing they would probably complain about him obviously not caring if he were cut so I'm not sure how he was supposed to act or what gameface he was supposed to show last year. The only negative thing I can remember TH saying in particular in the past year plus was some badmouthing of Kevin Killdrive he joine Ruben and Winfield in doing. Like those two he will probably be gone, but those comments were not cancerous about Killdrive they were simply true/

4. TD and the Bills have clearly said thy would not trade him unless they got the right deal, Henry was given permission to and has tried to make the right deal happen. My guess is that it will happen, but if it doesn't then it will serve both TDs and THs interests for Henry to suit up and back-up WM. The Bills need a #2 RG badly. No one expects WM to carry it 40 times a game like we want and to survive. No one intelligent expects a small body like Shaud Williams to stand-up to carrying the rock 30+ in a game multiple games in a row if we are forced to start our back-up RN instead of using him to give WM a blow and as a change-up. TH is under contract next year and if the Bills cannot get value for him in a trade then by far the best move for him is to shut up and be a reserve for WM and look for a chance to out 100 yards due to an injury or nick to WM and cash in as FA when he his contract ends.

If TH were to sit out he would not accrue time to being an FA and would remain Bill's property. If he were to pout and show up to punch the clock and accrue time but not really try hard, it would lower his ability to sign a big FA contract as a second unproductive year in a row would be added to his resume and the Bills would be correct to badmouth him privately and questions would spring up abou the injury that ended his season last year.

There are no real signs that TH is a cancer and though I think we will get a deal that allows us to trade him (in my book a draft pick is a fantasy value and I would prefer we get a proven vet we need- even one of lesser talent than Henry in exchange for him) I will not be shocked if Henry glues a smile on his face and back-ups WM to maximize his monet next year.