NHL substitute. College Hockey? Yep

Dante

For the last month Ive been watching college hockey on the FSN stations. It reminds me of what hockey should be. Lots of back and forth action and a fair amount of contact. Only the body check kind not the clutch and grab kind. When I lived in Canada I could watch JR.A on TV but that isnt possible here in cali. Anyway, ive been getting a kick out of watching the Minnesota Gophers go up against Michigan and Alaska-Anchorage etc. I wonder if Alaska Darian follow that Alaska college team at all. Anyway great exciitng hockey if anyone is looking for a fix. I upgraded my Direct TV programming to get all the FSN stations just so i could watch.

I'm sorry. You guys can all have your AHL and college hockey. That's all fun and nice, but saying it replaces NHL hockey is just sad.

That would be like saying if the NFL missed a season you would not only be content, but more happy watching the CFL or Arena Football, or NCAA ball.

Watching college hockey is OK. Fine. But it will never be close to watching the NHL in my book.

I'm sorry. You guys can all have your AHL and college hockey. That's all fun and nice, but saying it replaces NHL hockey is just sad.

That would be like saying if the NFL missed a season you would not only be content, but more happy watching the CFL or Arena Football, or NCAA ball.

Watching college hockey is OK. Fine. But it will never be close to watching the NHL in my book.

244711[/snapback]

Then you havent seen enough of it stoj...its really a great game...i enjoyed 4 great yrs of free college hockey at clarkson, and got to the ECAC tourney...such an awesome game, plus you have the college atmosphere...

Then you havent seen enough of it stoj...its really a great game...i enjoyed 4 great yrs of free college hockey at clarkson, and got to the ECAC tourney...such an awesome game, plus you have the college atmosphere...

244715[/snapback]

OK, fine.

How much is this FSN program on DirecTV? I'll watch college hockey this weekend...

I still won't like it.... :w00t:

:P

OK, fine.

How much is this FSN program on DirecTV? I'll watch college hockey this weekend...

I still won't like it.... :w00t:

:P

244727[/snapback]

Assuming the games are televised, it's only $10/month for all of the regional sports networks. I know NBA and MLB games are blacked out, but I doubt college games are.

That said, a good quality college game is just as exciting (if not moreso) than the NHL. The Golden Gophers are lots of fun to watch, but are generally one of the top teams in the nation (won two NCAA championships in the recent past although it's not looking good for this year).

CW

Assuming the games are televised, it's only $10/month for all of the regional sports networks.  I know NBA and MLB games are blacked out, but I doubt college games are.

That said, a good quality college game is just as exciting (if not moreso) than the NHL.  The Golden Gophers are lots of fun to watch, but are generally one of the top teams in the nation (won two NCAA championships in the recent past although it's not looking good for this year).

CW

244749[/snapback]

$10 a month? What do I ask for when I call Fez? Do I say I want college sports networks?

Also, when does the season end, and how are the playoffs set up?

244715[/snapback]

Ramius - fellow North Country alum here, I went to Potsdam. What I wouldn't do for a Sergi's pizza roll right about now :-}

Gotta admit, though I'm a BU fan from my grad school days - Go Terriers!

Hockey East championships coming to Boston in a few weeks, its gonna be GREAT.

$10 a month? What do I ask for when I call Fez? Do I say I want college sports networks?

Also, when does the season end, and how are the playoffs set up?

244752[/snapback]

It's just the regional sports pack, the one that includes Empire (or, included, I should say), FSN North, South, West, gold channel, etc, etc.

I used to buy it to watch the Bills/Browns scrimmage, and then cancel it after football season. Then Empire started sucking, so I never got it again. :w00t:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/Packages_SportsPack.dsp

It costs $12/month but lets you see the local sports shows from all of the markets. You might want to confirm with them that college hockey games aren't blacked out; as I said, I know MLB and NBA games are, as were the NHL games. Sine they don't sell college hockey packages, I'm guessing you can watch them.

Here's the channels you get:

610 CSTV CSTV: College Sports Television

626 EMP Empire

649 FSAZ FOX Sports ARIZONA

654 FOXB FOX Sports BAY AREA

639 FOXC FOX Sports CHICAGO

638 FXCN FOX Sports CINCINNATI

636 FOXD FOX Sports DETROIT

634 FSFL FOX Sports Florida

647 FSMW FOX Sports MIDWEST

620 FOXE FOX Sports NEW ENGLAND

624 FSNY FOX Sports NEW YORK

651 FSNW FOX Sports NORTHWEST

637 FXOH FOX Sports OHIO

628 FOXP FOX Sports PITTSBURGH

645 FSRM FOX Sports ROCKY MTN

630 FXSS FOX Sports SOUTH

643 FSSW FOX Sports SOUTHWEST

652 FOXW FOX Sports WEST

653 FSW2 FOX Sports WEST 2

613 FSC Fox Soccer Channel

612 FUEL Fuel

605 GOLF Golf Channel

629 CSN Home Team Sports

621 MSG Madison Square Garden

720 NBA NBA.com

623 NESN NESN

606 OUT Outdoor Channel

608 OLN Outdoor Life Network

607 SC Speed Channel

632 SUN Sun Sports

602 TVG TVG, Interactive Horseracing

CW

Here in Columbus, Ohio State hockey is pretty big. They average around 10,000 a game so they get pretty healthy crowds. It's not BU, BC, or U of Minn. but it's still good. I go to most of the games and they are great. The team is currently on a tear and is close to catching the damn team from up north (Michigan). When OSU plays Michigan watch out, the arena gets pretty intense. True, the level of play is not at the NHL level. But there is something else about college hockey that makes it special. I can't wait for the Frozen Four this year in Columbus!!!!!

Ramius - fellow North Country alum here, I went to Potsdam. What I wouldn't do for a Sergi's pizza roll right about now :-}

244781[/snapback]

mmmmm....Sergi's. Boy, do I miss those pizza rolls and a late-night delivery from the Bagelry. Yep - another Potsdam alum here. :o

I'll say hands down that college hockey is worth it. I watched Clarkson for 4 years, now I'm a season ticket holder at Union College in Schenectady (fellow ECAC member). If you get that package, see if you can get CSTV, also. They show a hockey game every Friday night and will be showing the ECAC championships in Albany next month.

Watching it on TV is great, but it does no justice compared to being at the game. If you ever get the chance, I recommend seeing a Cornell-Harvard game at Lynah (in Ithaca). The fans and the band combined are probably the best in the league.

I don't follow the college game here - mostly because the team isn't very good so they play a 1-4 trapping style that makes me crazy. Especially since they suck at it.

They have a hard time recruiting as the most talented Alaskan kids go the major junior route. Those who don't tend to go places like CC or Denver. It's tough to get kids here because their paradigm of Alaska is as retarded as most of the posters here. They have good success with those they get to actually visit, however.

I don't care as much for the college game because of the amount of stickwork and the lack of physicality. If I had the choice, I'd watch the WHL (major junior). That's terrific hockey. My second choice would be the Quebec Senior Men's league (known as something else now). Really good talent and lotsa scrums.

Cornell hockey rocks!  Taking in a home game at Lynah Rink is an unforgetable experience.  #4 in the country and on a roll!

244726[/snapback]

Indeed, there is no place in the world that I'd rather watch a hockey game than Lynah. Its one of the very few places where the home crowd can really effect the outcome of the game....I wish every hockey fan could see one Harvard at Cornell game in their lifetime.

ESPNU is starting on March 4th...they say that they will be covering a lot of college hockey...so try to get that on cable/satellite.

I don't care as much for the college game because of the amount of stickwork and the lack of physicality.  If I had the choice, I'd watch the WHL (major junior).  That's terrific hockey.  My second choice would be the Quebec Senior Men's league (known as something else now).  Really good talent and lotsa scrums.

244984[/snapback]

I

Granted I havent been watching College hockey for long but I havent noticed any more stickwork than the NHL but again Ive only watched a 12 games or so. I really do love JrA hockey but I have no access to it here in California. I used to really enjoy the OHA when I lived in Ontario but at this point I have to take what I can get. Me and my brother in law enjoy so much sitting down on saturday and watching HNIC starting at 4pm here and then watching the San Jose Sharks at 7pm. Nice double header with a few Pacifico's(Budwiesers in his case). For now we will have to substitute.