Manny Lawson Called the Bills' D at the End of 2015 Season

@BuffRumblings

Cc32DSTW4AEmvC9.jpg

That's an interesting tidbit for two reasons: it helps to explain why Ryan and the Bills' coaching staff spoke so glowingly of Lawson throughout last season (and why Lawson's job status has never seriously been questioned this offseason despite a fairly bloated contract), and it speaks negatively to the confidence that the coaches have in Brown following a rough sophomore season.

"It's not good enough to just know your job. You've got to bark it out and be the quarterback back there," Ryan said of Brown at the NFL Combine this year. "And he can do it. He's a smart enough kid, and his dad is a football coach. So he's got to come out of his shell. David Harris was a quiet guy, but on the football field he ran the whole thing. He's got to grow into it. It doesn't happen overnight. I think when you come into a new system, it's tougher to play, but yeah, I expect Preston to be able to take that step - and he needs to."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if the reports are they were getting him the packages and plays too late are true.... I'm not sure I would be blaming the second year player in his second scheme for not being totally confident.

Not sure if those reports were true or not but for a guy essentially in his 3rd scheme in 3 years - you've got to put him in positions to be successful and in this situation that includes being clear and decisive in what you relay to him so he has time to process it and spread the info in a clear and decisive manner so his teammates have time to process it.

I do not like the way Ryan handled this. I truly, and I promise that with sincerity, hate that Rex Ryan has to be a factor in this story. But, for him to be speaking the way he did - talking about Brown being smart, and wanting him to step up... it'd be different if Rex Ryan had proved something here. He hasn't.

This is a very divisive statement from Rex Ryan. Especially, we all must consider the other statements. If Ryan is going to keep making shots across the bow as he is with Brown and comparing him to another player he formerly coached after Brown criticized the coaching staff for not doing their job last year than we are in trouble.

If Rex is going to point to everyone elses flaws and compare them to other players, ones he formerly coached with his previous team, no less than he MUST take in to account for his misgivings and shortcomings last year and answer for those.

this is why although Preston has more talent signing Davis makes sense. He has expierencing call the d . It seemed to me that there were a many examples of the defense not in position last year.

They were terrible in the 1st NE game and also the Washington game.

you could look at is as it was impressive that they beat anyone without Gilmore , Arron , Kyle and Bradham

Umm, how is this "blasting" Preston?

eball knows his job, just not getting his team focused on the project. he is a good at his job should be able to get it, his dad was a partner. he's got to learn to step up, though. stan is quiet when it comes to outside of the office but he comes in and he is the ceo every time. that eball hasn't grasped the ceo role yet, he has to learn to mature...eball should get it, and HE HAS TO in order to survive.

how's that for a comparison?

It's a figment of some people's imagination.

no, it's not. why compare someone who is young and learning his second system in his second year to someone who was brought in and understudied a while before taking the helm. harris had a very good defense around him when he joined and learned the role of ryans defense in time.

absolutely no need for bringing up harris, much worse to compare what harris is good at to what brown wasn't. not everyone is a genius. and rex has proven nothing in buffalo yet.

no, it's not. why compare someone who is young and learning his second system in his second year to someone who was brought in and understudied a while before taking the helm. harris had a very good defense around him when he joined and learned the role of ryans defense in time.

absolutely no need for bringing up harris, much worse to compare what harris is good at to what brown wasn't. not everyone is a genius. and rex has proven nothing in buffalo yet.

Nonsense. Nothing wrong with setting expectations on Brown with him playing such a critical position in the defense. "And he can do it. He's a smart enough kid, and his dad is a football coach.

Rex won 8 games with defense that was completely banged up. Jacksonville was all on Ej and they got the bengals while the Jets got the Browns

10 wins

Rex won 8 games with defense that was completely banged up. Jacksonville was all on Ej and they got the bengals while the Jets got the Browns

10 wins

rex proved to be mediogre? awesome.

well, we the buzz word is usually continuity.

Nonsense. Nothing wrong with setting expectations on Brown with him playing such a critical position in the defense. "And he can do it. He's a smart enough kid, and his dad is a football coach.

we'll disagree on this one.

but yes, a lot wrong with it when you do it publicly in the media. you don't make a compliment sandwich in the media. you give compliments and respect. not dirty laundry and failed expectations.