Falcons Ask Eli Apple if He Likes Men in Combine Interview

what stuff exactly? seeing that this kid will run his mouth about anything?

sure, it could be called archaic but many men would simply respond to such a question by doing many other things than it seemed Apple did; such as, say it doesn't matter because i play football. or, ask him what business it is to the guy? seemingly, apple took issue with it and anyone who has a sound mind and maturity directs their issue at the the subject rather than carry it out and air it out to others as gossip.

that's how i would judge apple. i would judge him as if something went wrong in the locker room and something he didn't like or understand, or any such thing he would be the one to start talking about it to others, media, etc. something he doesn't need to do.

of course, you can realize that now going in and evaluate your staff to being up to par dealing with it.

essentially but not literally.

Look you either get it or you don't. This isn't about this kid only. I interview people all the time and you can't ask this stuff, it is illegal. Yet some neanderthals in the NFL continue to violate the law. If you're fine with that then that's your deal.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look you either get it or you don't. This isn't about this kid only. I interview people all the time and you can't ask this stuff, it is illegal. Yet some neanderthals in the NFL continue to violate the law. If you're fine with that then that's your deal.

...do you measure their 40 yard dash time? or how much they weigh, too?

it's an entirely different situation and set of legalities.

Edited by Boyst62

There's a player on the Bills that's gay and it's well known who it is. You can speculate but if you have any gaydar at all you'll figure out who it is right away just by watching interviews.

I can rattle off 5 current and former Pro-Bowlers off the top of my head that are gay.

And go !

The question and comments were inappropriate. Those types of questions demonstrated how ignorant the interviewer was and didn't reveal anything about the person being interviewed. The organization forcefully repudiated the staffer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/04/falcons-apologize-for-inappropriate-combine-interview-question/

The question and comments were inappropriate. Those types of questions demonstrated how ignorant the interviewer was and didn't reveal anything about the person being interviewed. The organization forcefully repudiated the staffer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/04/falcons-apologize-for-inappropriate-combine-interview-question/

@AroundTheNFL

NFL looking into matter involving Falcons coach who questioned prospect about his sexuality http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641448/article/nfl-looking-into-coach-who-questioned-prospect-about-sexuality

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said he has spoken to the coach who asked Apple the question.

"I am really disappointed in the question that was asked by one of our coaches," Quinn said in a statement released by the team. "I have spoken to the coach that interviewed Eli Apple and explained to him how inappropriate and unprofessional this was. I have reiterated this to the entire coaching staff and I want to apologize to Eli for this even coming up. This is not what the Atlanta Falcons are about and it is not how we are going to conduct ourselves."

understood that they aren't tactful to all and appropriate for everyone.

whilst this man may be chastised or even lose his job because of sjw's, apple still comes off poorly and loses the most stock.

the backtracking by the falcons is obviously part of pr, they want to appease everyone and make eveyone they can happy. good or bad, its the way it goes.

There are more gay players in the NFL than you would expect. There's a player on the Bills that's gay and it's well known who it is. You can speculate but if you have any gaydar at all you'll figure out who it is right away just by watching interviews.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all this "gay talk" in the NFL is so disingenuous. Something about it bugs me. Not sure what it is. I can rattle off 5 current and former Pro-Bowlers off the top of my head that are gay.

Either I'm a fool or I don't watch enough Bills interviews because I have no idea.

Stupid, stupid thing for someone to ask, but equally stupid for Eli to divulge the team. Poor judgment on his part.

Nope. Very smart of Apple to divulge. You realize the Falcons may have broken the law with that question? Edited by PromoTheRobot

Serious?!

It's a job interview...it's literally a job interview. How is it not a job interview?

To ask that question is ridiculous. Do you think it would be acceptable for teams to ask draft picks what time of month their wives menstrual cycle is in fear of the draft pick "having a difficult week"??? You see where I'm going there? It's an invasion of privacy.

The question of sexual preference is an inherent violation of constitutional rights. The right to free association is a protected 2nd amendment right. Whether or not it is a social issue in the locker room is seperate and should never be asked by an employer. This isn't a gay rights issue...it's an invasion of privacy, violation of free speech (right to free association is seen as free speech) and this constitutional issue a team has trampled on during an interview....

Edited by LIBILLS25

Serious?!

It's a job interview...it's literally a job interview. How is it not a job interview?

To ask that question is ridiculous. Do you think it would be acceptable for teams to ask draft picks what time of month their wives menstrual cycle is in fear of the draft pick "having a difficult week"??? You see where I'm going there? It's an invasion of privacy.

The question of sexual preference is an inherent violation of constitutional rights. The right to free association is a protected 2nd amendment right. Whether or not it is a social issue in the locker room is seperate and should never be asked by an employer. This isn't a gay rights issue...it's an invasion of privacy, violation of free speech (right to free association is seen as free speech) and this constitutional issue a team has trampled on during an interview....

You sure?

understood that they aren't tactful to all and appropriate for everyone.

whilst this man may be chastised or even lose his job because of sjw's, apple still comes off poorly and loses the most stock.

the backtracking by the falcons is obviously part of pr, they want to appease everyone and make eveyone they can happy. good or bad, its the way it goes.

I don't see how Apple comes off poorly and in any way his reactions about the interview affect his evaluation. To a small degree it shows that he isn't a silent slug who is going to sit through a situation that isn't appropriate.

The questions by the coach were more than not tactful, they were inappropriate. The questions were not appropriate for anyone in an interview setting. The issue isn't some people are more sensitive or not; the issue is that those type of gender/sexual questions are completely out of line. As I said in the prior post the ignorant comments by the coach demonstrated little about Apple as much as it demonstrated how stupid the coach is.

Nope. Very smart of Apple to divulge. You realize the Falcons may have broken the law with that question?

Not the way he did. He should have told the league if he wanted to say something about it. Joking about it (it sure sounded like that to me) like he did was poor judgement.

I don't see how Apple comes off poorly and in any way his reactions about the interview affect his evaluation. To a small degree it shows that he isn't a silent slug who is going to sit through a situation that isn't appropriate.

The questions by the coach were more than not tactful, they were inappropriate. The questions were not appropriate for anyone in an interview setting. The issue isn't some people are more sensitive or not; the issue is that those type of gender/sexual questions are completely out of line. As I said in the prior post the ignorant comments by the coach demonstrated little about Apple as much as it demonstrated how stupid the coach is.

I'll take a minute to reply to ya because I respect your insight. But I'm on my mobile and getting sleepy.

First off this is one sided thus far and despite Atlanta apologizing it doesn't have much leverage. Atlanta must apologize if an intern in the A/V department farts too close to a midget. Its just the way the world works. So their apology isn't much weight in to this situation. Its a one sided story where we here after the fact that the question was asked. We don't hear anyone account for Apples behavior before, after or during the question. We don't ha e any insight at all. If apple is to be a stand up guy he addresses the issue then and there. Puts it to rest. He tells the coach hey bro. Not that it is your business at all but I have no problems with anyone. I respect all people and their choices but I feel as if your question was insensitive and inappropriate. You need not concern yourself with my personal beliefs of such things because I want to focus on playing football and contributing to my team no matter who is on it.

Of course, apple could have moosh mouthed some nonsense reply about how he doesn't care about anything and gave a lame answer not thinking twice. Or he could have gave a poignant dignified response like I provided above.

It still does not take away that he spoke out about the issue. He had no reason to do so... at all.

The coach maybe stupid but the coach isn't the one being graded, vetted, poked and pried. And I have supreme confidence in my opinion that some scouts and personnel men in the league will ding this as a negative for apple. Remember this is a league of those in the in. And those on the outside. Apple is still on the outside looking in.

Further, and lastly ... the question is not necessarily inappropriate. It was asked poorly. There are much better ways to ask that question. But, in the test of someone's character and under pressure, as the combine creates, you do not want to ask or go for ordinary. And, maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff or someone overheard or had a reason for the questioning we will never know.

Of course, lots of speculation but its fair to do so. We have heard one side of a story in which we know only a tint bit of the whole event. These types of stories make great headlines - see NYDN/Manning.

You sure?

No...I'm going to make a random statement without knowing facts or being sure....

Yes, I'm sure.

The right to free association has repeatedly been associated, and repeatedly upheld, with the inherent right to free speech...

Edited by LIBILLS25

No...I'm going to make a random statement without knowing facts or being sure....

Yes, I'm sure.

The right to free association has repeatedly been associated, and repeatedly upheld, with the inherent right to free speech...

What does free speech have to do with the 2nd Amendment?

I'll take a minute to reply to ya because I respect your insight. But I'm on my mobile and getting sleepy.

First off this is one sided thus far and despite Atlanta apologizing it doesn't have much leverage. Atlanta must apologize if an intern in the A/V department farts too close to a midget. Its just the way the world works. So their apology isn't much weight in to this situation. Its a one sided story where we here after the fact that the question was asked. We don't hear anyone account for Apples behavior before, after or during the question. We don't ha e any insight at all. If apple is to be a stand up guy he addresses the issue then and there. Puts it to rest. He tells the coach hey bro. Not that it is your business at all but I have no problems with anyone. I respect all people and their choices but I feel as if your question was insensitive and inappropriate. You need not concern yourself with my personal beliefs of such things because I want to focus on playing football and contributing to my team no matter who is on it.

Of course, apple could have moosh mouthed some nonsense reply about how he doesn't care about anything and gave a lame answer not thinking twice. Or he could have gave a poignant dignified response like I provided above.

It still does not take away that he spoke out about the issue. He had no reason to do so... at all.

The coach maybe stupid but the coach isn't the one being graded, vetted, poked and pried. And I have supreme confidence in my opinion that some scouts and personnel men in the league will ding this as a negative for apple. Remember this is a league of those in the in. And those on the outside. Apple is still on the outside looking in.

Further, and lastly ... the question is not necessarily inappropriate. It was asked poorly. There are much better ways to ask that question. But, in the test of someone's character and under pressure, as the combine creates, you do not want to ask or go for ordinary. And, maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff or someone overheard or had a reason for the questioning we will never know.

Of course, lots of speculation but its fair to do so. We have heard one side of a story in which we know only a tint bit of the whole event. These types of stories make great headlines - see NYDN/Manning.

I thought you were an idiot that was full of crap, but then you used the word "whilst", and I thought "This guy is pretty sharp!"