Alex Mack is opting out of his contract with the Browns

Saxum

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cleveland-browns-alex-mack-center-opting-out-contract-free-agent-030216

He very intelligently waited until after tag period was done so he could not be tagged again (remember when playing tag was fun?)

The move shakes up the subpar center market and should set Mack up for a lucrative contract that will once again make him the NFL's highest-paid player at his position.

The 30-year-old Mack initially claimed that title in 2014, when he signed a five-year, $42 million offer sheet from the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Browns had given Mack the transition tag that year, which allowed them to match any offer he received, and they did. (Mack waited until the tag-designation period ended on Tuesday before deciding to opt out so he wouldn't be tagged again.)

even if we could afford him Wood's tremendous pickup in play would make me timid on acquiring him.

though, i worry wood could regress next year especially with any shakeup on the OL.

in a dream world maybe mack at OC and Wood at RG...?

If Wood can play Guard at a decent level, why don't they draft a top prospect Center? Centers can be found without using a high pick. It would give them a strong backup at Center, and strengthen the line overall without spending big money on a free agent.

If Wood can play Guard at a decent level, why don't they draft a top prospect Center? Centers can be found without using a high pick. It would give them a strong backup at Center, and strengthen the line overall without spending big money on a free agent.

I had said this ast year and still not opposed to it. If the top 3 OG's go in the first round the best OC probably will be available. OC's are easier to find than OG's

I had said this ast year and still not opposed to it. If the top 3 OG's go in the first round the best OC probably will be available. OC's are easier to find than OG's

I said this years ago, and was shot down..."why change the position of the one guy that does the job well?"... because he is probably more valuable as a guard.

The best (or at least a top 3) center will be available well after the 1st round.

http://optimumscouting.com/rankings/static-rankings/center-rankings.html

Edited by HoF Watkins

I said this years ago, and was shot down..."why change the position of the one guy that does the job well?"... because he is probably more valuable as a guard.

The best (or at least a top 3) center will be available well after the 1st round.

http://optimumscouting.com/rankings/static-rankings/center-rankings.html

OC is the hardest position on the line even if the LT is he most important.

How sad is it that the Browns tagged their Center?

Anyway, make a 30 year old lineman the highest paid at his position? No thanks. He's a Center and even if his play was several orders of magnitude better than Woods (as if that could even be determined), he wouldn't be worth that price.

You draft Centers.

I am honestly feeling bad for the Browns. With us, you see some measured hope before things come plummeting back to Earth.

Let's go at their last two years: The have two picks in the first round, in one of the most heavy and deep QB classes of recent memory. They have a new, defensive minded coach

They trade back with the Bills to pick at 9 and get a 1st round pick next year. The Bills take Sammy Watkins. The Browns take Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel.

Gilbert busts out horribly, Manziel becomes the stuff TMZ is made of. Josh Gordon gets suspended and is still not back in the league. They start Brian Hoyer. Hoyer leaves. Hoyer goes to the Texans. The Texans go to the playoffs.

I've heard the term "factory of sadness" used. I don't know if it's wrong.

No way can the Bills take on this contract with our releasing more players. The most likely just to make numbers realistic would be Kyle Williams. No thank you on this for a 30 year old center. Pass and find one in the draft.

I am honestly feeling bad for the Browns. With us, you see some measured hope before things come plummeting back to Earth.

Let's go at their last two years: The have two picks in the first round, in one of the most heavy and deep QB classes of recent memory. They have a new, defensive minded coach

They trade back with the Bills to pick at 9 and get a 1st round pick next year. The Bills take Sammy Watkins. The Browns take Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel.

Gilbert busts out horribly, Manziel becomes the stuff TMZ is made of. Josh Gordon gets suspended and is still not back in the league. They start Brian Hoyer. Hoyer leaves. Hoyer goes to the Texans. The Texans go to the playoffs.

I've heard the term "factory of sadness" used. I don't know if it's wrong.

I used to debate with a friend who is a Browns fan about who had it worse. I've come over to his side, easily.

No way can the Bills take on this contract with our releasing more players. The most likely just to make numbers realistic would be Kyle Williams. No thank you on this for a 30 year old center. Pass and find one in the draft.

I used to debate with a friend who is a Browns fan about who had it worse. I've come over to his side, easily.

As a lifelong Browns fan and much more recent Bills fan I'd say you're probably correct. But it really all comes down to what's worse for you personally. Is it the illusion of hope and opportunity for improvement or the despair of hopelessness? The Browns used to be the best of the best (worst of the worst?) in the former category. I used to joke that hope was part of the curse because without it there could be no soul-crushing letdown and fall into despair. But those days are gone. Now it just seems hopeless for the Browns. Even with the very real possibility that Hue Jackson can be a force of positive change and help turn the team around. No, it's believe-it-when-I-see-it time in Cleveland.

The Bills still give their fans hope, but they really havent delivered anything beyond mediocrity (or worse) in a long time. Still, there's such a close margin between 8-8 and making the playoffs at 10-6 I don't blame the fans for getting excited. But I've seen that in Cleveland and I'm admittedly jaded. I no longer look for what could go right for a team or what genius I'm missing in their plan. I no longer assume competence or functionality. But I don't assume the worst either. I'm pretty emotionless about it all, except on game day when just about anything can happen. I really try to see the logic in situations and work through them that way. Usually there's a lot of grey and I've had my mind changed a number of times recently.

I guess my takeaway is this: What's worse? Seeing things as so bad that you really don't get worked up about them anymore or getting excited and hopeful only to have those hopes and dreams repeatedly crushed? Make that choice for yourselves.

How sad is it that the Browns tagged their Center?

Anyway, make a 30 year old lineman the highest paid at his position? No thanks. He's a Center and even if his play was several orders of magnitude better than Woods (as if that could even be determined), he wouldn't be worth that price.

You draft Centers.

LOL poor brownies when I look at their team issues being a Bills fan doesnt feel as bad