Mario Williams released

Classic release and replace in the draft. Classic drought. Classic Bills.

Pretty soon it will be Rex's 3rd season, then it will be classic new coaching hire. Rinse and repeat.

A great deal of you seemed to side with the Bills on this one. I am aware Mario had a sub par season, but he was the most talented player on the roster. Mario was in his 4th defensive scheme in 4 years with the team and before this season, he improved statistically each year. Rex Ryan is the difference here. Not Mario, or his attitude or whatever you want to call it. Drink up the koolaid, but this guy was an absolute stud at DE and will be very difficult, if not impossible to replace. We needed to build around our defensive line, but in classic Buffalo fashion, we let it crumble.

As a fan base, Buffalo has a hard time accepting it when talented players don't meet their lofty expectations. We love to vilify these players. We say that we need players with "heart"...and yet they have gotten us nowhere. We love our Kaletas, our Hogans, our Boobie Dixons, our Eric Woods, our every man that resembles us, and yet we lose constantly.

Obviously this move was expected, but for me, it symbolizes our dysfunctional front office. This is Rex's team now. He refused to adapt to his talent, he brought in his brother, and now he's releasing the players he refused to coach. It's only a matter of time until we sign Cromartie.

Edited by fridge

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty soon it will be Rex's 3rd season, then it will be classic new coaching hire. Rinse and repeat.

A great deal of you seemed to side with the Bills on this one. I am aware Mario had a sub par season, but he was the most talented player on the roster. Mario was in his 4th defensive scheme in 4 years with the team and before this season, he improved statistically each year. Rex Ryan is the difference here. Not Mario, or his attitude or whatever you want to call it. Drink up the koolaid, but this guy was an absolute stud at DE and will be very difficult, if not impossible to replace. We needed to build around our defensive line, but in classic Buffalo fashion, we let it crumble.

As a fan base, Buffalo has a hard time accepting it when talented players don't meet their lofty expectations. We love to vilify these players. We say that we need players with "heart"...and yet they have gotten us nowhere. We love our Kaletas, our Hogans, our Eric Woods, our every man that resembles us, and yet we lose constantly.

Obviously this move was expected, but for me, it symbolizes our dysfunctional front office. This is Rex's team now. He refused to adapt to his talent, he brought in his brother, and now he's releasing the players he refused to coach. It's only a matter of time until we sign Cromartie.

I want all u fortune tellers back in here eating crow if Rex does turn this around get this team to the playoffs

I have to agree. Mario was force the year before Rex gets a hold of the Defense and forces the square peg into a round hole.

Rex can't adapt and because he can't adapt he will be a short term Bills head coach like all the rest of our recent coaches

signing McCoy to big money and killing our cap space in a desperate move to just make the playoffs has also sent us spiraling downwards again. I seriously doubt we are a better team next year... In fact in all these drought years I have never been this uninspired for the offseason... I'm just waiting for the inevitbale lets blow it up and start again campaign.

As a fan base, Buffalo has a hard time accepting it when talented players don't meet their lofty expectations. We love to vilify these players. We say that we need players with "heart"...and yet they have gotten us nowhere. We love our Kaletas, our Hogans, our Boobie Dixons, our Eric Woods, our every man that resembles us, and yet we lose constantly.

Absolute stud? He had 19 tackles in 15 games. Hell I could do that. He didn't put forth any effort because he didn't believe in the scheme and he hurt the defense badly last year. Good riddance.

I would prefer not to share your pessimistic, cynical viewpoint. Let me reiterate: I would prefer not to share, your pessimistic,cynical viewpoint, regardless of how rational, or historically relevant it might be, i would prefer to look forward to the possibilities that things could, in a way, move forward to a more...... sh*t.....

A lot of people think he's going to the Pats now. He's not.

Some compare him to Chandler Jones:

http://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/704734911601709060

There's no chance Mario has the versatility the Patriots* covet on D, I say.

Chandler Jones is very, very good at dropping into coverage and with his contain assignments. Their defense asks him to do a lot. Mario is simply a one dimensional, rush the passer. Not a great fit if you ask me.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The Rex bashers are out in full force on Twitter as this is announced. Blaming the scheme vs the cap number. K.

Actually it's difficult to argue that it wasn't a combination of scheme and his contract. Statistically the defense as a whole took a big step back. Individually that was the same case. I haven't seen one decent argument that refutes it.

I'm upset that the talent he had is no longer with the Bills, but watching a guy stand around and make zero effort on plays was disgusting. Not sure how anyone who is pissed that he's been released thinks that this kind of effort is worth even 7 mil a year, let alone 20.

Chandler Jones is very, very good at dropping into coverage and with his contain assignments. Their defense asks him to do a lot. Mario is simply a one dimensional, rush the passer. Not a great fit if you ask me.

Completely agree. There's become a Pavlovian response in Bills nation that any time a halfway decent, aging player at any position becomes available, then invariably, the Pats* will sign him.

Had to happen. Even when the boss is wrong, even when the boss is a bloviated stubborn waste of oxygen, he's still the boss. Until he's not the boss anymore. The Bills are going to play a much tougher schedule next year, and will be lucky to be 7-9. Could be the last year for Wrecks, opening the door for Schwartz to come back at least as DC. Maybe they get the old gang back and show what they could have done had Wrecks not been such a disaster. So long, Mario, and maybe we'll see you back here in a while (for less money).