Dolphins Transition O. Vernon (update: signs with Giants)

@rapsheet

The #Dolphins have chosen to transition tag DE Olivier Vernon, which gives them the right to match any offer. Interesting choice.

@spotrac

Comes in at $12.734M, puts the #Dolphins in serious cap trouble. #placeholder

I don't get why teams use this. No comp if he leaves.

Edited by Beerball
Adjusted title

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, it's fine for me if they do it, but it puts them $3.5M over the cap. They can make cuts to fit, and pay their rookies, but they weren't terribly deep anywhere last year.

i actually think he will get an offer sheet and leave, like Clay did

i actually think he will get an offer sheet and leave, like Clay did

Jags and Raiders both have to spend like 70 million this offseason to get to the floor. Pass rushers will be overpaid, your right he will probably get an offer or two that will handcuff Miami.

@rapsheet

The #Dolphins have chosen to transition tag DE Olivier Vernon, which gives them the right to match any offer. Interesting choice.

@spotrac

but doesn't it give them the right to match an offer? Basically it let's them make a 1 year offer and the player test free agency to see if they can do better. If the player gets an offer, it give the team the ability to match it or let them go. It's not a bad tool for players that aren't franchise tag caliber but you also want to keep at the right price

but doesn't it give them the right to match an offer? Basically it let's them make a 1 year offer and the player test free agency to see if they can do better. If the player gets an offer, it give the team the ability to match it or let them go. It's not a bad tool for players that aren't franchise tag caliber but you also want to keep at the right price

it does let them match, but the thought is that he will get a better offer than they are able to match because of their cap situation. If he leaves, they get no compensation.

With their cap situation, all it will take is a team front loading the deal.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Jags and Raiders both have to spend like 70 million this offseason to get to the floor. Pass rushers will be overpaid, your right he will probably get an offer or two that will handcuff Miami.

Jacksonville is where I see Mario ending up. Perfect fit in Bradley's scheme. Him one side... Dante Fowler back healthy on the other,,,, that should finally give them some pass rush eh?

Jacksonville is where I see Mario ending up. Perfect fit in Bradley's scheme. Him one side... Dante Fowler back healthy on the other,,,, that should finally give them some pass rush eh?

you would think. Bradley's scheme sucks monkey nuts for him being a defensive guru. He must have pics of Shaka Khan doing nefarious things in London to get an extension.

you would think. Bradley's scheme sucks monkey nuts for him being a defensive guru. He must have pics of Shaka Khan doing nefarious things in London to get an extension.

I'm convinced the extension was to avoid the chatter about this being his final year. Make no mistake another losing season and he is toast.

@armandoselguero

One personnel guy thinks OV will gett PAID well above $12.7M transition tag and a team will make it hard for Miami to match.

More afc east news

@flipsnews

The Jets are "absolutely" open to trading Muhammad Wilkerson. via @MMehtaNYDN

Plz trade him to the NFC

@armandoselguero

One personnel guy thinks OV will gett PAID well above $12.7M transition tag and a team will make it hard for Miami to match.

More afc east news

@flipsnews

Plz trade him to the NFC

oh shoot, that is interesting

oh shoot, that is interesting

i am guessing they don't think they can pay him what he wants and this is a DL-rich draft. Might as well see if anyone will give them picks.

IMO he's worth the money.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i am guessing they don't think they can pay him what he wants and this is a DL-rich draft. Might as well see if anyone will give them picks.

IMO he's worth the money.

He's a force.

Does that mean Damon wont shake free?

it does let them match, but the thought is that he will get a better offer than they are able to match because of their cap situation. If he leaves, they get no compensation.

With their cap situation, all it will take is a team front loading the deal.

Yup, I understand that, I was just commenting on the part about why a team would transition tag someone since there's no compensation attached to it

@rapsheet

@spotrac

Combined reasons. For one they're already tight to the cap and the franchise tag for DE comes in at $15.7 mil instead of $12.7 mil. But more importantly, if they franchise him nobody's going to make him an offer. They never do. Nobody ever gives 2 first round picks and outbids a team for a player (okay it has happened but I think only twice n the history of the tag - so basically it never happens). The argument of using the franchise tag to get compensation always comes up but it never happens.

So with the transition tag teams have nothing to lose so they will make an offer. Maybe Miami can't match and lose him, but the offer will be structured like all offers with a lot less than $12.7 mil cap hit the first year. This gives the Fins the opportunity to keep the guy at a lesser cap hit than the tag amount.

With the franchise tag nobody's going to make an offer. And as soon as the guy signs the tag Miami is stuck paying him $15.7 mil and is stuck with $15.7 mil on the cap for the season and he'll most likely be gone next season anyway.

Transition tag gives them a reasonable chance of matching an offer with a smaller cap hit. Franchise tag risks not reaching a new cap friendly deal, paying through the nose and whacking the cap for the season with basically no chance of the player even getting an offer.

Makes sense . . . St. Doug got paid millions last year for being a head coach even though he wasn't . . . Mario got paid millions last year for not trying . . . .

Edited by Peter

@armandoselguero

More afc east news

@flipsnews

Plz trade him to the NFC

Jets will obviously pick the guy Buffalo wants in the draft one spot ahead of us.