Bills "frustrated" with Incognito contract demands*SIGNED*

Yes, they do. They've rolled their remaining cap space from 2015 forward to the 2016 league year and we are in a designated dead period. Bandit is correct about what can be done:

Teams and players can agree to terms, but a team cannot re-sign a pending free agent until 4 pm on March 9th.

Rolled over cap has nothing to do with it. A new contract isn't going to have anything to do with 2015 anyway. And obviously you can't sign a pending free agent from another team until March 9th because he's not a free agent until then. But you can re-sign your own pending free agents any time. Teams do it all the time.

Edited by Tuco

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 #sources on Twitter reporting 3 year deal is basically done and awaiting signature. Ryan Talbot is one, the second is the guy who had the Ed Reed story first, and the third is a random as far as I can tell. The third source said he heard it is 7 mill per. All 3 say it is a 3 yr deal. Just fwiw.

Rolled over cap has nothing to do with it. A new contract isn't going to have anything to do with 2015 anyway. And obviously you can't sign a pending free agent from another team until March 9th because he's not a free agent until then. But you can re-sign your own pending free agents any time. Teams do it all the time.

Rolled over cap does have anything directly to do with RI or other pending free agents. It does have an impact on reworking some deals and certain player releases. (Johnny Manziel of Cleveland is one example.) I should not have mentioned it in this context.

Teams cannot ink deals with their own free agents until the 9th, however. This is a question that has come up repeatedly in another forum and it's been repeatedly answered by a guy who would know.

3 #sources on Twitter reporting 3 year deal is basically done and awaiting signature. Ryan Talbot is one, the second is the guy who had the Ed Reed story first, and the third is a random as far as I can tell. The third source said he heard it is 7 mill per. All 3 say it is a 3 yr deal. Just fwiw.

He is saying all the right things but that seems like a lot of money for someone I can't fully trust. Obviously, we're better with him but if a G is making it breaking your team, your team sucks.

That said, his moobs are hypnotizing. I think that's how he got his contract from the Pegulas (or seeing me in a diner SB week last year with my Bills hat on, a week before he signed with us).

Rolled over cap does have anything directly to do with RI or other pending free agents. It does have an impact on reworking some deals and certain player releases. (Johnny Manziel of Cleveland is one example.) I should not have mentioned it in this context.

Teams cannot ink deals with their own free agents until the 9th, however. This is a question that has come up repeatedly in another forum and it's been repeatedly answered by a guy who would know.

You're saying Richie Incognito can't walk into OBD on Monday and sign a contract for 2016 and beyond? That he has to wait until Wednesday? That's totally wrong.

He can't sign a contract that has anything to do with adding or adjusting his 2015 contract. Once the season is over the league adjusts all contracts for incentives, etc. And once it's finalized and teams declare they're rolling it over then they can't do anything that would change the 2015 cap. I get all that. Any new contract obviously won't go into effect until March 9th since it will be a 2016 contract. But he most certainly does not have to wait until Wednesday to sign a new contract with the Bills. That date is only for players signing with a new club. Richie Incognito is a member of the Buffalo Bills until 4:00 PM March 9th and can sign a new contract extension any time.

A few examples from last year when the first day of the year was March 10th-

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/%E2%80%9915-free-agency-Alualu-re-signs/bdfa56c2-29b2-4705-a5da-39c8209d2605

Defensive end Tyson Alualuicon-article-link.gif, a fifth-year veteran who never has missed a game in five NFL seasons, re-signed with the Jaguars Sunday, a move that came two days before the start of the 2015 NFL league year Tuesday afternoon at 4 p.m. Alualu would have become an unrestricted free agent at that time, but finalized the terms of the contract and signed it Sunday morning. Reports were that the deal is for two years.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/03/detroit_lions_sign_k_matt_prat.html

Detroit announced Friday (March 6) it has signed Prater, a pending free agent, to a three-year contract. The deal is worth $9 million, according to NFL Network. He is the fourth pending free agent to re-up with Detroit, following quarterback Dan Orlovsky, defensive end Darryl Tapp and long-snapper Don Muhlbach. Teams can begin negotiating with the rest of Detroit's free agents Saturday, and begin signing them at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2015/03/08/report-bengals-re-sign-mike-nugent/24626477/

(Article dated March 9th) On a wild day of action across the NFL on Sunday, the Bengals quietly kept putting away their own players. Cincinnati re-signed kicker Mike Nugent to a two-year contract, first reported by NFL Network. The agreement keeps Nugent from hitting the free agent market when the new league year starts on Tuesday.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/3/6/8161915/redskins-re-sign-te-niles-paul-to-a-3-year-deal

(Also dated March 6) Multiple sources are reporting that the Washington Redskins have re-signed TE Niles Paul to a 3 year deal that can earn him almost $10 million. Paul was going to be a free agent next week, and was expected to get some interest from multiple teams.

The list goes on and on. Again, I'm not saying they can do any kind of deal that gives Incognito a signing bonus or any money before March 9th. But nothing is stopping him from signing a new contract with the Bills before then.

Edited by Tuco

Let him walk he isn't that good we can get a younger guard in the draft or free agency and incognito isn't getting better he had a bad game against philly and new england he got killed and sucked

go away

:o

Road sodas!

I have a cooler at the ready!!!

Ty Dunne tweeted no deal has been reached yet (though not sure he saw recent report) but has great article on incognito

Is Richie incognito a Driven Man? Bank on it.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/03/05/richie-incognito-a-driven-man-bank-on-it/

And from his trainer:EXOS' Eric Dannenberg on Incognito... 'I dont see him slowing down. I only see him gearing up'

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/03/05/exos/

excellent articles both. really dig Dunne. even if he is always writing nice things while doing his job.

Exactly. Those in the know said it was Mary.

i just knew she was a wild one

https://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/03/05/richie-incognito-a-driven-man-bank-on-it/

good read if not yet shared. it was shared. d'oh

either way, this is a man that eats sleeps and wakes up for football.

Very impressed. The more i have read into his last couple years post Martin the more i respect this guy.

That's a lot. I hope he's worth it.

do you think he was not ?

Always risk, but think the Bills line the last oh so many years and how well they played last year.

Keeping the Band together is HUGE.

aint my dime. spend away Jimmy O !!!

He is worth it. Never saw Mario work as hard as he does. Hope Monday brings good news. Miller is correct. Need the same guys on the line to become great. Good luck Richie.

Can we stop re-writing history on Mario? You don't become an all pro without hard work.

I know we all have to hate Mario now but he was a damn good player. Face it, RI was a slime all who did what he needed to do to get a longer contract. But man, fans just need to chill on acting like RI is a god while Mario is the devil.

He is worth it. Never saw Mario work as hard as he does. Hope Monday brings good news. Miller is correct. Need the same guys on the line to become great. Good luck Richie.

Keeping Glenn and Cogs by the Bills

Taylor was holding his breath for two weeks straight.

lol

please be true.

I will try to be a better person each day if the deal comes through. I promise, Billy Buffalo

Can we stop re-writing history on Mario? You don't become an all pro without hard work.

I know we all have to hate Mario now but he was a damn good player. Face it, RI was a slime all who did what he needed to do to get a longer contract. But man, fans just need to chill on acting like RI is a god while Mario is the devil.

actually if you read Richies story in depth you might find has worked his way into a rather quality human being.

Keeping Glenn and Cogs by the Bills

Taylor was holding his breath for two weeks straight.

lol

please be true.

I will try to be a better person each day if the deal comes through. I promise, Billy Buffalo

actually if you read Richies story in depth you might find has worked his way into a rather quality human being.

Hey I hope so. But he has a long track record of being a dirt ball. It's always how some people will clean up their act when it's time to get paid.

Hey I hope so. But he has a long track record of being a dirt ball. It's always how some people will clean up their act when it's time to get paid.

I understand your point. But i honestly have dug into Richie since the Martin crap.

He had long since admitted he handled his whole life poorly. I think the year off is when he truly turned it around.

He is still a brute of course, and if he focused on getting paid? I think we would do the same.

What i saw and read last year make me think he is well worth investing in.

I like the whole story of Buffalo / Rex giving him a break and he then playing his arse off for the Bills.

and now if we keep him, it shows hard work does pay off. A life lesson often lost these days.

I understand your point. But i honestly have dug into Richie since the Martin crap.

He had long since admitted he handled his whole life poorly. I think the year off is when he truly turned it around.

He is still a brute of course, and if he focused on getting paid? I think we would do the same.

What i saw and read last year make me think he is well worth investing in.

I like the whole story of Buffalo / Rex giving him a break and he then playing his arse off for the Bills.

and now if we keep him, it shows hard work does pay off. A life lesson often lost these days.

I like the way you think.

do you think he was not ?

Always risk, but think the Bills line the last oh so many years and how well they played last year.

Keeping the Band together is HUGE.

aint my dime. spend away Jimmy O !!!

Don't pay for past performance. That's a losing strategy. You have to anticipate whether he will be worth it going forward. We'll see.

And I'm not trying to save the Pegula's any money, but to a large degree it's a zero sum game. Money spent on LG will not be available to address other areas of the team so the investment needs to make a mark.