A simple question from a simple-minded guy

Rubes

Concerning Tyrod Taylor, Bill Polian (and certainly plenty of others similarly) said:

"The question I would ask is, based on what they know after a year with him, is he a 16-game quarterback or do we have to presume he’s a 12-game quarterback?” Polian said, referencing the two games Taylor missed, plus several others where he was hampered by injuries. “Because of his size (6-foot-1, 210 pounds), all the orange flashing lights that surround injury with a smaller guy and a running guy, that’s the concern."

Polian says 6'1" 210lbs, but NFL.com lists TT as 6'1" 215 lbs. Let's go with that.

Another running QB (though he was a great pocket QB) was Steve Young, who is listed at 6'2" 215lbs.

Ed Reed, strong safety supreme, who flew around the field knocking the snot out of everybody, was listed at 5'11" 205 lbs.

Eric Berry, the excellent hard-hitting free safety from KC, is listed at 6'0" 212 lbs.

The awesome Fred Jackson, he who could carry the load and deliver hits as much as he took them, is listed at 6'1" 215 lbs.

Sammy Watkins, a guy who runs all over the place and takes a hit just about every time he catches the ball, is 6'1" 211 lbs.

Yes, TT runs. So do a lot of guys, like running backs, wide receivers, free safeties, strong safeties, and more. And those guys take and deliver hits all the time. Did anyone think Ed Reed was a "smaller guy" for the SS position, with concerns about his durability? Or Eric Berry? Or Fred Jackson? Or Sammy Watkins?

Yes, TT got injured last year, probably because of his running. But lots of people got injured last year. Injuries are part of the NFL. As we all know, Ben Roethlisberger, he of the non-running, 6'4" 240 lb frame, finished fewer games last year than TT. And Ben has only finished a full 16-game schedule three times in his entire 12-year career.

So, I just need a reminder why we think that a 6'1" 215 lb QB is a "smaller guy" whose durability we should be specifically worried about.

So take out everyone who isn't a QB and you have Steve Young who played in a different era. Players now are groomed to play their positions through drugs and specialized training.

I don't understand why you put in all these superfluous players who don't play QB and ignore...Russel Wilson..or like Drew Brees.

So take out everyone who isn't a QB and you have Steve Young who played in a different era. Players now are groomed to play their positions through drugs and specialized training.

I don't understand why you put in all these superfluous players who don't play QB and ignore...Russel Wilson..or like Drew Brees.

Well, I could definitely have put in Russell Wilson, but the main point is: why is TT's size considered "small" when it's not for guys who play other positions like SS, FS, etc, and who take and deliver hits much more often than a QB?

Well, I could definitely have put in Russell Wilson, but the main point is: why is TT's size considered "small" when it's not for guys who play other positions like SS, FS, etc, and who take and deliver hits much more often than a QB?

because 1 injury dooms a teams entire season at qb, and not at FS?

Running or the threat/fear of his running is always going to be a HUGE part of TT's game.

If that brings too much injury, risk of injury, or fear of injury, then the Bills need to keep looking for a QB.

What they need to do is cut down on the designed runs......let TT make plays when things break down.....continue to work with him on making plays from the pocket (I thought he made GREAT strides in this as the season went on) and get the heck down and protect himself when it is time to do so instead of fighting for that extra yard.

Now that the team is looking at Tyrod as the future.....I am quite sure there will be a huge emphasis on this in training camp this upcoming season......

Last training camp he wasnt even supposed to be the guy......just a challenge for the other 2 QBs to overcome......not anymore.

So what's the excuse for Roethlisberger?

Or Aaron Williams, for that matter?

I think it's a load of hooey.

Awareness is the key.

TT has a problem though. He thinks he is a tough guy. And while that might be true, his position is So valuable he needs to avoid contact cerebrally till it becomes natural. Slide Tyrod slide.

This was mentioned by Roman and Rex at some point.

Interesting post Rubes !

Bottom line is that we do not have enough information to know if Taylor can't play a 16 game season. He has only tried once to do so and was hurt. It was also his first season that he actually played full time. Let's see how he learns from last season and if he better protects himself while still being mobile in this coming season. Russell Wilson has certainly learned that and there is no evidence that Taylor can't. Just my opinion.

Maybe when push comes to shove, we end up with that Donovan McNabb type quarterback. He started his career taking off and put a lot of yards up on the ground. Later though, he learned to settle down, stay in the pocket, and became a pretty darn good pocket passer. None the less, similar issues. 13 seasons in the NFL and 9 of them were cut short by injuries of one type or another. Hopefully TT learned something from last year.

Maybe when push comes to shove, we end up with that Donovan McNabb type quarterback. He started his career taking off and put a lot of yards up on the ground. Later though, he learned to settle down, stay in the pocket, and became a pretty darn good pocket passer. None the less, similar issues. 13 seasons in the NFL and 9 of them were cut short by injuries of one type or another. Hopefully TT learned something from last year.

I get that, and I don't disagree, I'm just saying that there may not be a clear correlation between QB size/propensity to run and injury. Roethlisberger is a good example of a bigger guy who doesn't run, who couldn't complete a full 16-game schedule nine times out of twelve seasons.

Concerning Tyrod Taylor, Bill Polian (and certainly plenty of others similarly) said:

Polian says 6'1" 210lbs, but NFL.com lists TT as 6'1" 215 lbs. Let's go with that.

Another running QB (though he was a great pocket QB) was Steve Young, who is listed at 6'2" 215lbs.

Ed Reed, strong safety supreme, who flew around the field knocking the snot out of everybody, was listed at 5'11" 205 lbs.

Eric Berry, the excellent hard-hitting free safety from KC, is listed at 6'0" 212 lbs.

The awesome Fred Jackson, he who could carry the load and deliver hits as much as he took them, is listed at 6'1" 215 lbs.

Sammy Watkins, a guy who runs all over the place and takes a hit just about every time he catches the ball, is 6'1" 211 lbs.

Yes, TT runs. So do a lot of guys, like running backs, wide receivers, free safeties, strong safeties, and more. And those guys take and deliver hits all the time. Did anyone think Ed Reed was a "smaller guy" for the SS position, with concerns about his durability? Or Eric Berry? Or Fred Jackson? Or Sammy Watkins?

Yes, TT got injured last year, probably because of his running. But lots of people got injured last year. Injuries are part of the NFL. As we all know, Ben Roethlisberger, he of the non-running, 6'4" 240 lb frame, finished fewer games last year than TT. And Ben has only finished a full 16-game schedule three times in his entire 12-year career.

So, I just need a reminder why we think that a 6'1" 215 lb QB is a "smaller guy" whose durability we should be specifically worried about.

because he has been hurt, I agree with Bill

There's a difference between a "running QB," and a "QB who has the ability to run, but knows when to get rid of the ball and knows how to take a hit (or better yet, elude one)."

Right now, we have a running QB. They don't last long.

This is how "from the gut" conjecture works.

I believe they are stacking likelihood sin their mind without any real analysis.

1. If I believe qbs who run a bunch are more likely to get injured than pocket passers

2. If I believe qbs who are smaller are more likely to be injured than guys that are bigger

Then I also believe a guy who is smaller and a runner is much more injury prone than a big pocket passer.

The real data may or may not support this. But that is the viewpoint espoused and reasoning you're up against.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think it's a load of hooey.

Awareness is the key.

TT has a problem though. He thinks he is a tough guy. And while that might be true, his position is So valuable he needs to avoid contact cerebrally till it becomes natural. Slide Tyrod slide.

This was mentioned by Roman and Rex at some point.

Interesting post Rubes !

Yeah, i think T2 now gets the fact that Russell Wilson stays a lot healthier than MikeVick every did, so less tough guy stuff this year and more sliding, just like Wilson does. T2 IS Russell Wilson from where I sit, albeit with a 1 or 2 year longer learning curve (to get the Mike Vick out of him, which I thing this past season did). You watch this coming season. Me thinks this offense will do some real damage this year, if Whaley can keep it together and they stay reasonably healthy.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Quite simple really. SS, FS, etc. are generally hitting and taking hits from people the same size as them. QBs are absorbing hits from people that could outweigh them by up to a 100 lbs or more.