Jets cut Antonio Cromarte--expected to meet with Bills

YoloinOhio

6-2 210lbs. Thats strong safety muscle. Last I checked we don't really have one of those we can depend on. It will be all about the cash though, and that will likely kill the deal

Honestly? Yeah.

I love me some Aaron Williams, but A) He's better when he can fly around the field rather than be a box safety, B) Williams might not make it the entire season with his injuries and...

C) Rex liked to play the Big Nickel with the Jets, where he swapped a LB for a S. He really couldn't do that last year with our safety group so dinged. Is there anyone I'm our safety group besides Williams and Graham who particularly inspire confidence?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly? Yeah.

I love me some Aaron Williams, but A) He's better when he can fly around the field rather than be a box safety, B) Williams might not make it the entire season with his injuries and...

C) Rex liked to play the Big Nickel with the Jets, where he swapped a LB for a S. He really couldn't do that last year with our safety group so dinged. Is there anyone I'm our safety group besides Williams and Graham who particularly inspire confidence?

Rambo can make plays at times and he's a tough player, but he's a depth guy only - not starting caliber - and no lock to be on the roster due to his RFA status.

That's part of the game, make him an offer he'll never accept. and if somehow he did, well then it would be a great deal for the Bill's. Plus last year they tended to have more money to spend than this year.

They offered a contract to Landry but he just decided he didn't want to play.

@mikerodak

Why NFL’s veteran minimum salary benefit would be one way for Bills to squeeze Antonio Cromartie under their cap: http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23867/antonio-cromartie-rex-ryan-reunion-could-work-at-right-price

No way does Cromarte sign for under $1M. Rex is just doing his former player a favor by showing interest in him.

The previous relationship and fit in the defense could easily outweigh money in this particular situation. We'll see.

Been thinking on this. I stand firm on the vet minimum being way too low for Cromarte. Relationship or not, he's not giving up millions of dollars at the end of his career to play on the Bills for Rex. But maybe that isn't it at all. McKelvin's release would free up $3.9M in space. I could see Cromarte coming in for about that. That'd be a hell of a trio of CBs with Gilmore and Darby. It isn't going to hurt negotiations with Gilmore either.

Edited by BarleyNY

Been thinking on this. I stand firm on the vet minimum being way too low for Cromarte. Relationship or not, he's not giving up millions of dollars at the end of his career to play on the Bills for Rex. But maybe that isn't it at all. McKelvin's release would free up $3.9M in space. I could see Cromarte coming in for about that. That'd be a hell of a trio of CBs with Gilmore and Darby. It isn't going to hurt negotiations with Gilmore either.

I don't think he warrants millions of dollars at this stage of his career given the demonstrated drop off from his previous high level of play at the CB position.

This needs to stop.

I'm tired of the front office bringing in every Jets cast off for a look see. It's like they've adopted this board's not-serious "I've heard of him!" into a serious free agency recruitment program.

If we must run Rex's defense, you don't need old Jets players past their prime and want a lot of money. You need smart football players. You can draft those.

As mentioned in the NFL Network video, Rex needs better buy-in from the players.

Does bringing in Cro - if the price was right -make sense from that point of view?

Cro clearly believes in - and understands - Rex's D. Does Rex need a few players like that to get the D on track?

Edited by hondo in seattle

This needs to stop.

I'm tired of the front office bringing in every Jets cast off for a look see. It's like they've adopted this board's not-serious "I've heard of him!" into a serious free agency recruitment program.

If we must run Rex's defense, you don't need old Jets players past their prime and want a lot of money. You need smart football players. You can draft those.

This is Rex's doing so don't blame the front office. You knew as soon as he became our HC, he was gonna do this. If you didn't know then you obviously haven't been paying enough attention.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

I don't think he warrants millions of dollars at this stage of his career given the demonstrated drop off from his previous high level of play at the CB position.

He was set to make $8M this season with the Jets. He's certainly not worth that, but he's going to get a lot more than vet minimum (just under $1M). $1M is nothing for a CB, especially considering he'd be a top 3 CB on the team. Heck, why would he even play for that? He can just wait around and see what playoff bound team needs a CB late in the season for that kind of money.

Edited by BarleyNY

This needs to stop.

How many of them have we actually signed?

How many of them have we actually signed?

i could be missing someone as this is just off the top of my head but I think Harvin was the only ex-Jet he signed to play significantly. we have 3 on bottom of roster - Salas, Barnes, IK. They may not even make the team. He also signed John Conner for camp, who he also cut.

Signing depth players you are familiar with is common for HCs, certainly not isolated to Rex.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He would serve a purpose as an experienced veteran backup who knows Rex's complex system well enough to help the other guys along. That's about all he'd be good for at this stage of his career. Maybe he could also fit in as an extra safety as needed.