Charles Clay restructures contract

YoloinOhio

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His problem isn't cap management (because he continues to demonstrate he doesn't understand how the cap works), his problem is with Whaley's plan in general. Which is a fine position to take even if I disagree.

He'd have a much easier time if he stuck to his true concerns rather than screaming to the heavens about a cap he doesn't comprehend.

I am not understanding the paroting over an issue that is essentially being done by every other NFL team in the league

Except for those teams with tons of cap space but are picking in the top 5 every year?

Dont you see the trend there? Those teams refuse to spend their cap.....and talent refuses to go there.......and they continue to lose.

The bills ARE TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM THAT over a decade of "cash to cap" and "B tier free agents" and not winning

So now they are spending money.....and bringing in players that other teams would actually like to have themselves.....and being creative with the contracts

LET THEM TRY TO FIX IT

This deal opens up the possibility of also restructuring Mario. A couple more restructures and we can still afford our OLmen too. Glad they took care of this early. It opens up other possibilities.

I honestly dont think Mario is coming back

He wants Rex to "Meet him halfway".....really? Rex is gonna do that?

Mario perhaps you missed that quote where Rex now wants to be "fully pregnant" that means he is going to run HIS defense this next year....not yours.

This deal opens up the possibility of also restructuring Mario. A couple more restructures and we can still afford our OLmen too. Glad they took care of this early. It opens up other possibilities.

Headed into last season the two deals everyone knew were ripe to be restructured were Clay's and Mario's. Leodis's $4 million was another prime contract to get reworked or cut. Good cap management requires giving your team outs, which the Bills have enough of to get Glenn and RI paid. There might even be room to do some more if they extend Gilmore (which I expect to happen) and rework some other deals like Graham's and Leo's.

The sky is not falling. In fact, the plan that most people foresaw happening is coming together.

I am not understanding the paroting over an issue that is essentially being done by every other NFL team in the league

Except for those teams with tons of cap space but are picking in the top 5 every year?

Dont you see the trend there? Those teams refuse to spend their cap.....and talent refuses to go there.......and they continue to lose.

The bills ARE TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM THAT over a decade of "cash to cap" and "B tier free agents" and not winning

So now they are spending money.....and bringing in players that other teams would actually like to have themselves.....and being creative with the contracts

LET THEM TRY TO FIX IT

I'm just glad he stopped using his word of the day calendar. I couldn't take another day of seeing "myopic" in every single post.

LET THEM TRY TO FIX IT

I honestly dont think Mario is coming back

He wants Rex to "Meet him halfway".....really? Rex is gonna do that?

Mario perhaps you missed that quote where Rex now wants to be "fully pregnant" that means he is going to run HIS defense this next year....not yours.

Probably right, but it does leave the door open. I think they are busily weighing their options and this Clay restructure puts them in a better position to fill the roster with quality talent. It also shows that they are being proactive. I think the management is working to stay on top of things.

geez, what were they thinking signing a guy to a contract and putting in provisions to prevent his old team from matching it, that they would have to renegotiate a year later...it's like they understand the cap or something.

Improved it for you.

I would call that a career-ending injury--or in the very least, a major injury.

Also, they can cut him after 2017, at which time it costs them no money since his cap number will be $9M whether he's on the roster or not.

which means you carry him instead of cutting and spending more on TE. but thats really the only change, year 4 of the 5 year deal essentially guarantees now, for practical purposes. and thats after a year in house, in scheme, and with our medical team, so reduced risk compared to an outside free agent getting that.

the risk that he isnt repeatedly shouting about is if we clean house by then and hes not a great fit for new scheme, but hes pretty versatile so that isnt a HUGE disaster.

Edited by NoSaint

Spotrac also confirms the dead money totals of 18M, 13.5M, 9M and 4.5M. The high nature of the risk with the restructure comes in play in 2017. Essentially they are giving Clay a fully guaranteed contract because of the dead money commitments.

Yes, those would each be the dead cap if Clay was released in the corresponding year. The previous article was not clear about what those numbers were. Clays dead money would be:

$18M if cut before the 2016 season or

$13.5M if cut after the 2016 season and before the 2017 season or

$9M if cut after the 2017 season and before the 2018 season or

$4.5M if cut after the 2018 season and before the 2019 season.

Some of the articles make it sound like the dead money is cumulative. The restructure doesn't make his contract any riskier. The Bills are just delaying $7.5M in cap hits instead of taking the $7.5M additional cap hit this season. Once the money is paid (or guaranteed) the risk is assumed.

Yes, those would each be the dead cap if Clay was released in the corresponding year. The previous article was not clear about what those numbers were. Clays dead money would be:

$18M if cut before the 2016 season or

$13.5M if cut after the 2016 season and before the 2017 season or

$9M if cut after the 2017 season and before the 2018 season or

$4.5M if cut after the 2018 season and before the 2019 season.

Some of the articles make it sound like the dead money is cumulative. The restructure doesn't make his contract any riskier. The Bills are just delaying $7.5M in cap hits instead of taking the $7.5M additional cap hit this season. Once the money is paid (or guaranteed) the risk is assumed.

The restructure increases the risk exposure to health and decline/performance DRAMATICALLY for an already injury prone player and gives the Bills no opportunity to cut until the final year of the contract. It also increases the cap hits in the future when the Bills are already 2nd in the commitment index for 2017+. The restructure is myopic and entails a lot of potential risk for the future.

...and no, none of the articles was making it sound like the dead money is cumulative.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The restructure increases the risk exposure to health and decline/performance DRAMATICALLY for an already injury prone player and gives the Bills no opportunity to cut until the final year of the contract. It also increases the cap hits in the future when the Bills are already 2nd in the commitment index for 2017+. The restructure is myopic and entails a lot of potential risk for the future.

...and no, none of the articles was making it sound like the dead money is cumulative.

These statements show a total lack of understanding of cap fundamentals.

These statements show a total lack of understanding of cap fundamentals.

No. That would be your incorrect responses to my posts that have already been called out by Spotrac, OverTheCap and other websites that deal with the NFL cap regarding the amount of dead money and what it means in regards to the Clay restructure.

No. That would be your incorrect responses to my posts that have already been called out by Spotrac, OverTheCap and other websites that deal with the NFL cap regarding the amount of dead money and what it means in regards to the Clay restructure.

Why does all this bother you? All I care if they finally get to the playoffs. Don't worry about 2018 or 2019....The Bills have people who deal with the salary cap every day. Players get released every year or retire. They will be fine and able to sign whomever they choose.

Why does all this bother you? All I care if they finally get to the playoffs. Don't worry about 2018 or 2019....The Bills have people who deal with the salary cap every day. Players get released every year or retire. They will be fine and able to sign whomever they choose.

because he has unfortunately hung onto the bone for too long......now he cant let go of it.

It's because I care about winning championships and building a team that is a sustainable winner instead of a team that finally gets to the playoffs.

It's because I care about winning championships and building a team that is a sustainable winner instead of a team that finally gets to the playoffs.

Have to start somewhere...can't win championships without getting to the playoffs first