Charles Clay restructures contract

YoloinOhio

I love that it says "work left to do" when the Bills' top 51 are currently $8.5M under the cap.

By the time they release Mario and get pay cuts from McKelvin and Graham, they'll be close to $25M under...more than enough to sign Glenn and Richie and bring back their RFAs. Next move will be getting Gilmore's extension done, which will drop his cap number by $2M or so, then they can sign one or two vet FAs.

Quit trying to be logical with your answers...you make :thumbsup: too much sense.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that it says "work left to do" when the Bills' top 51 are currently $8.5M under the cap.

By the time they release Mario and get pay cuts from McKelvin and Graham, they'll be close to $25M under...more than enough to sign Glenn and Richie and bring back their RFAs. Next move will be getting Gilmore's extension done, which will drop his cap number by $2M or so, then they can sign one or two vet FAs.

Nothing changes with regard to the amount of guaranteed money in Clay's contract--the $10M roster bonus was fully guaranteed already; they are converting it to another form of fully-guaranteed money.

The only risk is a career-ending injury.

And we can't cut him. Damn that cap! :lol:

Spotrac also confirms the dead money totals of 18M, 13.5M, 9M and 4.5M. The high nature of the risk with the restructure comes in play in 2017. Essentially they are giving Clay a fully guaranteed contract because of the dead money commitments.

What?

They aren't "essentially giving Clay a fully guaranteed contract". The guaranteed money doesn't change at all and you seem like you don't understand what dead money is. Dead money is the total amount of money they have paid a player plus remaining guaranteed money minus cap hit. What does that have to do with Clay's guaranteed money, which he was already going to get? Does it make it more likely he is going to be on the roster because of how the contract is spread out? Sure, but he's 27, still in his prime and the cap has been increasing every year so I don't see what the big deal is.

Nothing changes with regard to the amount of guaranteed money in Clay's contract--the $10M roster bonus was fully guaranteed already; they are converting it to another form of fully-guaranteed money.

The only risk is a career-ending injury.

The other risk is it makes it impossible for the Bills to cut him if he starts missing significant time due to injuries in 2016 and 2017 or if there is major decline in play (most likely those will play hand in hand).

What?

They aren't "essentially giving Clay a fully guaranteed contract". The guaranteed money doesn't change at all and you seem like you don't understand what dead money is. Dead money is the total amount of money they have paid a player plus remaining guaranteed money minus cap hit. What does that have to do with Clay's guaranteed money, which he was already going to get? Does it make it more likely he is going to be on the roster because of how the contract is spread out? Sure, but he's 27, still in his prime and the cap has been increasing every year so I don't see what the big deal is.

It is essentially guaranteed because you can't really cut him until the final year because of the dead money involved now.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The other risk is it makes it impossible for the Bills to cut him if he starts missing significant time due to injuries in 2016 and 2017 or if there is major decline in play (most likely those will play hand in hand).

It is essentially guaranteed because you can't really cut him until the final year because of the dead money involved now.

I would call that a career-ending injury--or in the very least, a major injury.

Also, they can cut him after 2017, at which time it costs them no money since his cap number will be $9M whether he's on the roster or not.

and that is an example of complete disregard to proper cap management

Honestly, the "complete disregard to proper cap management" occurred when the original contract was given to Clay. The restructure takes a terrible contract and makes it slightly less terrible from a cap management standpoint. Also you have to consider the whole downstream picture of the cap. The Bills gain $7.5M in immediate cap space and that is now distributed over three years, 2017-2019, in $2.5M increments. That cap space can be used or carried forward. It'll probably get used because it is needed now, but it could be carried forward if the team chose to do that. That would cancel out the additional dead money. The tactic of the restructure is a good move. The player the Bills chose to give that kind of a contract to is the problem.

http://overthecap.com/tag/buffalo-bills

Here is a good article from OTC at the time of the Clay signing.

I would call that a career-ending injury--or in the very least, a major injury.

Also, they can cut him after 2017, at which time it costs them no money since his cap number will be $9M whether he's on the roster or not.

On the new deal if Clay was released after 2017 the Bills would take a hit of $4.5M ($9M dead money - $4.5M 2018 salary). If they cut him after 2018 it would net to $0 ($4.5M-$4.5M). So expect him to be on the team through at least 2018 unless something major happens.

Honestly, the "complete disregard to proper cap management" occurred when the original contract was given to Clay. The restructure takes a terrible contract and makes it slightly less terrible from a cap management standpoint. Also you have to consider the whole downstream picture of the cap. The Bills gain $7.5M in immediate cap space and that is now distributed over three years, 2017-2019, in $2.5M increments. That cap space can be used or carried forward. It'll probably get used because it is needed now, but it could be carried forward if the team chose to do that. That would cancel out the additional dead money. The tactic of the restructure is a good move. The player the Bills chose to give that kind of a contract to is the problem.

http://overthecap.com/tag/buffalo-bills

Here is a good article from OTC at the time of the Clay signing.

I hate seeing the Bills mortgage the future even further with the restructure. In 2017+ the Bills are already second in the commitment index. Proper cap management is to just bite the bullet, take your beatings in 2016 with the Clay contract and position the team with future flexibility the next 4 years.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I hate seeing the Bills morgtge the future even futher with the restructure. In 2017+ the Bills are second in the commitment index. Proper cap management is just to bite the bullet, take your beatings in 2016 with the Clay contract and position the team with future flexibility the next 4 years.

Let Glenn and Incognito go in UFA. Yeah....Great plan!

His problem isn't cap management (because he continues to demonstrate he doesn't understand how the cap works), his problem is with Whaley's plan in general. Which is a fine position to take even if I disagree.

He'd have a much easier time if he stuck to his true concerns rather than screaming to the heavens about a cap he doesn't comprehend.

His problem isn't cap management (because he continues to demonstrate he doesn't understand how the cap works), his problem is with Whaley's plan in general. Which is a fine position to take even if I disagree.

He'd have a much easier time if he stuck to his true concerns rather than screaming to the heavens about a cap he doesn't comprehend.

His actual agenda has been exposed yet again.

and that is an example of complete disregard to proper cap management

No it isn't.

Contracts are structured with increasing cap hits 90% of the time in the NFL (that's an estimation by me). On 3+ year deals, there's always a break point at which cutting the player no longer costs the team money. Typically, this is the 3rd year of the deal, but it's not uncommon (as was the case for Mario) for that point to be later.

Not really. That is an example of egregious cap management that gives the Bills no future flexibility in regards to Clay. That is the whole point on why the restructure is a bad thing. It is a prime example of sunk cost.

Actually, they could always sign him to an extension...as long as they carry the guaranteed portion, they're free to do what they'd like.

I hate seeing the Bills mortgage the future even further with the restructure. In 2017+ the Bills are already second in the commitment index. Proper cap management is to just bite the bullet, take your beatings in 2016 with the Clay contract and position the team with future flexibility the next 4 years.

Future flexibility comes when (a) the cap goes up, and (b) higher-salaried veterans come off the books. Mario is off the books for 2017, and it's likely that Kyle Williams, McKelvin, Graham, Felton, Dixon, Lawson, and Carpenter as well. Sure, you'll need to replace Lawson and Carpenter--the others should have incumbents ready to take their place.

I agree with others that you're trying too hard to justify this outrage.

Edited by thebandit27

To be truthful, that's what I thought they'd do but "something changed"

I thought they'd cut Mario Williams and release/restructure some smaller guys to free up the Glenn/Incognito money. But perhaps if he expressed willingness to take a pay cut, that changed their strategy.