Charles Clay restructures contract

YoloinOhio

yup. This had restructure written all over it when it went down last year IMO

The question is if this was something planned why Clay and Phish did not work something out since it was designed by Bills to prevent them from matching but if Clay told them they could restructure in a year they could have matched. It appears Clay really wanted to get out of North Cuba.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is if this was something planned why Clay and Phish did not work something out since it was designed by Bills to prevent them from matching but if Clay told them they could restructure in a year they could have matched. It appears Clay really wanted to get out of North Cuba.

Miami's big UFA fish was Suh. They couldn't afford to keep Clay with a match of the Bills offer after they hooked their prize catch.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

i could be wrong because I didn't look it up but as I recall from last year, a stipulation from the transition tag is that the team can't restructure for two years if they match an offer sheet from another team. So the Bills can, but Miami would have been stuck.

he is a complete TE. Which tbh there aren't a lot of in the league. If you watch the all-22 he is a major part of what they do. He did miss time with injury which impacted stats. I think if they had been in playoff contention he could have returned earlier. Wasn't considered a serious injury, just happened at end of year. Jmo. He's a very good player and fits the offense like a glove.

I would not be surprised if everyone knew the restructure was coming when he signed the contract last year. The way it looks to me, It was designed to draw him from division rival in 2015 and be ripe for restructure in 2016. It's not that crazy of a contract.

Agreed

A run heavy team like Buffalo may get an average of 200 to 250 yards per game passing. If you want Sammy to be your main weapon and average 80 to 100 ypg then you are left with 150 yards or so between all the other receivers and backs. So 50 yards per game for Clay is probably what you'd expect, which is only slightly more than he provided last season.

Even more so, the top 3 TE's usually don't hit the open market. Sometimes you have to pay top 10 players top 5 or top 3 money if you want them to come as FA's. It's the nature of free agency.

I think that you are spot on here and people don't really factor that in. You sometimes pay a premium to get what you want.

he is a complete TE. Which tbh there aren't a lot of in the league. If you watch the all-22 he is a major part of what they do. He did miss time with injury which impacted stats. I think if they had been in playoff contention he could have returned earlier. Wasn't considered a serious injury, just happened at end of year. Jmo. He's a very good player and fits the offense like a glove.

I would not be surprised if everyone knew the restructure was coming when he signed the contract last year. The way it looks to me, It was designed to draw him from division rival in 2015 and be ripe for restructure in 2016. It's not that crazy of a contract.

Great post, you may well be right. I had thought other TEs were doing a lot more than he did, but looking at his pace through 12 games he would've finished 10th in both catches and yards. I understand you're not a stat guy and that he contributes to the offense in other ways but when you spend money on an elite tight end there is of course some expectation of pass catching. Clay was my favorite pickup last offseason contract and all, never doubted the player himself is worth the deal. I just sometimes wonder if there's a disconnect between the way the offense is assembled and the way it goes to battle- doesn't seem to be the case here to any great extent. Sorry about that.

A run heavy team like Buffalo may get an average of 200 to 250 yards per game passing. If you want Sammy to be your main weapon and average 80 to 100 ypg then you are left with 150 yards or so between all the other receivers and backs. So 50 yards per game for Clay is probably what you'd expect, which is only slightly more than he provided last season.

Interesting.

Edited by Aaron

It's a terrible contract. The structure made a lot of sense technically, but it is stupid from an overpayment perspective.

Overpayment based on what criteria? People pay for what they want/need. They needed a multi-dimensional TE for Roman's system. Clay might not have been worth it for several other teams, but for what the Bills want to do, it was. At some point, every team in the league is going to run up against the cap and have to make hard choices. It just so happens to be the Bills turn this year.

Edited by purple haze

We weren't cutting him this year or next no matter what. This just confirms the year after- not that radical.

^

Truth.

Now that we've cut open an artery on Clay and his production in 2015 let's move on to some fresh meat. What about that Jerome Felton guy?

@spotrac

The #Bills cleared $7.5M in cap space converting Charles Clays $10M roster bonus to signing bonus. Work left to do:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Spotrac also confirms the dead money totals of 18M, 13.5M, 9M and 4.5M. The high nature of the risk with the restructure comes in play in 2017. Essentially they are giving Clay a fully guaranteed contract because of the dead money commitments.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

+1

@spotrac

The #Bills cleared $7.5M in cap space converting Charles Clays $10M roster bonus to signing bonus. Work left to do:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

I love that it says "work left to do" when the Bills' top 51 are currently $8.5M under the cap.

By the time they release Mario and get pay cuts from McKelvin and Graham, they'll be close to $25M under...more than enough to sign Glenn and Richie and bring back their RFAs. Next move will be getting Gilmore's extension done, which will drop his cap number by $2M or so, then they can sign one or two vet FAs.

Spotrac also confirms the dead money totals of 18M, 13.5M, 9M and 4.5M. The high nature of the risk with the restructure comes in play in 2017. Essentially they are giving Clay a fully guaranteed contract because of the dead money commitments.

Nothing changes with regard to the amount of guaranteed money in Clay's contract--the $10M roster bonus was fully guaranteed already; they are converting it to another form of fully-guaranteed money.

The only risk is a career-ending injury.

Edited by thebandit27

I love that it says "work left to do" when the Bills' top 51 are currently $8.5M under the cap.

By the time they release Mario and get pay cuts from McKelvin and Graham, they'll be close to $25M under...more than enough to sign Glenn and Richie and bring back their RFAs. Next move will be getting Gilmore's extension done, which will drop his cap number by $2M or so, then they can sign one or two vet FAs.

Doomed!