New deal for Tyrod Taylor?

YoloinOhio

Great question and the majority of the Bills fans are completely happy with the current front office is what bothers me. So many highly paid free agents because they fail to find that top talent in the draft.

Wow! um.. Dareus, Kyle, Karlos & Aaron Williams, Darby, Gilmore, Wood, C. Glenn, McKelvin, Sanborn, Schmidt, Watkins say hello.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would comment that the deal that TT got here was pretty good for TT, if he got on the field and got the chance to perform. He did just that, and performed pretty well. I know, he is an incomplete as far as testing him to franchaise QB status......but, here is my point. He now has put himself in the position where the Bills recognize he might get there in year two, and be a total free agent. The only leverage they have here is to negotiate here now when there is still some doubt...making TT want to cash in sooner......or...sign another legit QB candidate through the draft or FA..... Should Tt have a really good year (not even a great year), he would be a real hot commodity on the free agent market next year. the current Bills contract w/ TT apparently didn;t contemplate he would do this well in his first year....it was more like maybe he might do it in year two. So, TT has played himself into the drivers seat here.........If he goes the Flacco route, he will play out the 2d year and go the FA route...and collect big. (not necessarily in Buffalo either) Of course, next off season, then, the bills would have zero QB's on the roster under contract unless there is another alternative. (EJ is history after this year, another JP Losman like fiasco for the Bills) So, look for a promising later round QB to be part of the draft so they have somebody to run the O in the offseason workouts next year. Credit to Ryan for seeing the potential, TT for coming to the Bills recognizing he had a chance here with no established QB and mild criticism to Whaley for allowing this deal to put the Bills in this position. IF TT succeeded, there was never any chance that the third year of the contract would play.

Makes you wonder why, after the season Whaley was so adamant about needing another year to watch TT.

Just a guess, but the team is taking heat in NFL circles paying their starting QB so little. And if there's one thing we know about OBD, it's that they're scared to death of criticism and will act to squelch it. And if they're reaching out to TT's agent you'd hope it's a bridge contract, but knowing the front office they'll act out of fear and doing something irrational. Like pay him starter money before they should.

What does this even mean?

Just because the Seahawks got away with underpaying Russell Wilson doesn't make that the way you treat a starting QB. Tyrod earned a bump for his play last year. A bridge deal with a small raise and a commitment to redo it if he outplays his contract. Never hurts to show some love.

Tyrod signed the deal last year. No one held a gun to his head. And he reached some incentives to bump-up his salary this year. But he didn't play a full season and while his season was surprisingly good, he's not even close to being a franchise QB. So he waits a little longer.

Maybe they are visiting it because they are struggling coming to terms with Gilmore long term? And, they will need to use the TAG on Gilmore? And, cant use it on Gilmore and TT next offseadon. Pure speculation, but, it seems a variable in the thought process has changed.

Gilmore's under contract for this year so they don't need to tag him. But it would be nice to extend him and lower that $11M cap hit for this year.

Tyrod signed the deal last year. No one held a gun to his head. And he reached some incentives to bump-up his salary this year. But he didn't play a full season and while his season was surprisingly good, he's not even close to being a franchise QB. So he waits a little longer.

Gilmore's under contract for this year so they don't need to tag him. But it would be nice to extend him and lower that $11M cap hit for this year.

i think he meant that they might need to tag him or TT next year so want to extend one or the other between now and then.

Makes you wonder why, after the season Whaley was so adamant about needing another year to watch TT.

Just a guess, but the team is taking heat in NFL circles paying their starting QB so little. And if there's one thing we know about OBD, it's that they're scared to death of criticism and will act to squelch it. And if they're reaching out to TT's agent you'd hope it's a bridge contract, but knowing the front office they'll act out of fear and doing something irrational. Like pay him starter money before they should.

Maybe from agents. Why would any other team care what the Bills are paying their QB who has started 14 games in the NFL over 5 years?

Yes. Yes. Yes. PRECISELY. And yes.

Great question and the majority of the Bills fans are completely happy with the current front office is what bothers me. So many highly paid free agents because they fail to find that top talent in the draft.

While I like TT and would think that an extended contract to keep him as a Bill while he develops is a good thing. Paying the kid anywhere near starting money is the wrong thing to do and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see that happening.

Taylor was very effective in 2015 in Roman's complex run centric offense. However, fans need to remember there were many games that Taylor struggled greatly in when he was forced to carry the game. Opposing teams in the AFC will be more prepared this season to face a running QB.

Things may not improve much if the team doesn't fix the defense or the problems at RT-RG. Then they may go right into the toilet if either Incognito, Glenn or both aren't retained.

Wow! um.. Dareus, Kyle, Karlos & Aaron Williams, Darby, Gilmore, Wood, C. Glenn, McKelvin, Sanborn, Schmidt, Watkins say hello.

I was going to post but as usual someone beat me to it lol.

High priced free agents on Bills:

Charles Clay

Mario Williams

Drafted Starters:

Watkins

Woods

Wood

Glenn

Miller

Whichever RT is starting

Dareus

K Williams

Brown

Bradham

Darby

Gilmore

A Williams

13 of 22 positions are drafted including 4 of 5 o-lineman, both starting wrs, dts, and cbs, and 2 trades (McCoy and Hughes). That leaves Felton, Tyrod, Lawson, Rambo, and Graham who were all signed to reasonable deals. The depth of the team also includes tons of drafted players like McKelvin, Robey, and Karlos.

Tyrod seems like a sharp kid. I am very interested in how this turns out.

QB is the biggest risk a team can evaluate and then make a decision. As Bills we know this all too well.

I think TT has the leverage , but i also think he wants to become the Face of the franchise. Bills have quite a few weapons and likely will improve the Offense again this draft and FA.

edge of my seat on this one.

Jim is the guy who writes the checks and have faith in him ( yes i said that )

I was going to post but as usual someone beat me to it lol.

High priced free agents on Bills:

Charles Clay

Mario Williams

Drafted Starters:

Watkins

Woods

Wood

Glenn

Miller

Whichever RT is starting

Dareus

K Williams

Brown

Bradham

Darby

Gilmore

A Williams

13 of 22 positions are drafted including 4 of 5 o-lineman, both starting wrs, dts, and cbs, and 2 trades (McCoy and Hughes). That leaves Felton, Tyrod, Lawson, Rambo, and Graham who were all signed to reasonable deals. The depth of the team also includes tons of drafted players like McKelvin, Robey, and Karlos.

very nice reminder 122 of what is actually going on in the team building at OBD

To the "NOOOOO!!!!!" crowd, if they sign him to a deal, which I doubt happens, it would assuredly be a "bridge" deal, as others have alluded to. It's not like they're going to give him 5 years, $100 million. They couldn't afford it even if they wanted to. Which they don't. They are in wait-and-see mode just like the rest of us. Calm down people.

To the "NOOOOO!!!!!" crowd, if they sign him to a deal, which I doubt happens, it would assuredly be a "bridge" deal, as others have alluded to. It's not like they're going to give him 5 years, $100 million. They couldn't afford it even if they wanted to. Which they don't. They are in wait-and-see mode just like the rest of us. Calm down people.

Now is the time to talk to him though. Hopefully Bills find something to even ground on this.

Its not like its going to be a Fitzpatrick contract.

IS IT???!!!

Edited by 3rdand12

Yes. Yes. Yes. PRECISELY. And yes.

Ok but if EJ Manuel had the season that Taylor did last year, you would have yet to leave your room, which would be covered in crusty pictures of Manuel everywhere, and you would have drool coming down both sides your mouth and a dazed look in your eyes. And my guess is that once you came to, you would be clamoring for an extension right now.

Now is the time to talk to him though. Hopefully Bills find something to even ground on this.

Its not like its going to be a Fitzpatrick contract.

IS IT???!!!

Agreed 100% that they need to talk now and feel his side out. I would be shocked if anyone disagreed with that. And if halfway through next season, he's playing at the level he did last year and then some, he will get a decidedly bigger contract than Fitzpatrick, which will be well deserved.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Ok but if EJ Manuel had the season that Taylor did last year, you would have yet to leave your room, which would be covered in crusty pictures of Manuel everywhere, and you would have drool coming down both sides your mouth and a dazed look in your eyes. And my guess is that once you came to, you would be clamoring for an extension right now.

Agreed 100% that they need to talk now and feel his side out. I would be shocked if anyone disagreed with that. And if he plays at the level he did last year and then some, he will get a decidedly bigger contract than Fitzpatrick, which will be well deserved.

It wouldn't matter who had the year Taylor had last year. It would still be fluffy statistics that didn't lead to winning very many games (but hot damn, those runs were exciting, weren't they?!?!). So no ... even if it was EJ, I would still think it was a non-franchise QB worthy performance.

It wouldn't matter who had the year Taylor had last year. It would still be fluffy statistics that didn't lead to winning very many games (but hot damn, those runs were exciting, weren't they?!?!). So no ... even if it was EJ, I would still think it was a non-franchise QB worthy performance.

1. What are "fluffy statistics?" Can any of you envision a world where EJ Manuel put up the numbers Taylor did last year and Gugny expressed skepticism by calling them "fluffy?" Please elaborate.

2. He was 8-6. Not bad with a horrendous defense. With the 2014 defense they waltz into the playoffs.

3. Yes the runs were incredibly exciting. Did you not think so?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Agreed. But he improved all season imo. Maybe incrementally but improvement nontheless

Agreed 100% that they need to talk now and feel his side out. I would be shocked if anyone disagreed with that. And if halfway through next season, he's playing at the level he did last year and then some, he will get a decidedly bigger contract than Fitzpatrick, which will be well deserved.

I expect as Roman lets it loosen up and TT gets more reps with ALL of his WRs we shall see a decent step forward.

Tyrod is effectively now on a 1 year deal. I don't want him to have the option of hitting free agency next year. I would rather sign him to an extra year or 2 with a bump in pay. The bridge idea that everyone keeps floating is best case scenario for both the team and Tyrod. It gives him security after next year if he regresses or (heaven forbid) gets hurt and it gives the Bills time to work out exactly what he is and what he should be paid.

It seems like a no brainer and I have no idea how people don't like this idea.