A look at Manny Lawson - Importance of SAM LB in Rex D

YoloinOhio

http://buildingtheherd.com/film-room/a-look-at-manny-lawson-and-the-importance-of-the-sam-linebacker-position-in-rex-ryans-defense/

We all know about the great success that cornerbacks Stephon Gilmore and Ronald Darby, along with the impact that Jerry Hughes and Marcell Dareus had during the 2015 season, but the most important role within Rex Ryans defense is arguably the strong-side linebacker, or SAM position. Over the years, Ryans top-ranked defenses have relied on the SAM linebackerfrom Jarrett Johnson or Adalius Thomas from his time with the Ravens, to Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace with the Jetsto serve as a jack-of-all-trades that provided value in all areas of the game

Edited by YoloinOhio

Rob Quinn, the author, noted that Kyle Fackrell from Utah state and Leonard Floyd from UGA would be two possible replacements in the draft for Lawson if they decided to cut him. Guys who are similar and could play that type of role. He also mentioned Dadi Nichlas from VaTech but that he'd need a couple years to develop.

I think Rex might fight to keep Lawson, though.

Rob Quinn, the author, noted that Kyle Fackrell from Utah state and Leonard Floyd from UGA would be two possible replacements in the draft for Lawson if they decided to cut him. Guys who are similar and could play that type of role. He also mentioned Dadi Nichlas from VaTech but that he'd need a couple years to develop.

I think Rex might fight to keep Lawson, though.

I like Su'a and think he will be an excellent SAM in the NFL, and a fine replacement for Manny. Manny is very underrated, and I shudder to think who would replace him if he got hurt

I've been saying this for a while now: Lawson was good last year and really good late in the season. If anything he's underpaid and a bargain. He's also sorta irreplaceable now because the defense relies on having a smart player or two, and he's the smartest defensive player on the team by a country mile. Indeed, he's very likely the smartest player on the team overall (43 on the Wonderlic; mechanical engineering degree).

I like Manny a lot, but if this position is that important should we draft someone early for this spot?

I think that the position as utilized by Rex's defense needs a LB which may not fit in a number of other teams so a mid round selection who could play on special teams while he concentrated on learning position and refining body to NFL levels would work.

I think that the position as utilized by Rex's defense needs a LB which may not fit in a number of other teams so a mid round selection who could play on special teams while he concentrated on learning position and refining body to NFL levels would work.

Dadi Nicolas is an option there. Projected 4th or later. Edited by YoloinOhio

Agree with this.

As much as we all enjoyed Schwartz's defense, Lawson's impact wasn't the same. Simply because he is out of place as a DE.

I was very disappointed in Manny's role/performance under Schwartz. I think he was our best LB in the second half of the season, even though he was playing different roles every week. I love to watch the guy run down a play. He looks like he's a machine. His track roots really come out.

I've been saying this for a while now: Lawson was good last year and really good late in the season. If anything he's underpaid and a bargain. He's also sorta irreplaceable now because the defense relies on having a smart player or two, and he's the smartest defensive player on the team by a country mile. Indeed, he's very likely the smartest player on the team overall (43 on the Wonderlic; mechanical engineering degree).

Definitely smart. Rex even lauded him for his intelligence and comprehension of the scheme.

Dave, am I alone in thinking that this article is absolute, beyond a doubt proof that the 3 people calling the shots for this team (Brandon, Whaley and Rex) are incompetent?

They invested hundreds of millions in the defense, the DL specifically, and now we are supposed to be glad that the ever so pedestrian Manny Lawson is the most important cog in this defense, while our line runs out in coverage or just stands still and jumps around? Really? Is that how things work? Sure, let's all count on greatness from Manny Lawson, as if things were not bleak enough.

Mr. Pegula needs to dump all 3 of these sub-par managers that are hurting this team and of course the fans.

Edited by Bill from NYC