Josina Anderson: Mario open to pay cut to stay with Bills

YoloinOhio

I think it was just timid, not stupid. He said that he wasn't vocal enough which is why they put Manny Lawson at MLB for the last couple of games.

He also implied Brown is too dumb to grasp the genius of the "just give it to them" defense Rex defense.

Wrong! He intimated that he knew Brown is intelligent and has the mental acumen to handle the position as the son of a coach. Your takes are lava fire hot man. :lol:

OMFG learn how to read between the lines. He skewered the poor kid.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also implied Brown is too dumb to grasp the genius of the "just give it to them" defense Rex defense.

OMFG learn how to read between the lines. He skewered the poor kid.

You have an active imagination colored by your obvious anti-Rex bias. Not the 1st time you have expressed Whiskey Tango Foxtrot posts around these parts. :doh:

You have an active imagination colored by your obvious anti-Rex bias. Not the 1st time you have expressed Whiskey Tango Foxtrot posts around these parts. :doh:

I was 100% in on Rex at the hire. I still prefer him to Marrone. I am also willing to admit when I am wrong and Rex trashed our defense last year. Mario is gone and the spin is in full swing on which games involved which defensive philosophy and who is at fault for what. The disparaging of a second year player in the press is low. If he really feels that way he should keep it within the team and not trash the kid in public, but I guess the buck stops at MLB.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I wouldn't expect a coach to say one bad thing publicly and I'm glad Rex hasn't.

We could argue about what we know or don't know about player assignments, but I don't think it's that complicated when it comes to Mario's performance last season.

All we need to confirm his lack of commitment, is how he got off the ball at the snap. It all starts there, regardless of scheme and responsibility.

Unless he had some undisclosed injury or time caught up with him, his explosion was not there.

The only other explanation is that he simply did not have the desire to get off the ball. That he quit.

GO BILLS!!!

Not undisclosed, but he was battling a foot injury around the midpoint of the season. That could hamper some of his explosiveness. It was right around the bye week, where his stats dropped off.

Not undisclosed, but he was battling a foot injury around the midpoint of the season. That could hamper some of his explosiveness. It was right around the bye week, where his stats dropped off.

That could explain lack of explosion off the ball for sure, at least after the 2nd Pats game. IIRC, he missed the Chiefs game because of it. It doesn't explain his lack of effort prior to getting hurt, but I can cut him some slack for the last five games of the season.

GO BILLS!!!

That could explain lack of explosion off the ball for sure, at least after the 2nd Pats game. IIRC, he missed the Chiefs game because of it. It doesn't explain his lack of effort prior to getting hurt, but I can cut him some slack for the last five games of the season.

GO BILLS!!!

Depends on when it happened. For all we know, it wasn't listed on the report for a few weeks.

No amount of any kind of gap pressure would have slowed down the quick passing attack that immediately neutralized the front four in the first six weeks of the season.

And there's nothing to 'admit.'

Rex took the players out of a scheme that was perfect for their skill set (so long as nobody got injured). Who is disputing this?

What IS at issue is whether his scheme will be more successful long term, and won't live or die by four healthy pro bowlers up front.

We had 4 ProBowlers locked up for the next two years and potentially more. Rex will be lucky to see a third year.

Seems like long-term won't matter in either case.

I was 100% in on Rex at the hire. I still prefer him to Marrone. I am also willing to admit when I am wrong and Rex trashed our defense last year. Mario is gone and the spin is in full swing on which games involved which defensive philosophy and who is at fault for what. The disparaging of a second year player in the press is low. If he really feels that way he should keep it within the team and not trash the kid in public, but I guess the buck stops at MLB.

Caveat: I didn't listen to (or read) Rex's comments. But one thing you may not be taking into consideration is the fact that all players don't respond to the same type of coaching. I believe it was Lombardi who was praised for knowing which guys need to be coddled and which need to be kicked in the ass. Perhaps Rex knows a little bit more about Preston's psyche than you or I. Perhaps he knows that a coach's son won't be offended by being called out, and it may motivate him.

I'm not saying that is the case here -- but it's certainly a possibility. I know that won't go over well with the crowd who believe Rex is retarded.

Caveat: I didn't listen to (or read) Rex's comments. But one thing you may not be taking into consideration is the fact that all players don't respond to the same type of coaching. I believe it was Lombardi who was praised for knowing which guys need to be coddled and which need to be kicked in the ass. Perhaps Rex knows a little bit more about Preston's psyche than you or I. Perhaps he knows that a coach's son won't be offended by being called out, and it may motivate him.

I'm not saying that is the case here -- but it's certainly a possibility. I know that won't go over well with the crowd who believe Rex is retarded.

I'm not one to harp on the whole IK thing because he was a minor role player with a low salary, but Harvin definitely shows Rex coddles players who don't need coddling. I don't know whether it is attitude or truly being injury prone.....I'll give Harvin the benefit of the doubt and say it is the ladder and I know migraines are no joke.......but Harvin does not belong on an NFL roster and Rex coddling him hurt us. He clearly pushed all the wrong buttons with Mario. Dareus had bumps as did others. I don't know how much of the Sammy thing was Roman...probably close to all of it.

Other guys that have played for Rex over the years have sworn by him. One has even joined his coaching staff. But those guys played in Rex's defense before the NFL adjusted to it and rendered it the heaping mess it has become.

the pass coverage was what he seemed to talk about the most to the media though I think the only number he'd be comfortable with is "zero"

I think fans latched onto it because they get pass rush vs pass coverage more clearly than gap responsibility

You make an excellent point that a coach has to handle individual players differently. Some players need tough love while other players need soft cajoling. Vince Lombardi (a coach you cited) tried the hard ass approach with Bart Starr and it didn't work. Starr was too sensitive to handle the assaults that Lombardi was capable of. So Lombardi smartly backed off and treated him differently, i.e. more gently.

The topic of this thread focuses on Mario Williams. There is no doubt that he is capable of being a tough player to coach. He certainly can be prickly and be hardheaded. It's obvious that with Rex MW wasn't very receptive to what he was being told to do. How did Rex handle this recalcitrant player who wasn't responding to him? It might be unfair to say the Mario was deliberately insubordinate to Rex but it isn't unfair to say that Mario didn't give the same level of effort that he gave under prior DCs and HC.

This is a problem that required only one appropriate response from the HC: take the uncommitted assshole player off the field. Demonstrate to the player, the rest of the unit and team that he was the authority on the field whether they liked it or not. The tough talking and blustering HC didn't do that. That is an indictment on the HC's coaching ability. He couldn't handle a problem that called for only one authority figure response form him. He was in charge and he acted as weakling. In this case words are nothing but bullshiiit and actions have meaning and potency. What do you think was the message that this braggadocio HC sent to his team with his flaccid response to this jackasss player?

The coach is a meanie. Give Preston Brown a participation ribbon and a Capri sun to appease Merper

Caesar salad is all about the dressing. All croutons are good minus the ones at Golden Corral.

I hate Capri Sun and don't buy anything from Bob Kraft.

Just pointing out facts about Rex's curious decision to call out Brown to the press. Are you saying that is something a good coach does to a player whose career looked on track until said coach botched it?

What is the Golden Corral? I think that i the move Beerboy uses on code name Celissa CaMarthy

This is a problem that required only one appropriate response from the HC: take the uncommitted assshole player off the field. Demonstrate to the player, the rest of the unit and team that he was the authority on the field whether they liked it or not. The tough talking and blustering HC didn't do that. That is an indictment on the HC's coaching ability. He couldn't handle a problem that called for only one authority figure response form him. He was in charge and he acted as weakling. In this case words are nothing but bullshiiit and actions have meaning and potency. What do you think was the message that this braggadocio HC sent to his team with his flaccid response to this jackasss player?

But when it comes to a young MLB asked to instantaneously morph into Ray Lewis, Rex calls him out in public.

You make an excellent point that a coach has to handle individual players differently. Some players need tough love while other players need soft cajoling. Vince Lombardi (a coach you cited) tried the hard ass approach with Bart Starr and it didn't work. Starr was too sensitive to handle the assaults that Lombardi was capable of. So Lombardi smartly backed off and treated him differently, i.e. more gently.

The topic of this thread focuses on Mario Williams. There is no doubt that he is capable of being a tough player to coach. He certainly can be prickly and be hardheaded. It's obvious that with Rex MW wasn't very receptive to what he was being told to do. How did Rex handle this recalcitrant player who wasn't responding to him? It might be unfair to say the Mario was deliberately insubordinate to Rex but it isn't unfair to say that Mario didn't give the same level of effort that he gave under prior DCs and HC.

It is also partly due to the Bills replacing a defense line coach Bills defense line said was doing a good job with Karl Dunbar.