Josina Anderson: Mario open to pay cut to stay with Bills

YoloinOhio

I haven't changed my argument once.

Yes you have. First it was "injuries" as though we trotted Riddick and Tarpley out there all year and now following your "analysis" it is Tyrod's fault.

It isn't Tryod's fault. It wasn't injuries. It wasn't lack of talent. It was a mixture of a horrible mish-mash of scheme and a lack of leadership that resulted in players not buying in and in the most egregious case - ie. the topic of this thread - quitting on the season. I am not absolving the player(s) either - but a Head Coach must be a leader first and foremost and I didn't see those qualities demonstrated by Rex Ryan. The evidence on the field spoke to the contrary.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you have. First it was "injuries" as though we trotted Riddick and Tarpley out there all year and now following your "analysis" it is Tyrod's fault.

It isn't Tryod's fault. It wasn't injuries. It wasn't lack of talent. It was a mixture of a horrible mish-mash of scheme and a lack of leadership that resulted in players not buying in and in the most egregious case - ie. the topic of this thread - quitting on the season. I am not absolving the player(s) either - but a Head Coach must be a leader first and foremost and I didn't see those qualities demonstrated by Rex Ryan. The evidence on the field spoke to the contrary.

Imagine a world where multiple explanations exist...wait for it..at the same time!! GOSH!

I have continually offered EACH of these explanations...concurrently...to the people who just want to wail about the coach.

Here's what I was thinking, but I have no data to support whether is reasonable or not: if by the end of the year, our opponents are held to 85% or less of what their season averages are for points and yards, then the defense will be a success. How's that?

Hey, it's your criteria. I might have worked in something about turnovers/sacks, etc. but I suppose that is nit-picking.

Any idea how we did against your yardstick in 2015?

@christrapasso

Von Miller & DeMarcus Ware dropped into coverage more times than Jerry Hughes & Mario Williams during the 2015 regular season. #mythbusting... both Wade and Rex run a hybrid 3-4.

I thought Rex ran Schwartz' scheme and that's why we struggled.

Nearly everyone is assuming that Mario will be gone, but this Clay restructure leaves the door open for other restructures to increase cap space. Not likely in Mario's case but the possibility is there now.

I keep thinking about how the Bills defeated the Jets at the end of the year. They cut the dogs loose and harassed that offensive line pretty good. Just wondering if the Bills aren't looking for a way to keep him and are perfectly happy letting the media think what ever they want.

Mario's comments about being willing to restructure were made solely to make Mario look good -- in my opinion. Per my post earlier today, I don't think Mario is committed to helping the Bills win unless he is allowed to do whatever he wants to do -- that's what "meet us halfway" really means. Sure, he'll stay for less money because he likes his house and his buddies in WNY, but not if somebody is going to want him to actually give the game everything he has.

Rex and Whaley are saying they'd like to have Mario back because they can't say anything else without making Mario look bad, and that's in nobody's best interests.

@christrapasso

Von Miller & DeMarcus Ware dropped into coverage more times than Jerry Hughes & Mario Williams during the 2015 regular season. #mythbusting... both Wade and Rex run a hybrid 3-4.

Yes the number of times the Bills dropped into coverage in a zone blitz was exaggerated

Yes the number of times the Bills dropped into coverage in a zone blitz was exaggerated

and who on the team was quoted as it being an issue? Do you recall?

Did anyone notice what a slow start Marcel got off too.

Another player i tried to watch. as soon as I saw Mario stop i would look to Kyle and Dareus

Edited by 3rdand12

Hey, it's your criteria. I might have worked in something about turnovers/sacks, etc. but I suppose that is nit-picking.

Any idea how we did against your yardstick in 2015?

Lunch meetings get cancelled, I think of you guys first:

4mP5gpi.png

This is very interesting analysis.

What it tells me is that Rex failed for reasons he hasn't been scrutinized: because the run D was WAY OFF.

It also provides evidence enough to suggest, as I have been, that the defense wasn't TERRIBLE. It was a disappointment, because it was mediocre.

Also, Rex said very plainly at the combine that there were two games that employed his scheme and his scheme alone: the final two. Do we believe him?

*percentages represent how their results against the bills compare to their season average

green = 0-85 (arbitrary benchmark made up earlier today to define "success)

yellow = 86-100

red = 100+

Lunch meetings get cancelled, I think of you guys first:

4mP5gpi.png

This is very interesting analysis.

What it tells me is that Rex failed for reasons he hasn't been scrutinized: because the run D was WAY OFF.

It also provides evidence enough to suggest, as I have been, that the defense wasn't TERRIBLE. It was a disappointment, because it was mediocre.

Also, Rex said very plainly at the combine that there were two games that employed his scheme and his scheme alone: the final two. Do we believe him?

*percentages represent how their results against the bills compare to their season average

green = 0-85 (arbitrary benchmark made up earlier today to define "success)

yellow = 86-100

red = 100+

What is that chart? Did you put that together?

Lol.

No I don't believe him.

Yes you are right. The defense was not terrible or even bad. It was average. Which is disappointing considering where it came from.

The defense fell off MAINLY because Rex took away what the defensive line did best in 2014. They played a 2 gap, read and react defense up front this season. The complete opposite approach for how they played in 2014. It slowed the pass rush immensely.

These guys excelled in the 1 gap, Wide 9 attack scheme the previous year. The defense in 2014 excelled because the front four was so good. Rex took away what they were good at in 2015 and it showed.

Again, Rex SUCKED because he took away from the strength of the defense in favor of his system. The seasons over. I'm guessing Whaley and Rex will work together this off season to hopefully get the guys he needs to make his system work. Why is this so hard for you to admit?

No amount of any kind of gap pressure would have slowed down the quick passing attack that immediately neutralized the front four in the first six weeks of the season.

And there's nothing to 'admit.'

Rex took the players out of a scheme that was perfect for their skill set (so long as nobody got injured). Who is disputing this?

What IS at issue is whether his scheme will be more successful long term, and won't live or die by four healthy pro bowlers up front.

Mario's comments about being willing to restructure were made solely to make Mario look good -- in my opinion. Per my post earlier today, I don't think Mario is committed to helping the Bills win unless he is allowed to do whatever he wants to do -- that's what "meet us halfway" really means. Sure, he'll stay for less money because he likes his house and his buddies in WNY, but not if somebody is going to want him to actually give the game everything he has.

Rex and Whaley are saying they'd like to have Mario back because they can't say anything else without making Mario look bad, and that's in nobody's best interests.

I don't think I can really read into it like that. Honestly, what Mario says or Whaley for that matter can be read in different ways. I do agree that the chances of sticking with the team are slim to none. But, that doesn't mean that the brass are not still trying to find a way to keep him. I also don't really know how much we can rely on reports about a rift between the coaches and members of the Dline. There is likely no doubt that there are differences of opinion. But the media has a way of taking little tidbits like this and blowing it way out of proportion.

Bottom line is Mario is expensive to keep but what we don't really have a clue about is how the brass is going to handle it. There has been a bit of a circus around the Mario "situation" and just because Ryan and Whaley sound like keeping him could be cost prohibitive, that doesn't make it necessarily a fact. You are probably right that he is as good as gone, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the brass found a way to keep him on the team. Mario likes to get after the passer and he is good at shutting down the run. That also happens to be what he is good at. The brass may actually be acknowledging that.

The stage is set and I am just watching eagerly to see how things unfold. There is an awful lot of Dline talent in the draft so Mario could simply be priced out of a job. Or the brass may want to keep him for a while and find a replacement for Kyle who is getting up there in age.

All of the chatter about descention in the ranks though....probably beaten to death by reporters looking for a real story.