Jim Kelly: 'The U is going to be back' under Mark Richt

Saxum

There is a difference between Georgia "loaded" and Miami "loaded".

Georgia loaded is a whole lot of guys who will be early draft picks and good NFL players.

Miami loaded is a lot of guys who will be dominating in the NFL.

I agree that Richt is what he proved to be at Georgia..........but you don't have to be as good to win big at Miami.

Oh come one, talk like that is 25 years past it's time. The talent today is spread too thin; there's too much recruiting in every area by every team for that mentality to hold.

If the talent in Miami were really that far above and beyond and somehow restricted from leaving the area, the stream of mediocre coaches that have been through there would have had more success than they did.

Edited by Acantha

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come one, talk like that is 25 years past it's time. The talent today is spread too thin; there's too much recruiting in every area by every team for that mentality to hold.

If the talent in Miami were really that far above and beyond and somehow restricted from leaving the area, the stream of mediocre coaches that have been through there would have had more success than they did.

From 2001 to 2004 the Canes produced 19 first round NFL draft picks including 6 in 2004. That's Miami Loaded and it's far from 25 years ago. It's not the area he was referring to, it was the school.

Edited by Mark80

From 2001 to 2004 the Canes produced 19 first round NFL draft picks including 6 in 2004. That's Miami Loaded and it's far from 25 years ago. It's not the area he was referring to, it was the school.

And yet it did nothing to put them back into getting top recruits and routine success at the level being discussed.

Yes, but then they fell off. 25 years ago was referring to the dynasties that couldn't be stopped with the home grown talent that rarely left town. Alabama is the only thing close now a days, and that's all on the coach. Richt isn't Saban.

You'll have to tell me exactly what it is about the school that is supposedly different now that Richt is there that wasn't the case for the previous coaches.

Edited by Acantha

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good coach and will likely do good things for Miami considering how bad it's been there, but IMO he's kind of proven to not be the guy you want to get Miami back to winning titles.

I don't know anything about him, but could he be the guy to get them back to just winning and then the next coach brings them titles?

Hard to imagine why any top recruits would pick Miami now over the past 10 years.

Miami is like....Penn State, at this point. What's the hook?

Good legal services representation and being able to train with players who still go back to the U for training in off season.

Recruiting has never been Richt's issue. He will kill it at Miami. He may have more success at Miami than he did at UGA simply because he's in the ACC now. He was usually on the outside looking in in the SEC because he seemed to always have just enough losses to keep the Dawgs out of the playoffs/BCS. If he can go thru the ACC with one loss or fewer, he's going to be in the conversation.

Well said.

Unfortunately, the program started going down after Jerry Porter threw a flag WAY late for a phantom pass interference call in the National Championship game.

Randy Shannon did not turn out to be a good HC. Golden had his issues and had to deal with the negative recruiting of other schools while there was a threat of sanctions.

That is ALL behind the Canes now. It may take a couple of years, but I am confident that the Hurricanes are going to rebound as top tier football program.

Elite recruits can afford to be really picky these days. Many schools have the "awe factor" that allows them to recruit. I think Miami has really lost this, and in many cases young recruits are probably even unaware of their past success. I think a new stadium is really needed on campus for the Canes. The game day atmosphere is horrible, and probably hurts in recruiting. I know that I'd rather play in a raucous environment like Doak Campbell at FSU as opposed to a quiet uninterested Sun Life Stadium.

College football is better when the U is relevant. Being a U fan myself, I sure hope he's right.

The U will never be the U again. The cockiness. Brashness, Arrogance, is all what made "The U," the "U" and that's what most people including myself were so intrigued about those teams and made them relevant. Those days are long gone. The U will NEVER be like those teams of the 80's, 90's and early 00's.

The U will never be the U again. The cockiness. Brashness, Arrogance, is all what made "The U," the "U" and that's what most people including myself were so intrigued about those teams and made them relevant. Those days are long gone. The U will NEVER be like those teams of the 80's, 90's and early 00's.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that nowadays everyone is cocky,brash,and arrogant. There isn't a single program can solely make that claim. If the U were to get that back it wouldn't make them anything special enough to help with recruiting.

Win the recruiting battles in the southern half of Florida & Richt will have the U back on top in no time. Yes they don't have the game day atmosphere they used to have in the Orange Bowl, but most kids these days want to play close to home if possible. Southern Florida probably produces more talent coming out of high school than any other part of the country.

Win the recruiting battles in the southern half of Florida & Richt will have the U back on top in no time. Yes they don't have the game day atmosphere they used to have in the Orange Bowl, but most kids these days want to play close to home if possible. Southern Florida probably produces more talent coming out of high school than any other part of the country.

I think central FL produces more, especially around the Tampa area. It's crazy the talent that comes out of that region. USF should really have a better team than they do...largest school, crazy talent. They just can't get a foothold.

Also, the Texas/OK region competes there as well. Those schools just can't seem to do anything with it lately.

I agree.

I think central FL produces more, especially around the Tampa area. It's crazy the talent that comes out of that region. USF should really have a better team than they do...largest school, crazy talent. They just can't get a foothold.

Also, the Texas/OK region competes there as well. Those schools just can't seem to do anything with it lately.

charlie strong pulled together a decent recruiting class this year but it's hard to fathom how down they have been, and losing recruits to place like university of Houston? Strong gets one more year, I think.

charlie strong pulled together a decent recruiting class this year but it's hard to fathom how down they have been, and losing recruits to place like university of Houston? Strong gets one more year, I think.

He won't make it through the year if the team isn't very much improved this year.

As a Gator fan, I've obviously seen plenty of Richt over the years. I'm not sure what Miami thinks will be different from his time at Georgia. The recruiting area is basically the same. He'll get better recruits from southern FL, but less interest from the northern part of the state and GA/Carolina regions.

They'll do fine in recruiting, but so did GA. The real question comes down to his coaching ability which just hasn't lived up to his reputation. I don't know how many times during his 14 year tenure at GA that we all got to hear about how loaded their roster was and how THIS was the year they would finally be the year that they won it all, but more often than not never got there.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good coach and will likely do good things for Miami considering how bad it's been there, but IMO he's kind of proven to not be the guy you want to get Miami back to winning titles.

As a UGA fan I have to say you are spot on...and agreeing with a UF fan isn't fun.

Richt is a great recruiter but always has been a bad game manager and bad at putting his players in the best position to succeed.

He will do ok. And the ACC is easier to win in than the SEC.

As a UGA fan I have to say you are spot on...and agreeing with a UF fan isn't fun.

Richt is a great recruiter but always has been a bad game manager and bad at putting his players in the best position to succeed.

He will do ok. And the ACC is easier to win in than the SEC.

You need a great coach to win a national championship at Georgia.

Richt is not that guy.

But you don't need to have a great HC to win one at Miami.

That's just the truth.

Richt just needs to recruit his back yard very well and be an average HC with a decent staff.

People who think that the high school talent has somehow become "spread around" the 50 states or that the well has run dry in south florida over the past 15 years are kidding themselves. :lol:

You need a great coach to win a national championship at Georgia.

Richt is not that guy.

But you don't need to have a great HC to win one at Miami.

That's just the truth.

Richt just needs to recruit his back yard very well and be an average HC with a decent staff.

People who think that the high school talent has somehow become "spread around" the 50 states or that the well has run dry in south florida over the past 15 years are kidding themselves. :lol:

Couldn't agree more. Larry Coker says hi.