John Miller Rookie Review

Fixxxer

It was his rookie year, he flashed with some skills, and was hurt late in the year. Also, Roman's O Line formations are more complex than many in the NFL, but can have great success. He'll get it. He's not playing like Kuondjo, who is a bust. I believe he will improve this year, and if he were so bad, how did we have the #1 running team in the NFL, and not because of just attempts,but yards per attempt.

I like Miller, and if we can just get a RT in the draft, we are set at the line. The rest of the draft will probably be on defense, or at most another WR. The other 5 picks will probably be at all three levels of the defense.

Fixxer, thanks for sharing the article. It was an interesting read.

He'a not fine. He was mediocre and needs to get better. The tape doesn't lie regardless of whether want to hear it or not.

Play a season without a high ankle sprain is what will make him play better - injuries do happen and can diminish performance

Also all NFL players make their biggest jump in improvement from year 1 to year 2

Too many holes on defense and no depth on the O-line coupled with little cap room spells no playoffs again next season I'm afraid.

I'm still hoping the Bills package a late round pick along with our 2017 first rounder to get two or three more picks in the top 60 or so this year. That would allow us to revamp the defense and fix the oline, keep in mind having all those guys on rookie deals is huge.

That's the only way I see us turning this ship around for 2016. Be aggressive and get more picks in a draft class that is deep in many of our positions of need.

Let us hope Kromer can stay out of trouble and get the time he needs to focus on his youngsters. I mean this sincerely.

Hendy ( I hope ) , CK, Miller and even Richardson need to put in extra hours and step up this season. They are the investment/risk Bills made, and Bills need a reasonable return THIS coming season!

Thanks for the link Fixxxer !

Always helps to review and refresh the past seasons details. Even when it is showing the flaws.

I am very hopeful Miller settles in to where TT and Shady et al , can trust him to take care of his assignment

Too many holes on defense and no depth on the O-line coupled with little cap room spells no playoffs again next season I'm afraid.

yay..

Play a season without a high ankle sprain is what will make him play better - injuries do happen and can diminish performance

Also all NFL players make their biggest jump in improvement from year 1 to year 2

thats a good point. Not many O linemen just walk in and nail it. so much is technique and scheme and thanks gosh that is teachable.

I do not think drafting another hoping to nail starter helps us this coming season. Probably have to go FA the following year if these Kids dont come around soon

Guys like Miller and Preston Brown frustrate me. We know they aren't any good but the sentiment is "let's give them another shot and see if they improve." I would much prefer getting a good veteran G and if Miller beats him out in training camp then great. We aren't doing Miller any favors by handing him the starting job and watching him get manhandled. And our RT situation is a joke so we have a whole right side of the line that is terrible and it needs to be addressed

We know they arent any good?

Do we now

Those "experts" took Kouandjo early in round 2 and said they had him as a 1st round player. You put too much faith in mere mortals that don't have much more knowledge than anyone else who studies the game. PFF had Miller ranked as one of the worst G in the NFL. I choose to believe them over personnel guys that have drafted 10 OL since 2010 and got all but 1 wrong

Your going to take PFF ratings over scouts who actually go out and watch them play, run them through drills, interview them?

Good luck with that

The idea of draft stock is always something I struggle with. The only boards we truly see are media ones and they tend to be more reactionary. There's always overcorrection for whatever reason. We're seeing a huge rise wtih Kamalei Correa at the moment, simply because one guy made one comment about him as a good fit for Arizona and pegged him at the back end of the 1st.

All we can say for sure is the Bills had at least a 3rd round grade on him.

Those are all fair points. You never know if a player gets pushed up draft boards late for a BS reason like they tested well at the combine or for a legit reason like the media finally got caught on to what pro scouts already knew. Edited by BarleyNY

Player development seems to be a lost art, especially with the Bills and their fans.

Young players get better, especially in good organizations that know how to coach and develop them. It happens all of the time. In fact, it's the goal and expectation.

Player evaluation has set the Bills back for years.

Whaley still gets the pass. But wow Bills have had drafting issues.

I think you hit on a very critical point though in developing a consistent playoff caliber Team. Coaching and trainers.

This is where i think continuity really comes into play. Get a program that you think works, implement it, review the data. tweak it. And then reinforce the program.

One of the reasons i do not wish for Whaley to be gone. Nor Roman and his crew. i remain on the cusp in regard to rex and his

Edited by 3rdand12

I felt last year that Miller would be a 3rd/4th round pick that could start immediately, and would improve once he added some weight and had an offseason of NFL coaching. I also felt that he'd never be a pro bowler, but rather a serviceable guard.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174895-bandits-2015-draft-report-ogs/?p=3436400

Nothing has changed for me.

I felt last year that Miller would be a 3rd/4th round pick that could start immediately, and would improve once he added some weight and had an offseason of NFL coaching. I also felt that he'd never be a pro bowler, but rather a serviceable guard.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174895-bandits-2015-draft-report-ogs/?p=3436400

Nothing has changed for me.

How good of a run blocker do you think he can be?

its cool that he was 7th in bench reps at something around 300 lbs, and those aren't empty reps, they show on the field. He's 1 of probably 2 linemen we have with the power to really exert his will and move people around. Still has to smooth out some technique and he's not the most bendy or agile, it seems. What do you think is holding him back?

Because we run so much and throw so little I'm wondering if Miller will have more value for us than for other teams who are going with the rule changes/league trend and throwing it more.

I'd be against Miller truly being the lone option at guard but Urbik will have to do as a safety net for another year, considering the salary cap situation. To get a clear no-doubt upgrade over Urbik the Bills would have to spend significant money that isn't in the budget. I do think the Bills should remain open to all OL positions if one happens to be their BPA.