John Miller Rookie Review

Fixxxer

I found this really nice review of our 3rd round rookie John Miller. He had subpar year but he did show some positives however he needs to get a lot better if he wants to keep the starting RG position going forward.

check it out. (Darby and Karlos' reviews are already up)

http://buildingtheherd.com/film-room/john-miller-rookie-review-all-22-breakdown-of-buffalo-bills-3rd-round-pick-in-2015-nfl-draft/

How does anyone offer what they consider an in depth scouting report of a player but nowhere indicate the ankle injuries the player had and likely returned too early from? Reading much of the criticism about moving feet and pushing through blocks - not possibly related to ankle/foot injuries??

Miller is fine and playing 3 more years on a rookie contract of a 3rd rd draft pick....that's gold in todays NFL...look to OT for help

How does anyone offer what they consider an in depth scouting report of a player but nowhere indicate the ankle injuries the player had and likely returned too early from? Reading much of the criticism about moving feet and pushing through blocks - not possibly related to ankle/foot injuries??

Miller is fine and playing 3 more years on a rookie contract of a 3rd rd draft pick....that's gold in todays NFL...look to OT for help

The ankle injury may very well have been a factor in Miller's dismal season, but I think it's fair to say that he's got to do much better in 2016 if he wants to stick. If he stays healthy and performs poorly again he will start looking like a guy who can't play in the league. If he gets dinged (or worse) again and it affects his performance he will get labeled as injury prone and unreliable. He's got 2016 to prove his worth, but I doubt he gets more than that if he doesn't.

Guys like Miller and Preston Brown frustrate me. We know they aren't any good but the sentiment is "let's give them another shot and see if they improve." I would much prefer getting a good veteran G and if Miller beats him out in training camp then great. We aren't doing Miller any favors by handing him the starting job and watching him get manhandled. And our RT situation is a joke so we have a whole right side of the line that is terrible and it needs to be addressed

Guys like Miller and Preston Brown frustrate me. We know they aren't any good but the sentiment is "let's give them another shot and see if they improve." I would much prefer getting a good veteran G and if Miller beats him out in training camp then great. We aren't doing Miller any favors by handing him the starting job and watching him get manhandled. And our RT situation is a joke so we have a whole right side of the line that is terrible and it needs to be addressed

Guys like kdiggz form opinions on guys one or two years in, I want satisfaction immediately. Switch to the Browns you'll love it over there

Agreed. It's Miller's second season so he deserves a shot, but he should have legitimate competition and have to earn it. It'd be ridiculous to see him as the only realistic option at RG. RT needs a big improvement too. Last season the Bills only had three offensive linemen who should have been starting for an NFL team. Now two of them are set to become free agents if not extended in the coming weeks. That's scary.

Guys like kdiggz form opinions on guys one or two years in, I want satisfaction immediately. Switch to the Browns you'll love it over there

I don't need players, third round OGs for example, to come in and be world beaters right away. But they shouldn't be starting if they aren't ready. They should be learning and gaining playing time as they earn it.

Furthermore, I'll say this on Miller. If you're going to draft a player projected as a late day three pick in the third round and then start that player immediately, then you'd better be right about him.

Edited by BarleyNY

Furthermore, I'll say this on Miller. If you're going to draft a player projected as a late day three pick in the third round and then start that player immediately, then you'd better be right about him.

Late Day 3 as in 6th-7th round? Yeah, I don't recall him being projected in that range at all.

Miller improving is one of the keys for the Bills to have a successful 2016 season.

Amen to this. The coaches all spoke about how coachable he was. The author of the article suggested better technique will improve his game tremendously. If this is true, then the situation is a positive one.

My God, the 'kids' we have here..

Kromer, Roman & Rex sang his praises from Day 1 in mini-camp. 'Kids' are going to tell us they're better at evaluating Pro-ready talent and skill than experienced League coaches -with the audacity that we'll take their opinions to heart.

Yeeesh..

Late Day 3 as in 6th-7th round? Yeah, I don't recall him being projected in that range at all.

Actually, you're right. He was a late riser. He was a late round projection at the end of the college season, but he moved up to the 3rd-4th round post season. I do always worry about late risers.

Edited by BarleyNY

Actually, you're right. He was a late riser. He was a late round projection at the end of the college season, but he moved up to the 3rd-4th round post season. I do always worry about late risers.

The idea of draft stock is always something I struggle with. The only boards we truly see are media ones and they tend to be more reactionary. There's always overcorrection for whatever reason. We're seeing a huge rise wtih Kamalei Correa at the moment, simply because one guy made one comment about him as a good fit for Arizona and pegged him at the back end of the 1st.

All we can say for sure is the Bills had at least a 3rd round grade on him.

My God, the 'kids' we have here..Kromer, Roman & Rex sang his praises from Day 1 in mini-camp. 'Kids' are going to tell us they're better at evaluating Pro-ready talent and skill than experienced League coaches -with the audacity that we'll take their opinions to heart.Yeeesh..

Those "experts" took Kouandjo early in round 2 and said they had him as a 1st round player. You put too much faith in mere mortals that don't have much more knowledge than anyone else who studies the game. PFF had Miller ranked as one of the worst G in the NFL. I choose to believe them over personnel guys that have drafted 10 OL since 2010 and got all but 1 wrong

He'a not fine. He was mediocre and needs to get better. The tape doesn't lie regardless of whether want to hear it or not.

He'a not fine. He was mediocre and needs to get better. The tape doesn't lie regardless of whether want to hear it or not.

Lot of issues Miller had were issues he had at Louisville. He's also switched positions which is not easy at all for a rookie.

While he had a poor year, I haven't lost hope yet. Hopefully he can heal up properly and have a better sophomore year.

Those "experts" took Kouandjo early in round 2 and said they had him as a 1st round player. You put too much faith in mere mortals that don't have much more knowledge than anyone else who studies the game. PFF had Miller ranked as one of the worst G in the NFL. I choose to believe them over personnel guys that have drafted 10 OL since 2010 and got all but 1 wrong

Do you know what is awesome? Your contradictions from post to post, or within the same post. PFF is fallible, too, homey, same as scouts. Guards can't be evaluated without taking a look at the situation and the players next to them, and pff is notorious for relying on numbers and nothing else, which anyone who can think critically knows limits the value of the evaluation . I'm sure they would have loved to have him sit and learn, but he was the best option.

Giving up on a rookie who played injured all year is idiotic. Period. But it is much lazier from a intellectual standpoint to think something should be blown up every year if it doesn't go well.

I'm with you on this one. This staff has failed miserably at scouting and drafting oline. Miller got all his praise during OTA's ....in shorts and a t-shirt. He was below average all year long. Any competition for that spot should be welcomed. Handing him the job would be a mistake.

Do you know what is awesome? Your contradictions from post to post, or within the same post. PFF is fallible, too, homey, same as scouts. Guards can't be evaluated without taking a look at the situation and the players next to them, and pff is notorious for relying on numbers and nothing else, which anyone who can think critically knows limits the value of the evaluation . I'm sure they would have loved to have him sit and learn, but he was the best option.

Giving up on a rookie who played injured all year is idiotic. Period. But it is much lazier from a intellectual standpoint to think something should be blown up every year if it doesn't go well.

Apparently you didn't get the gist of the post. I didn't say give up on him. But to stay stagnant and not bring in competition because you feel Miller is young and deserves another shot to turn things around is idiotic. Need to get better at that position. Period

I still don't really know how to grade a lineman. They can screw up one play, and TT scrambles for a TD. Or they can provide excellent pass protection and TT holds the ball.

As for rushing, I don't know what I'm looking at. Obviously if the guy gets by you, you screwed up. But I don't understand blocking concepts enough to understand what is going on out there in the run game. Is it a zone rush? Is he supposed to block this guy, or is he supposed to leave that guy and get up field? I have no clue.

Edited by dneveu