Obama's Post Presidency

/dev/null

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Well...yeah.  Political correctness isn't created and promoted by minorities.  It's promoted by liberal whites who believe minorities need protection and can't take care of themselves.  Minorities themselves don't much care.

So white dude on forum blathering....Do minorities know you speak for them?

Edited by TH3

https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/white-liberals-present-themselves-as-less-competent-in-interactions-with-african-americans

Dupree and her co-author, Susan Fiske of Princeton University, began by analyzing the words used in campaign speeches delivered by Democratic and Republican presidential candidates to different audiences over the years. They scanned 74 speeches delivered by white candidates over a 25-year period. Approximately half were addressed to mostly-minority audiences—at a Hispanic small business roundtable discussion or a black church, for example. They then paired each speech delivered to a mostly-minority audience with a comparable speech delivered at a mostly-white audience—at a mostly-white church or university, for example. The researchers analyzed the text of these speeches for two measures: words related to competence (that is, words about ability or status, such as “assertive” or “competitive”) and words related to warmth (that is, words about friendliness, such as “supportive” and “compassionate”).

Warmth, related to intentions towards others, and competence, related to the ability to carry out those intentions, are two fundamental dimensions of how we see others and portray ourselves in social interactions. Stereotypical portrayals of black Americans generally show them as being less competent than their white counterparts, but not necessarily less friendly or warm, Dupree explains.

The team found that Democratic candidates used fewer competence-related words in speeches delivered to mostly minority audiences than they did in speeches delivered to mostly white audiences. The difference wasn’t statistically significant in speeches by Republican candidates, though “it was harder to find speeches from Republicans delivered to minority audiences,” Dupree notes. There was no difference in Democrats’ or Republicans’ usage of words related to warmth. “It was really surprising to see that for nearly three decades, Democratic presidential candidates have been engaging in this predicted behavior.” 

With this preliminary evidence in hand, the researchers set out to further test their ideas.

They designed a series of experiments in which white participants were asked to respond to a hypothetical or presumed-real interaction partner. For half of these participants, their partner was given a stereotypically white name (such as “Emily”); for the other half, their partner was given a stereotypically black name (such as “Lakisha”). Participants were asked to select from a list of words for an email to their partner. For some studies, this email was for a work-related task; for others, this email was simply to introduce themselves. Each word had been previously scored on how warm or competent it appears. The word “sad,” for example, scored low for both warmth and competence. “Melancholy,” on the other hand, scored high for competence and low on warmth.

Participant also completed a variety of measures that assessed how liberal they were.

The researchers found that liberal individuals were less likely to use words that would make them appear highly competent when the person they were addressing was presumed to be black rather than white. No significant differences were seen in the word selection of conservatives based on the presumed race of their partner. “It was kind of an unpleasant surprise to see this subtle but persistent effect,” Dupree says. “Even if it’s ultimately well-intentioned, it could be seen as patronizing.”

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I don't dislike you, Jim.

I'm frustrated by you, and I'm honest about why.

Seriously??  You're on a message board populated by 99.99% guys.  Most of whom are knuckle draggers who argue about whether or not the Bills should have thrown a slant or ran a draw or argue about why their music is better than someone else's and you're going out of your way to say your frustrated with me?  This whole community is a stew of frustration. 

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Seriously??  You're on a message board populated by 99.99% guys.  Most of whom are knuckle draggers who argue about whether or not the Bills should have thrown a slant or ran a draw or argue about why their music is better than someone else's and you're going out of your way to say your frustrated with me?  This whole community is a stew of frustration. 

Most of those people are morons, and you aren't.

If you were a dope, it wouldn't bother me because I'd expect it.

• 2 weeks later...