We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

Spikes, Searcy, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams. Then add the losses of Gilmore and Bradham in the 2nd half of the season. Mario Williams pouting.

Very different defense. Anyone that thinks Schwartz would have had a top 10 defense is delusional.

The only impact player lost in the "competitive" part of the season was KW........but by then they were playing AWFUL.........the line of thinking you and some others subscribe to is lacking common sense, to be kind.

Aaron Williams might be one of the most overrated players in Bills history......people act like he is outstanding.........he was an above average athletic safety with a penchant for dumb mistakes...not a star playmaker by any means.

It was not the least bit surprising to me that the defense started playing better late in the year without a few talented misfits like KW, Bradham and AW...........they were replaced by players more agreeable to doing what Rex wants to do......which is decidedly less physically and more mentally than what Schwartz was asking.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only impact player lost in the "competitive" part of the season was KW........but by then they were playing AWFUL.........the line of thinking you and some others subscribe to is lacking common sense, to be kind.

Aaron Williams might be one of the most overrated players in Bills history......people act like he is outstanding.........he was an above average athletic safety with a penchant for dumb mistakes...not a star playmaker by any means.

It was not the least bit surprising to me that the defense started playing better late in the year without a few talented misfits like KW, Bradham and AW...........they were replaced by players more agreeable to doing what Rex wants to do......which is decidedly less physically and more mentally than what Schwartz was asking.

Now see I really agree with this....I mean I REALLY agree with it.....

I mean....think about it for a second. Aaron Maybin could not get onto the ST's unit with Buffalo.....he goes to RR and Rex actually got some solid play out of him for a while.

In my opinion....and yes it is my opinion

Schwartz was great at make sure the superb D talent he had played at a high level

RR is much better at taking chicken poo poo physical talent wise and make a meal that is digestable (eww)

That is why I really wonder about guys like LB Powell......who seems to really fit the RR mold to me of a player....he is under contract and wonder just how good he is going to look in RR defense this year....he is athletic,.......he can cover......he can get after the passer.

Players that are physically dominant but seem to have low football IQ seem to struggle in this defense.

Well see how it plays out......we need to replace malcontents and penalty magnets with players that buy into Rex Ryan's defense

I disagree on AW. I think that he is really good and it was clear how much he was missed. He makes some dumb plays like Hughes but also makes a lot of plays. He has a lot of talent.

I disagree on AW. I think that he is really good and it was clear how much he was missed. He makes some dumb plays like Hughes but also makes a lot of plays. He has a lot of talent.

C'mon now.........I expect a lot of people to buy the hype on a twitter all-pro like AW but you know the guy was pretty much invisible in 2014..........let alone 2015.

His knuckleheadedness reached a level notably greater than Hughes because it has likely ended his career.

In his regularly over-emotional gameday state he made a lot of bad decisions in 2013 and early 2014, trying to hit unnecessarily with the crown of his helmet. (Sometimes out of bounds, even.)

When you are a converted(awful) CB you probably shouldn't try to emulate Steve Atwater at safety.

He barely made it into his second year at safety before it caught up with him.

C'mon now.........I expect a lot of people to buy the hype on a twitter all-pro like AW but you know the guy was pretty much invisible in 2014..........let alone 2015.

His knuckleheadedness reached a level notably greater than Hughes because it has likely ended his career.

In his regularly over-emotional gameday state he made a lot of bad decisions in 2013 and early 2014, trying to hit unnecessarily with the crown of his helmet. (Sometimes out of bounds, even.)

When you are a converted(awful) CB you probably shouldn't try to emulate Steve Atwater at safety.

He barely made it into his second year at safety before it caught up with him.

He was a key part of the defensive plan last year. It isn't a coincidence that they were much worse when he wasn't on the field. I think that AW is roughly a top 10-15 safety. He can support the run, cover and turn the ball over.

If you don't like AW for his rough play you must hate Jerry Hughes. Hughes committed 7 personal fouls this past year I think.

He was a key part of the defensive plan last year. It isn't a coincidence that they were much worse when he wasn't on the field. I think that AW is roughly a top 10-15 safety. He can support the run, cover and turn the ball over.

If you don't like AW for his rough play you must hate Jerry Hughes. Hughes committed 7 personal fouls this past year I think.

For me pass rushers are the closest comparable commodity to QB on defense.

Safeties are like the RB of defense......replaceable........the kind of place one the worst CB's in the league(AW) can go and become a decent performer.

So I can live with some penalties from a guy that puts QB's on the ground.

The people counting on AW to be an "indispensable" part of the 2015 defense obviously ignored his very modest play in 2014.

Like I said though.....the big issue with his propensity for dumb play is that his own out of control play has ended his career.

That is kind of a tipping point for me.

For me pass rushers are the closest comparable commodity to QB on defense.

Safeties are like the RB of defense......replaceable........the kind of place one the worst CB's in the league(AW) can go and become a decent performer.

So I can live with some penalties from a guy that puts QB's on the ground.

The people counting on AW to be an "indispensable" part of the 2015 defense obviously ignored his very modest play in 2014.

Like I said though.....the big issue with his propensity for dumb play is that his own out of control play has ended his career.

That is kind of a tipping point for me.

It's also a place that HOF CBs go (Woodson, Woodson). AW is one of the most indispensable players on the roster. He's significantly better than the rest of the safeties.

In terms of accepting dumb plays from some but not from others, it is a little confusing. An unsportsmanlike penalty on Williams is the same as one by Hughes. You either play smart football or you don't.

I guess that we just agree to disagree on this topic.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's also a place that HOF CBs go (Woodson, Woodson). AW is one of the most indispensable players on the roster. He's significantly better than the rest of the safeties.

In terms of accepting dumb plays from some but not from others is a little confusing. An unsportsmanlike penalty on Williams is the same as one by Hughes. You either play smart football or you don't.

I get his point that a PF out of Brady has a little less sting than one from Edelman even if they are the same penalty

I get safety isn't quite the premium position, but I think he gets carried away acting like any bum can do it as well as AW. There would be a lot less bad safety play if it were true. Generally speaking, we've had good play out of the position for awhile which makes it easy to forgot how bad it can be

I get his point that a PF out of Brady has a little less sting than one from Edelman even if they are the same penalty

I get safety isn't quite the premium position, but I think he gets carried away acting like any bum can do it as well as AW. There would be a lot less bad safety play if it were true. Generally speaking, we've had good play out of the position for awhile which makes it easy to forgot how bad it can be

I still don't understand the PF part. If it's 3rd and 20 a personal foul really hurts you. It's no more acceptable if JJ Watt commits it than if Chris Watson does. The result is the same. Edited by Kirby Jackson

In terms of accepting dumb plays from some but not from others is a little confusing. An unsportsmanlike penalty on Williams is the same as one by Hughes. You either play smart football or you don't.

Yeah......35-40 year old CB's can convert to safety and extend their careers........how does that prove the difficulty of the position?

George Wilson became a good safety pretty quickly converting from being a non-NFL quality WR.

Safety is one of the easiest positions to address in the NFL.

If poor safety play drags you down shame on your personnel department or coaching staff.

And yes, I will take a few penalties at the LOS and behind it in the name of reaching the QB versus............late hits out of bounds on random WR's and RB's??

I don't know if you are over-emotional about my this subject or what but it's not as simple as disagreeing on the topic........you are just off-base on some universally accepted facts of the NFL.

Jerry Hughes:

• Neutral Zone Infraction (4),
  • Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2),
  • Unnecessary Roughness (2),
  • Defensive Offside (2),
  • Roughing the Passer (1),
  • Illegal Use of Hands (1),
  • Face Mask (15 Yards) (1),
  • Personal Foul (1)

Jerry definitely needs to watch it

Oh I know what bad safety play looks like and never did I say anything like "any bum can do it as well as AW".

Don't even attribute that nonsense to me......those are your words.

What I said is that one of the worst CB's in the league.........which Aaron Williams WAS.........can convert to safety and play well.

Which he did in 2013.........aside from the stupidity.

But in early 2014 the Steve Atwater-minus-30-pounds act lead to him busting his neck leading with his helmet and he then had to nurse it all season to avoid IR and it took a lot away from his play.

So people expecting him to put up about 3x as much work in Rex D might have not been paying close attention to his 2014.

Jerry Hughes:

• Neutral Zone Infraction (4),
  • Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2),
  • Unnecessary Roughness (2),
  • Defensive Offside (2),
  • Roughing the Passer (1),
  • Illegal Use of Hands (1),
  • Face Mask (15 Yards) (1),
  • Personal Foul (1)
Jerry definitely needs to watch it
That was kind of my point. He isn't getting to the QB a little too late. He makes the most dumb decisions on the team. He had 3 unnecessary roughness and 2 unsportsmanlike penalties last year. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HughJe99/penalties/

Yeah......35-40 year old CB's can convert to safety and extend their careers........how does that prove the difficulty of the position?

George Wilson became a good safety pretty quickly converting from being a non-NFL quality WR.

Safety is one of the easiest positions to address in the NFL.

If poor safety play drags you down shame on your personnel department or coaching staff.

And yes, I will take a few penalties at the LOS and behind it in the name of reaching the QB versus............late hits out of bounds on random WR's and RB's??

I don't know if you are over-emotional about my this subject or what but it's not as simple as disagreeing on the topic........you are just off-base on some universally accepted facts of the NFL.

Im not overly emotional, I just don't agree.

The safety position is an easier position but that doesn't mean that it's okay to be bad there. That doesn't make sense either. Good safety play has been a major factor for the Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, Cardinals and Panthers off the top of my head.

Williams wasn't a good corner but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be a good safety. The position is totally different. JJ Watt was a MAC level TE that has turned into a HOF defensive lineman.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That was kind of my point. He isn't getting to the QB a little too late. He makes the most dumb decisions on the team. He had 3 unnecessary roughness and 2 unsportsmanlike penalties last year. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HughJe99/penalties/

I repeat:

Penalties at or behind the LOS in the name of hitting the QB.

I don't "appreciate" all of his penalties but I don't know how much clearer it can be made that attacking the QB with violence is the #1 aspect of defensive football and Hughes is really good at it.

He needs to clean up some of his game for sure but his effective impact......"WAR", if you will........is far greater than AW.

AW is much easier replaced.

Disagree if you must but when contemplating the impact lost when AW went down, don't forget that the abomination of a defensive effort in the first game versus NE saw AW on the field for most of the damage.

#LegendofAW23 ?

.No. Did you read? .

The Williams thing is the strangest argument of the absolve Rex crowd. Every Sunday we watched as one of the best fronts in the NFL was transformed into one of the worst. We watched NE shred Rex's genius with AW sill in the lineup.

For the sake of the young man's health I hope he retires unless he has solid medical clearance to return. If he gets that clearance and plays, I have no illusion of our defense being transformed. It is a mystery to me how anyone could. He is just another potential scapegoat for Rex's obsolete ideas.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I repeat:

I don't "appreciate" all of his penalties but I don't know how much clearer it can be made that attacking the QB with violence is the #1 aspect of defensive football and Hughes is really good at it.

He needs to clean up some of his game for sure but his effective impact......"WAR", if you will........is far greater than AW.

AW is much easier replaced.

Disagree if you must but when contemplating the impact lost when AW went down, don't forget that the abomination of a defensive effort in the first game versus NE saw AW on the field for most of the damage.

#LegendofAW23 ?

Hughes penalties aren't hitting the QB a little late. He had 1 late hit and 6 other personal fouls. 1 was a face mask which I can excuse. It's fiction though that he was committing personal fouls violently attacking QBs (and I like Hughes).

The defensive game plan against NE the 1st time was the worst game plan that I have ever seen in my life. You tell me who looked good in that game? No one looked worse than Rex.

I'm not sure why you hate Aaron Williams? AW is one of the 10-12 best players on the team, a good citizen and loves WNY. It's an odd player to hate. He is by far the best safety on the roster and the team sorely missed him.

Im not overly emotional, I just don't agree.

The safety position is an easier position but that doesn't mean that it's okay to be bad there. That doesn't make sense either. Good safety play has been a major factor for the Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, Cardinals and Panthers off the top of my head.

Williams wasn't a good corner but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be a good safety. The position is totally different. JJ Watt was a MAC level TE that has turned into a HOF defensive lineman.

Great safety play can make a huge difference.......it's just that great safety play is almost always begins with great pass rush.

You can argue that great CB play buys time for pass rushers but safeties make their impact after the pass rush has done (or not done) it's job.

Williams was a bad corner.......I think PFF had him rated as the worst in the NFL 2012.

It was going to be safety or the chopping block for AW.

And JJ Watt was in the MAC initially because of an injury in HS......and playing TE because of a coaches decision...........which might not have been that far off since he'd probably be a pro bowl TE......possibly even if he switched NOW.

All he does is catch TD's........even caught a 90 something harder from EJ. :lol:

But rightfully so, he is a DE because that is the position of greater importance.

AW transition went the other way.

Great safety play can make a huge difference.......it's just that great safety play is almost always begins with great pass rush.

You can argue that great CB play buys time for pass rushers but safeties make their impact after the pass rush has done (or not done) it's job.

Williams was a bad corner.......I think PFF had him rated as the worst in the NFL 2012.

It was going to be safety or the chopping block for AW.

And JJ Watt was in the MAC initially because of an injury in HS......and playing TE because of a coaches decision...........which might not have been that far off since he'd probably be a pro bowl TE......possibly even if he switched NOW.

All he does is catch TD's........even caught a 90 something harder from EJ. :lol:

But rightfully so, he is a DE because that is the position of greater importance.

AW transition went the other way.

You had t bring up that play didn't you? Ha ha, it was so bad.

I don't disagree with anything said here. If I had a choice of a pass rusher or a safety it is the pass rusher 100 times out of a 100. The lack of pass rush last year was mind blowing. It made the job that Gilmore and Darby did that much more impressive. If Williams is healthy (a huge if) I think that the secondary will be fine. They may add one more but those other guys can fill one spot. The pass rush needs to be way better than last year though. I sure Rob Ryan will make it happen :).

Hughes penalties aren't hitting the QB a little late. He had 1 late hit and 6 other personal fouls. 1 was a face mask which I can excuse. It's fiction though that he was committing personal fouls violently attacking QBs (and I like Hughes).

The defensive game plan against NE the 1st time was the worst game plan that I have ever seen in my life. You tell me who looked good in that game? No one looked worse than Rex.

I'm not sure why you hate Aaron Williams? AW is one of the 10-12 best players on the team, a good citizen and loves WNY. It's an odd player to hate. He is by far the best safety on the roster and the team sorely missed him.

I repeat:

​That includes trying to gain an edge lining up close to the ball or jumping a snap count or using the occasional hand to the face or facemask to get there.......I'm not saying I like them but when one hard hit on a QB can change the way that QB plays the rest of the game.....it's well worth some penalty yardage if it prevents TD's over the course of 4 quarters or leads to poor QB play down the stretch of close games.

I am all about the pass rush........but anyone who has seen my criticism of RR defense this season knows that.

I don't hate Aaron Williams.......I didn't care when he was trashing Bills fans for hating on his bad CB play and I don't care that he loves Bills fans now that he's a legend in excuse-ville.

Truth is he just isn't that good. But if by top 10-12 you mean top 6 on D then I won't necessarily argue that too hard.......probably would have said around 7th or 8th best at season start.....not far off....but most D's don't have 6 or 7 stars.....even 6th is squarely at replacement level in the NFL....not indispensable by any means.

I repeat:

​That includes trying to gain an edge lining up close to the ball or jumping a snap count or using the occasional hand to the face or facemask to get there.......I'm not saying I like them but when one hard hit on a QB can change the way that QB plays the rest of the game.....it's well worth some penalty yardage if it prevents TD's over the course of 4 quarters or leads to poor QB play down the stretch of close games.

I am all about the pass rush........but anyone who has seen my criticism of RR defense this season knows that.

I don't hate Aaron Williams.......I didn't care when he was trashing Bills fans for hating on his bad CB play and I don't care that he loves Bills fans now that he's a legend in excuse-ville.

Truth is he just isn't that good. But if by top 10-12 you mean top 6 on D then I won't necessarily argue that too hard.......probably would have said around 7th or 8th best at season start.....not far off....but most D's don't have 6 or 7 stars.....even 6th is squarely at replacement level in the NFL....not indispensable by any means.

I have seen Aaron Williams make some great athletic plays and I have seen him do some bone headed things out there

He is a very emotional player.....sometimes too much so