We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

Jerry Hughes:

• Neutral Zone Infraction (4),
  • Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2),
  • Unnecessary Roughness (2),
  • Defensive Offside (2),
  • Roughing the Passer (1),
  • Illegal Use of Hands (1),
  • Face Mask (15 Yards) (1),
  • Personal Foul (1)

Jerry definitely needs to watch it

Yeah - they have it out for him to a point too. His roughing the passer call was pretty rough. And he always gets the dumb retaliation penalty for unsportsmanlike. I still don't get how that's fair? It's one of those "It's always been that way" calls.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand the PF part. If it's 3rd and 20 a personal foul really hurts you. It's no more acceptable if JJ Watt commits it than if Chris Watson does. The result is the same.

If I recall, you manage a sales team? Does the same mistake from your top performer bother you in a way that your bottom guy does? If a guys value above replacement is huge, you are more likely to eat a few more of those before drawing a line

If I recall, you manage a sales team? Does the same mistake from your top performer bother you in a way that your bottom guy does? If a guys value above replacement is huge, you are more likely to eat a few more of those before drawing a line

Can only speak for my own management style but it bothers me more. The chances are if one of my weaker members makes a basic mistake they are not making a mistake on a priority project - my stronger performers probably are and they are on that priority because I trust them not to make a mistake. Once I can't have that implicit trust in him then I have to think about restructuring my whole team.

I'm not sure the analogy works compared to football though.

The answer is it depends on the mistake. The top guys have more rope in terms of pushing the line of what's acceptable (while remaining near the line). They are given less slack on something egregious. As top performers the rest of the team shoots for them. They set an example in many ways. If the bottom guy does something really foolish everyone chalks it up to, "that's why he is there." If a top guy does everyone else questions if he is on to something. If whatever it is that he or she did is in part how they got to the top.

Working on restructures

http://www.wgr550.com/Source-Bills-close-to-restructuring-Charles-Clay-s/22506173

If Taylor has a very good season, his new contract would be difficult on the future cap also.

it will. But the cap will go up again and you have a guy like Kyle Williams with an 8m cap hit this year and next. I'm thinking that will be addressed at some point.

The Clay restructure was expected, am glad to see Graham included as I thought he may be cut. Perhaps he will be if he doesn't agree to new terms, but I'd like to have him stay if possible. Leo publically stating he would take a pay cut also pointed toward his contract getting work.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Working on restructures

http://www.wgr550.com/Source-Bills-close-to-restructuring-Charles-Clay-s/22506173

If Taylor has a very good season, his new contract would be difficult on the future cap also.

Pretty decent breakdown, except it is incorrect about the June 1st designation. For cap purposes the contract is carried by the team as if the player is still on the roster until June 1st. They don't get immediate cap relief as the article states. No bonuses can be earned and there is no risk of the player being injured in team activities which would restrict the team from releasing the player.

Gotta create room for Glenn, Incognito, and maybe Bradham.

Gotta create room for Glenn, Incognito, and maybe Bradham.

Yup. Need to clear some space for RFA and ERFA contracts, too. Those qualifying offers need to be submitted by 3/9. Hers a list of all Bills FAs:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

Edited by BarleyNY

Unused cap carryover for 2016 -4.467m

https://www.nflpa.com/news/all-news/2016-nfl-clubs-unused-salary-cap-carryover-amounts-announced

@mikerodak

It's worth noting that Bills saved $2.5M by releasing Fred Jackson and $2M by trading Matt Cassel. Accounts for most of $4.6M carryover.

Edited by YoloinOhio

In the Rex defense a safety who can cover is a key plan was Graham and Williams both with corner cover skills. When Aaron Williams couldn't play it changed A LOT of things. Do we want Bradham back

The game in which Aaron Williams was injured was a game where Rex's defense was wholly exposed and being slapped around like a hooker with Brady playing the role of pimp. For Pete's sake, Williams injury occurred on a touchdown play. I hope he gets better for his own health and plays if there is very low risk or no risk to him, but we cannot expect him to save this defense by any stretch imaginable. It was getting worked over before he was hurt. It is antiquated.

The game in which Aaron Williams was injured was a game where Rex's defense was wholly exposed and being slapped around like a hooker with Brady playing the role of pimp. For Pete's sake, Williams injury occurred on a touchdown play. I hope he gets better for his own health and plays if there is very low risk or no risk to him, but we cannot expect him to save this defense by any stretch imaginable. It was getting worked over before he was hurt. It is antiquated.

How is it antiquated? Please explain.

@mikerodak

Bills' cap space, via @ESPNStatsInfo, which was already considering $4.467M carryover, Top 51 and proj. $154M cap

CcEVOC3UEAAqmuM.jpg

Correct. Adjusted cap space is just the league base cap space plus carryover (and, rarely, plus or minus any other team specific modification such as the cap penalties Washington and Dallas got a few years back).

@mikerodak

It's worth noting that Bills saved $2.5M by releasing Fred Jackson and $2M by trading Matt Cassel. Accounts for most of $4.6M carryover.

But how will the Bills move on without their veteran presences to stabilize them?

#Going Rogue

But seriously, this is a good sign. With carry over, we're pretty much at the cap with a number of easy calls to make.

According to Spotrac, we're $909K over with our top 51 with the rollover cap before we draft.

I'm going to suggest two cuts that I don't think will blow anyone away, or would seem incredibly difficult to fill on a third day draft pick or waiver wire pickup:

Urbik (backup guard)

Carpenter (can't hit the new extra points)

That puts the Bills $1.25M over the cap after the draft.

That's before even needing to debate if you want McKelvin, Graham or Lawson back, but at a lower number and you might want to restructure.

That's before rolling in up to I think $7.5M if we choose to turn Clays roster bonus to a signing bonus.

That's before seeing how much a pay cut Mario is willing to take.

That's before we possibly sign Gilmore up long term for Talib or Byron Maxwell money, which could knock off a few million.

I think Whaley has room to work.