Chris Long anyone? (Released by Rams with Laurinaitis/Cook)

Peter

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have some LB with potential stashed on the depth chart. LB is probably one of Whaley's best areas for talent evaluation, and judging by his track record he likes to follow the Steelers "Linebacker U" system where possible - draft a mid-round player, have him play ST and learn, bring him in his 2nd to 3rd year.

The thing is, I do have a sense of skepticism as to whether "any decent LB who can play well" will anchor Rex's complex D. I think for it to function optimally, he needs at least one and maybe two superbly talented LB.

Yolo, the way I understand it to work, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, is that the coaches and GMs get together after the season ends and grade/value guys. So Whaley doesn't independently value guys, or shouldn't - the value he put on Spikes reflected Rex and Rex's staff opinion of Spikes value. So in a sense, Rex *did* dump Spikes, or have a hand in dumping Spikes, by putting a specific value on him, and by (apparently) not pushing to bring in someone who might directly replace him. I believe Rex thought Preston Brown might develop to be his next David Harris/Ray Lewis type. I thought PB played well in 2014 but last year showed he was over his head in Rex' system at MLB

i hope you are correct, as Yolo mentioned Rex was quite adamant in regard to Powell. Who is a vet out All last year. Reddick. Tarpley. Where is this depth ?

i am surely not arguing insomuch as wondering

People really need to move on from the Spikes' talk. His snaps have been on a steady decline every year of his career. He is a liability because a qb will audible to a pass when he is on the field.

Last year, the problem wasn't talent.

Buusheeet. he was awesome at calling out the Offense. so what if he was not a sideline to sideline guy. he had great anticipation and always seemed to know the play.

And he was a leader. so no i will not stop. I for sure realize he ain't comin back but hell, he played well for us. That was a mistake from the outside looking in.

i hope you are correct, as Yolo mentioned Rex was quite adamant in regard to Powell. Who is a vet out All last year. Reddick. Tarpley. Where is this depth ?

i am surely not arguing insomuch as wondering

Buusheeet. he was awesome at calling out the Offense. so what if he was not a sideline to sideline guy. he had great anticipation and always seemed to know the play.

And he was a leader. so no i will not stop. I for sure realize he ain't comin back but hell, he played well for us. That was a mistake from the outside looking in.

He played less than 50% of snaps. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/12/29/7463105/2014-buffalo-bills-defense-review-snap-counts-play-time-percent-stats

He played behind 3 all pros on the defensive line. Who won't have success in that situation?

oh.

He played less than 50% of snaps. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/12/29/7463105/2014-buffalo-bills-defense-review-snap-counts-play-time-percent-stats
He played behind 3 all pros on the defensive line. Who won't have success in that situation?

and what line would not have success with a MLB who would clean up anything between the hashes. I did watch the man play btw. Not as bad as some made him out to be with game speed because he was moving before the snap mostly

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think he did? Whaley said they wanted to re-sign Spikes, who was a FA. However the value he had placed on him to what they believed was a 2 down LB didn't match with the value spikes had on himself. They couldn't come to an agreement on money and Whaley wouldn't budge. He ended up signing with NE, but then got the DUI/hit and run and was cut before TC even started. He faces a 6 game suspension I believe at the point he signs with anyone, if he ever does.

IMO it isn't that they didn't want him, they just didn't think he was worth what he thought he was worth for the number of snaps he'd be playing. He didn't even play that many snaps for Schwartz.

Difference with JL there is, though he may now be viewed in a similar way, he did play 97% of defensive snaps for Rams in his career.

Is his sitting considered time served on the suspension front though?

Ha HA!

Answer: Obviously all the other Bills LBs in 2015.

The same 3 all pros were still there in 2015. Kyle was out some games, but in 2014 there were also times when the Dline had players out during course of the season.

Ha HA!

Answer: Obviously all the other Bills LBs in 2015.

The same 3 all pros were still there in 2015. Kyle was out some games, but in 2014 there were also times when the Dline had players out during course of the season.

kyle missed one game and Dareus missed one game in 2014. We know what happened when Dareus was out. I don't remember the game that Kyle missed, it might have been the meaningless one at the end of the year. Mario and Hughes both missed zero games. Hughes even played with an injured wrist in 2015, he probably could have missed time but didn't. Either way, 2014 and 2015 were very different on the injury/suspension front.