How to win with JP starting!

Run the ball and then run it again.

Folks who somehow expect this young QB who never has started and NFL game to come in and be the second coming of Elway or Joe Montana are almost certainly engaging in wishful thinking.

The Pitysburgh model of last year with Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis running the ball and a corps of WRs like Hines Ward gathering in anything thrown near them is the way you turn a rookie like RoboQB into one of the winningest rookie QBs ever.

If the Bills can make 9-7 with Bledsoe at the helm, they can drag a young learning QB to a winning record as well.

I expect Losman to have an up and down year. If he doesn't do too much damage to our W/L as he learns the game we may well make the playoffs. Pitts in the championship game like Buffalo against Pitts fell short when the counted upom a young QB to lead the team to victory. The best example of a young QB leading a team to the ultimate victory has been NE with Brady where actually the point the have emphasized and people now agree with as they argue whether Brady is really that good or not is that the way they win with a young QB is that it is the TEAM that wins.

So what should JP do. If he never throws the ball 30 times in a game and most games he only throws it 20 times this will be a good season indeed.

Yup and watch the safeties sneak in, and the linebackers not have to play mid zone.

244369[/snapback]

This why Clements/MM run the dipsy-doodles as a used part of the playbook. The team needs to provide the threat that they may go deep and I am happy to expand my dictum, to make it run the ball and run it again and throw just enough passes to keep em honest.

However, keeping honest with the young QB and relying on the young QB are two way different things. Relying on JP a lot or really much at all is probably not going to be a successful way to go.

JP has some essential roles in our winning team, but it starts with handing the ball off to WM and involves him doing that 40 or more times a game. It involves him using the speed of Evans and the circus catch ability of Moulds a real threat, but my sense of winning football is that this threat will be made real with 20 or so throws a game and if it gets much higher than that we are probably losing and maybe big time.

We didn't ask much of Drew last year, and it'll probably be the same for JP. Don't turn the ball over, make the throws when we need you to, and be patient but not stupid.

For a professional football player, it shouldn't be that hard.

40 rushes for WMG X 16 games = 640 rushes.  I believe amphetamines are banned by the NFL... :P

244393[/snapback]

Oh hell why not dream. People thknk JP will be like Payton Manning in his 5th year, not David Carr in his first year. They think Stewart was a probowler who would be happy to teach JP the way to run around and become a super star, with those fantasies, hell Willis could probably run 60 times per game. I am sure no defense will pack it in with 10 guys in the box. :w00t:

40 rushes for WMG X 16 games = 640 rushes.  I believe amphetamines are banned by the NFL... :w00t:

244393[/snapback]

This actually one of the big reasoms why our shopping list starts with a back-up RB because WM cannot be used like we need to use the RB with a young QB. I like Shaud Williams but much more as a change0up and third down back because we need someone to do what we wanted Travis Henry to do for us.

The key question for us is not who starts at QB but who teams with WM to be like Staley and Bettis were for Pitts.

This actually one of the big reasoms why our shopping list starts with a back-up RB because WM cannot be used like we need to use the RB with a young QB.  I like Shaud Williams but much more as a change0up and third down back because we need someone to do what we wanted Travis Henry to do for us.

The key question for us is not who starts at QB but who teams with WM to be like Staley and Bettis were for Pitts.

244397[/snapback]

Other needs are more pressing, but yes, they are thin at RB. Despite the drum beats to trade TH, he may well stay.

If the Bills can make 9-7 with Bledsoe at the helm, they can drag a young learning QB to a winning record as well.

244364[/snapback]

That's an awfully big assumption.

There is no guarantee that JP can match Drew's numbers in his first year. None. Drew was a 12 year vet. Sure, he made TONS of mindboggling mistakes, but for every Big Ben there are a 100 Heath Shuelers. The fact is we don't know what we have with JP yet. So to expect him to win 9 games "because Drew did it" is flawed logic.

Big Ben had a better Defense, better running game, better WRs and a much easier division. You cannot assume because Big Ben did it, JP will do it. The odds are stacked against it.

Hmmm...maybe not so big a difference.

AFC East cumulative record: 37 - 27.

AFC North cumulative record:  36 - 28.

244416[/snapback]

Pats, Jets, Fins twice a year vs Baltimore, Clevland and Cincy.

Baltimore is good, but Clevland and Cincy aren't.

Pats, Jets, Fins twice a year vs Baltimore, Clevland and Cincy.

Baltimore is good, but Clevland and Cincy aren't.

244420[/snapback]

If Cincy didn't have 14 players on IR last year including several starters, and if C Brabham and QB Palmer played, do you think the Bills would have knocked them off in week 14? They played PIT and lost by 11 and 5 points, and lost to NE by 7. Bills lost to PIT by 5, and got stomped twice by NE.

I'm a Bills fan since 1960, but be realistic...

If Cincy didn't have 14 players on IR last year including several starters, and if C Brabham and QB Palmer played, do you think the Bills would have knocked them off in week 14? They played PIT and lost by 11 and 5 points, and lost to NE by 7.  Bills lost to PIT by 5, and got stomped twice by NE.

I'm a Bills fan since 1960, but be realistic...

244432[/snapback]

I'm not saying anything about Cincy vs Buffalo. What I am saying is the AFC East from top to bottom is better/tougher than the AFC North.

Which is one of many factors that makes Big Ben's success impossible to expect from JP.

Big Ben had a better team: Better D, Better running game, better WRs, Better line AND plays in an easier division.

JPs road will be much tougher than Big Ben's was.

I'm not saying anything about Cincy vs Buffalo. What I am saying is the AFC East from top to bottom is better/tougher than the AFC North.

Which is one of many factors that makes Big Ben's success impossible to expect from JP.

Big Ben had a better team: Better D, Better running game, better WRs, Better line AND plays in an easier division.

JPs road will be much tougher than Big Ben's was.

244434[/snapback]

It should be. He's less talented than Roethlisburger. The Bills would have booted Evans into the ditch if they had the opportunity to draft Big Ben. Divisonal differences, as you percieve them, is a small matter overall.