[NASCAR] 15 years ago today....

Just Jack

We had just bought our first house and hadn't moved in yet, but went there to bring some stuff. I had a small and I was bored while the wife was doing things, so I decided to watch it, when I almost never do. Weird.

Still gives me chills. I remember going to the bar with a group of friends to watch the race. After the race was over, we all went to someone's house to meet up with our wives, when my wife's cell phone rang and it was a friend of mine back on the east coast telling me that Earnhardt had died. Immediately switched over to ESPN to get as much info as possible. The rest of the get together that afternoon was pretty surreal.

Good find Jack! :thumbsup:

Edited by Bullpen

remember it well, and this was before I appreciated NASCAR, but I knew this was a big deal. Such an innocent looking crash too.

Those crashes are crazy... "The big one" type crashes you would associate with parts and cars flying all over the place. However, based on how these cars are built, when they explode into a million pieces, they dissipate energy. Earnhardt went from 180 mph-to-0mph in a split second. Simple physics that doesn't pass the eye test. With that said, he went instantly doing what he loved. Not a bad way to go in my opinion...

When I watched it live it just didn't seem that bad. I was into NASCAR then because of the Bodines were from Chemung County and WGI had a race. It really is chilling to watch it again....

I remember thinking when I saw it "Oh, that's a hell of a lot worse than it looks."

I knew as soon as it happened. I was devastated and it basically wrecked racing for me. I can't bring myself to watch it.

It was such a sharp contrast from when he won the Daytona 500 just a couple of years earlier. I was stuck in Ketchikan, Alaska at the time and had to get up early to watch it. Such a thrill to watch him finally kill that gorilla.