Could Mario Williams Be Draft Day Trade Bait?

H2o

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the oddity of this offseason, would anybody be surprised Mario remains a Bill on a revised deal?

You know, continuity and all.

I'd be absolutely stunned. Let's look at the facts:

- Mario isn't happy with his use in Rex's system and would rather be primarily rushing the QB.

- Rex can get a much cheaper player to do what he wants (drop in coverage, maintain the edge, occasionally rush the QB).

- The Bills need the cap space Mario's release would give them, badly.

- Mario is due a $2.5M roster bonus in a few weeks.

Barring a big change in defensive philosophy and a willingness to allow Mario to rush the passer the table is set for a very bad situation. Mario was clearly very frustrated last season. He sure looked like he was phoning it in at times in the last game or two. He had already heard the rumors of his imminent release. It isn't a good situation now and I s there any reason to think that there won't be worse problems if he's kept for 2016? Since Rex and his defensive philosophy aren't going anywhere in 2016, Mario is.

Zero chance that Mario is on the roster on draft day AND still being draft day trade bait. $7m in dead money for the Bills with his prorated bonus. He gets a $2.5m roster bonus on March 8 or 9 if he's still here. $500K workout bonus when camp breaks and then $11.5m in salary. I don't think there's a front office in the NFL that would be so stupid to trade for an over the hill DE that took a lot of plays off last season and then turn around and give him at least $14.0 million. Then they're going to turn around and give away draft picks? LMAO. Keep firing up the black gungi.