Could Mario Williams Be Draft Day Trade Bait?

H2o

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 4-3 team with a ton of cap space who has a hard time attracting FAs (like Jax) may make a trade for him and then try to do an extension.

However, it would need to be well before draft day. Bills will want his cap space by 3/9 or 3/16 at the latest. He will be traded (unlikely) or cut before then. They won't hang on to his salary all the way until the draft.

Agree 100% with everything above.

If we find a trade partner it is all gravy, but, there is a slim possibility.

Edited by Manther

He'd have to agree to some kind of long term deal. I'd think he's probably gonna do a 1 year deal to show people he can get back to form.

I don't think a football player over 30 is going to willingly take a one year deal to prove anything to anyone. He's shown his worth already, and his agent can always blame last season's results on the change in scheme. He might take a one year deal to play for a team like the Seahawks or Patriots, but outside that I doubt we see him sign for one year.

I don't think a football player over 30 is going to willingly take a one year deal to prove anything to anyone. He's shown his worth already, and his agent can always blame last season's results on the change in scheme. He might take a one year deal to play for a team like the Seahawks or Patriots, but outside that I doubt we see him sign for one year.

I agree. No way they will settle for a prove it deal, his agent had him complain openly to keep the door open. Now during negotiations they can cling to him being misused as he continually reminded us all.

Good riddance. Hopefully this is the start of a new trend and we can now sign FA's to team friendly deals.

I agree. No way they will settle for a prove it deal, his agent had him complain openly to keep the door open. Now during negotiations they can cling to him being misused as he continually reminded us all.

Good riddance. Hopefully this is the start of a new trend and we can now sign FA's to team friendly deals.

Team friendly deals are the types Whaley terms, "Dust settles" players. If its a big ticket FA, the cost will usually be prohibitive at some point. Cost of doing business. Why it's important to win during the window the contract isn't killing the team.

Team friendly deals are the types Whaley terms, "Dust settles" players. If its a big ticket FA, the cost will usually be prohibitive at some point. Cost of doing business. Why it's important to win during the window the contract isn't killing the team.

To this point we have seen zero evidence that anyone in this organization can draft/sign FA's and restructure deals to create a window of success. Whaley is the face of that and with looming pressure as another season passes I do not expect him to become more calculated.

Throwing money around last season proved to be fruitless with new schemes being implemented on both sides of the ball. Last season we saw a window for a promising defense close in our faces as they turned into a crop of misfits. While we are replacing them we are staring at overpaying a LT, an unproven QB, and an Eagle who is doing some consulting work in Buffalo. Welcome to Buffalo where climbing the Falls is easier than building a franshise.

Welcome to Buffalo Rob Ryan, I thought you stepped in **** on your way up but that's just your defense that stinks.

Edited by Commonsense

So let's say I'm single and looking for a wife. You have a wife- and yours happens to weigh 400 lbs. and has no teeth. You wouldn't mind moving on from her, so to speak- and would like to pawn her off on me. But why on God's blue earth would I want her? And not only would you expect me to take her off of your hands, but you would also like some sort of compensation for taking this millstone off of your neck. Should I give you, I don't know, my lawnmower or a set of steak knives, to take this toothless behemoth from you and make her my wife? Not a chance in h€ll. I want the young hottie!

When you call and ask if I'm interested, all I'm going to say is "Get a divorce!" I don't want you're anchor hung around my neck.

His agent can blame last season's results all he wants on scheme change, but the tape speaks for itself. And the tape is very unkind to Mario.

And the tape don't lie.

GO BILLS!!!

His agent can blame last season's results all he wants on scheme change, but the tape speaks for itself. And the tape is very unkind to Mario.

And the tape don't lie.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario is one season removed from a different scheme and 14.5 sacks. He had 13 the year prior and 10.5 the year before that. Players get old and lose a step, but that hasn't happened to Mario yet. Some team will pay him and, if they use him properly, he'll get double digit sacks again next season.

Some of the fans are blaming Mario because it is convenient. He's hilly paid and on the way out which makes him an easy target for blame. But the whole defense went from top 5 in most categories to bottom third of the league in most. None of the front seven had the stats they did the previous year. Hughes went from 10 to 5 sacks. Did he lose a step? That is on Rex and his staff, not the players.

why does the dead cap stay on the cap if you trade a guy? ugh nfl salary cap is so hard to understand sometimes. so easy to look at the nhl and see whats going on.

Because the money has already been paid to the player, and the team was allowed to spread it out over the length of the contract...so at some point it needs to count against the cap.

So let's say I'm single and looking for a wife. You have a wife- and yours happens to weigh 400 lbs. and has no teeth. You wouldn't mind moving on from her, so to speak- and would like to pawn her off on me. But why on God's blue earth would I want her? And not only would you expect me to take her off of your hands, but you would also like some sort of compensation for taking this millstone off of your neck. Should I give you, I don't know, my lawnmower or a set of steak knives, to take this toothless behemoth from you and make her my wife? Not a chance in h€ll. I want the young hottie!

When you call and ask if I'm interested, all I'm going to say is "Get a divorce!" I don't want you're anchor hung around my neck.

OK now THIS analogy I understood LOL

How about the one in your avatar? Is she a free agent???