Could Mario Williams Be Draft Day Trade Bait?

H2o

I know people are going to say no one wants him, but teams need pass rushers and he was an effective one for us in a 4-3 defense up until this past season. He's only 31 and the $ would be manageable for a team taking him on via trade because it knocks his cap number down to $11,500,000. Like I said, pass rushers are at a premium and his salary wouldn't be that bad for another team with the need to go along with the space. The team that takes him on would also be able to cut ties whenever they wanted without incurring a penalty themselves. Maybe Mario and our 1st to move up in the 1st? Just a thought.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 4-3 team with a ton of cap space who has a hard time attracting FAs (like Jax) may make a trade for him and then try to do an extension.

However, it would need to be well before draft day. Bills will want his cap space by 3/9 or 3/16 at the latest. He will be traded (unlikely) or cut before then. They won't hang on to his salary all the way until the draft.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I doubt it as was stated teams know we plan to cut him. The only incentive is it gives whomever were to trade for him exclusive rights to him, but still doubt you'd get much if anything.

2nd potential issue, I'm no salary cap expert, but I'd be surprised if there aren't more salary cap hits to the Bill's if he's still on the roster on the beginning of the NFL calendar year which occurs in early March. Typically there are as that is why most players are cut before then. In addition we'd then have to cut $19mil worth of other players to get under the salary cap on day 1 one the NFL calendar. that's was the biggest reason I've heard why we need to cut him as without cutting him, would be hard pressed to re-sign Glenn or Richie or anyone else.

A 4-3 team with a ton of cap space who has a hard time attracting FAs (like Jax) may make a trade for him and then try to do an extension.

However, it would need to be well before draft day. Bills will want his cap space by 3/9 or 3/16 at the latest. He will be traded (unlikely) or cut before then. They won't hang on to his salary all the way until the draft.

This.

ps what if we offer up the locker room fridge as an incentive in the trade negotiations ?

Zero chance. He's due a $2.5M roster bonus well before the draft. I don't see a date for it, but it's usually in March right after the start of the league year. Plus he's got a $500k workout bonus that might or might not be in play pre-draft. Then you have the issue of not having the cap space his release would free up until draft day - which means basically all of the free agents it could be spent on are gone. Also the odds that any potential trade partner would actually have enough cap space to acquire him on draft day is pretty slim. He will be off the team no later than the day his roster bonus is due. Incidentally, if the Bills don't pay that roster bonus he becomes a free agent immediately upon them missing the payment date.

I would trade him for a 7th just so we wouldnt be hit with any dead cap money like we would if we released him

CBF

That only applies to any future guaranteed money (and even in those cases there are sometimes offsets). Mario has nothing guaranteed so the dead money and cap hit is exactly the same whether he's traded or released. Edited by BarleyNY

They can't carry his cap number through to the draft; he'll be gone before March 9th.

Zero chance. He's due a $2.5M roster bonus well before the draft. I don't see a date for it, but it's usually in March right after the start of the league year. Plus he's got a $500k workout bonus that might or might not be in play pre-draft. Then you have the issue of not having the cap space his release would free up until draft day - which means basically all of the free agents it could be spent on are gone. Also the odds that any potential trade partner would actually have enough cap space to acquire him on draft day is pretty slim. He will be off the team no later than the day his roster bonus is due. Incidentally, if the Bills don't pay that roster bonus he becomes a free agent immediately upon them missing the payment date.

That only applies to any future guaranteed money (and even in those cases there are sometimes offsets). Mario has nothing guaranteed so the dead money and cap hit is exactly the same whether he's traded or released.

Spotrac says his 2016 roster bonus is due March 13th:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-williams/

That only applies to any future guaranteed money (and even in those cases there are sometimes offsets). Mario has nothing guaranteed so the dead money and cap hit is exactly the same whether he's traded or released.

Crap

CBF

I know people are going to say no one wants him, but teams need pass rushers and he was an effective one for us in a 4-3 defense up until this past season. He's only 31 and the $ would be manageable for a team taking him on via trade because it knocks his cap number down to $11,500,000. Like I said, pass rushers are at a premium and his salary wouldn't be that bad for another team with the need to go along with the space. The team that takes him on would also be able to cut ties whenever they wanted without incurring a penalty themselves. Maybe Mario and our 1st to move up in the 1st? Just a thought.

hopefully but doubt it, getting a first would be sweet.