good news on the ralph..

The lack of development opportunities around the stadium. Cost for an open air stadium was close.

Does anyone have a link to the study, not a biased media report on what it said?

1.) This team is a regional team. It is subsidized with massive amounts of funds from Erie County countywide and taxpayers from across the whole state. Just because some City of Buffalo residents think they deserve special tax subsidies to enhance their life does not mean that the construction of the stadium for their exclusive benefit does not mean they should get it. Development opportunities created in Orchard Park are just as valid as any created in the City.

2.) Location of the stadium near the water would increase the need for a covered stadium due to lake weather enhancements.

3.) The facts show that the economic benefits of football only stadiums nationwide that benefit the immediate surrounding area are very minimal in overall ROI.

4.) It is not just the cost of the stadium itself. The costs of infrastructure to support the traffic to and from it can be almost as much as the costs of the stadium itself. The current location already has had that infrastructure built and refined. Not so with any downtown location in the study.

5.) The current location provides the most readily available land of any of the options for any current and future expansion or needs.

6.) From what I have read the current location is the least expensive to the taxpayers.

Edited by simpleman

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So wake up people of Western New York the millenium known as the 21st century started a long time ago. And it would behoove a lot of you to get a grander picture of where the world is going. Maybe when you watch games from Minnesota and Atlanta's new facilities in the upcoming seasons you might feel differently.

Wake up western New York?

WE'RE THE ONES BUYING THE TICKETS! And we're buying the tickets at record rates, might I remind you. Not to mention the fact that we would be footing the bill in government aid for the stadium.

The place that the world is going is a place of living beyond ones means. Forgive us if we haven't gotten caught up in watching billionaires trying to one up each other using money taken out of our own pockets by the government.

Unless you live in a cave, you would know that the NFL actually has welcomed the Chargers to join the Rams in Kroenke's new stadium. And if they turn it down, the NFL will welcome the Raiders to LA in place of the Chargers.

Your sarcasm is really paranoia.

Exactly my point. One of them will have a new stadium, and the other will be forced to get one soon as well. I don't care if a new stadium is built, I'm just making the point that we can all scream and shout as much as we want and a new stadium WILL be built. Whether we want it or not. Does everyone forget when Goodell basically said we must build a new stadium? The prospect of being forced to be build a new stadium by the league is far closer to reality than paranoia. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I don't understand why everyone is so against a dome. Being outside does not give Buffalo any sort of advantage.

If in mid-December in a crucial game to get in the playoffs I dont want freezing rain or sleet or ETC ETC to hamper the game play on the field.

You notice how all of the big games both College and NFL are never played in a place where bad weather might exist?

But hey we wont be able to drink the 20 beers before the game anymore....

Also, what the NFL wants, they get. The NFL wants new stadiums.

The Ralph is also a terribly laid out stadium. once you leave your seat you have no view of the field. A new stadium would allows fans to be in-line for concessions/bathrooms and still have access to watch the game.

WE'RE THE ONES BUYING THE TICKETS! And we're buying the tickets at record rates, might I remind you. Not to mention the fact that we would be footing the bill in government aid for the stadium.

The place that the world is going is a place of living beyond ones means. Forgive us if we haven't gotten caught up in watching billionaires trying to one up each other using money taken out of our own pockets by the government.

You are going to hate a few years from now when the Bills get a new stadium.

Edited by CountDorkula

This debate is all about nothing. Dome, downtown, Orchard Park, whatever. The Bills will: (1) still have the best fans; (2) still have the best home crowd. I don't care. I just want to make sure that Bills fans are not "priced-out," which I don't see happening in any scenario because attendance would dive. Lets win the Super Bowl, I don't care about the stadium. We--the fans---make the stadium.

Edited by RyanC883

I don't understand why everyone is so against a dome. Being outside does not give Buffalo any sort of advantage.

If in mid-December in a crucial game to get in the playoffs I dont want freezing rain or sleet or ETC ETC to hamper the game play on the field.

You notice how all of the big games both College and NFL are never played in a place where bad weather might exist?

Finally someone with a sensible stance. The truth is whether you want it or not it's going to happen. That being said domes can be quite sterile environments that are especially annoying when the weather is nice. A retractable roof would be perfect. I agree that the elements don't give our guys who mostly grew up in Florida an advantage against the opponents guys from Florida. I think that myth grew from the early 90's teams. We were just so much better than everyone else we would have won anywhere. Look at the legend of

Favre at Lambeau in the cold. He was dominant in his prime, but by the 2000's teams went in there and could beat the Packers. Favre's teams weren't what they once were anymore. Now teams could beat them even with the "impossible" home field advantage of the cold.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Why is it good news that the Bills will not have a new stadium anytime soon? .....

My sense is that people are relieved that there is no rush to action, and there is no misalignment calendar priorities between NYS and the Bills.

In the article:

1. Brandon was quoted to the effect of "we are not in a hurry, and we want something sensible for WNY"

2. The Governor was was quoted to the effect of "we're not ready to go there yet"

That both sides agree on the slow-go approach is a good thing.

The thread also devolved into an Orchard Park v. Downtown discussion. That's OK, it's important to get those opinions out there.

My sense is that people are relieved that there is no rush to action, and there is no misalignment calendar priorities between NYS and the Bills.

In the article:

1. Brandon was quoted to the effect of "we are not in a hurry, and we want something sensible for WNY"

2. The Governor was was quoted to the effect of "we're not ready to go there yet"

That both sides agree on the slow-go approach is a good thing.

The thread also devolved into an Orchard Park v. Downtown discussion. That's OK, it's important to get those opinions out there.

And Erie County Executive Mark Polinarz is in favor of this approach and favors keeping the Bills at the Ralph Wilson complex.

I realize I'm 100 plus miles away but I'm all for the retrofit of the Ralph. I saw the Stones there in 1978 and first Bills game in 1979. It's easy to get to from down here, I86 to I 390 to 20a. The cops in Warsaw all think they are Barney Fife but thats another story. Save the Ralph!

I just like the character and variability of an outdoor venue. The indoor teams' home games appear to be dark and miscellaneous.

I'm also adverse to the idea of playing in the elements on the road and being at a disadvantage because we're a soft dome team like the Colts, falcons and saints. We're the Buffalo Bills for cryin out loud, when it's too tough for them its just right for us.

I realize I'm 100 plus miles away but I'm all for the retrofit of the Ralph. I saw the Stones there in 1978 and first Bills game in 1979. It's easy to get to from down here, I86 to I 390 to 20a. The cops in Warsaw all think they are Barney Fife but thats another story. Save the Ralph!

I was at that concert. Epic. If I remember, it was: the Stones, Fleetwood Mac?, Foreigner, Pablo Cruise?

I was at that concert. Epic. If I remember, it was: the Stones, Fleetwood Mac?, Foreigner, Pablo Cruise?

I don't think any of those are correct. I think ELO was there but I was so trashed who knows. The worse show of the day was the Stones because a thunderstorm rolled through and they said screw it.

The Ralph is also a terribly laid out stadium. once you leave your seat you have no view of the field. A new stadium would allows fans to be in-line for concessions/bathrooms and still have access to watch the game.

in response to the 2 points in bold.

1) The people that drink 20 beers now are still going to drink 20 beers no matter what/where you place the stadium. I have never been to an NFL stadium, anywhere, and i have been to most, where iIdid not see drunks. I am in the lot from 9 AM to after 7pm most games days...tailgaiting does not have to equal getting blasted. Go a Skins, Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Jets , Philly, Pats game...I guarantee no different level of idiot drunken fans in each place....our's just seem to have a bit more fun!!!

2) I have never been in a stadium where you can be in line for the head and see the game...where is there one like that? I am including baseball and football stadiums, and I been to a lot of both

Edited by plenzmd1

They got rid of the troughs??!?!

It was a slippery slope. First, they came for the sinks. Then, they made the bathroom smaller. And, finally to really minimize the piss per square inch ratio, they got rid of the troughs.

At least in my section.

haha, exactly. I love the "idea" of the downtown Pegulaville stadium, and someday we may get that, but I also love the Ralph. The expense for the PSLs, parking. Single game tickets, food, drinks at the new billion dollar stadiums are ridiculous. As an average fan, I can't really justify it. Edited by YoloinOhio

It was a slippery slope. First, they came for the sinks. Then, they made the bathroom smaller. And, finally to really minimize the piss per square inch ratio, they got rid of the troughs.

At least in my section.

That is absolutely ridiculous. How does it even work now? Are people going two and three to a urinal or waiting in lines like peasants? Without the round sinks how do the current bathrooms handle excess capacity?

I'm also adverse to the idea of playing in the elements on the road and being at a disadvantage because we're a soft dome team like the Colts, falcons and saints. We're the Buffalo Bills for cryin out loud, when it's too tough for them its just right for us.

Except this is a complete myth.