good news on the ralph..

i think the amenities are more important to the nfl and Roger than they are to actual fans. Goodell wants the new type of stadium because it will bring in more money for the league. He wants people spending their money inside the stadium, not tailgating in the lots. I think the new stadiums are cool, but I like the Ralph as well. It is unique. And I don't need cabanas and pools and red zone on the tv during the game like they have in Jax. I'm there to watch my team.

yep, and as mark cuban said, the NFL will eat themselves up if they continue the practice of squeezing every frickin nickel out of people..

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then we will have a stadium to match the newspaper; Buffalo News stadium sounds right. :nana:

Harsh... but maybe not inaccurate. The emoticon may be spot on.

Frankly, Bflo is in the bottom 5 teams economically. No shame in that.

I would vote for any Ralph renovation that keeps it at about the 28th stadium, by national standards.

We don't need the excess. But I don't want the Ralph to be the crappiest stadium. That would be bad for the region.

Harsh... but maybe not inaccurate. The emoticon may be spot on.

Frankly, Bflo is in the bottom 5 teams economically. No shame in that.

I would vote for any Ralph renovation that keeps it at about the 28th stadium, by national standards.

We don't need the excess. But I don't want the Ralph to be the crappiest stadium. That would be bad for the region.

i don't think it is crappy but that's just me. I like it and I think it's one of the few where fans are so close, it's like a college atmosphere. I prefer that over sterile, corporate environments. If the team is winning the Ralph will look beautiful to us. If it's not winning, it will look crappy. IMO!

I'm in Rochester and our paper is so bad we dream of having one like the BN. Not kidding. The D&C is embarrassing.

Yeah, I was going to say. I'm one of those weirdos that still gets a hardcopy paper on the weekends. Yes, I'm under 70. Something about the newspaper and a cup of coffee on the weekends.

Anyway, I regularly spot typos in Sal Mairano's columns. It's the reality of the biz. They can't afford decent copy editors any more.

Yeah, I was going to say. I'm one of those weirdos that still gets a hardcopy paper on the weekends. Yes, I'm under 70. Something about the newspaper and a cup of coffee on the weekends.

Anyway, I regularly spot typos in Sal Mairano's columns. It's the reality of the biz. They can't afford decent copy editors any more.

haha I get our paper on sat and sun too. Though the Columbus dispatch sports section has little to no drama. Milquetoast articles. OSU has too much power.

Not as long as the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum exists. Arrowhead stadium is as old as the Ralph, so why isn't anyone in KC talking new stadium?

Arrowhead and Lambeau field have both underwent massive " full renovation" in recent years instead of being replaced. The same type of full renovation was on the table for the Ralph at about double the cost of the renovations that were done. Blame the county exec and others for that. Otherwise there might be no conversation necessary. They opted for the less expensive " window dressing " improvements.

Edited by Boatdrinks

I'm happy to hear this right now about the Ralph. We will see if management is singing the same tune in 2020. I love the Ralph because it is a simple stadium. There is a place for me to get food, take a piss and watch the game (I actually prefer sitting in the upper decks cause of the birds eye view). As a bills fan I take pride in the minimalist stadium we have. Buffalo is a blue-collared town that gets by with what it has and I think the Ralph really represents that. To get a domed stadium would just show the bills are just trying to make more money instead of caring about what most fans want...at least that's my view

Wise choice, but no Super Bowl consideration until a new stadium is built. Glad that the Bills are staying in western NY but upset that it will have to be in the Ralph.

There is never going to be a Super Bowl in WNY! Ralph or Palace, not going to happen.

haha I get our paper on sat and sun too. Though the Columbus dispatch sports section has little to no drama. Milquetoast articles. OSU has too much power.

I get the Elmira Star Gazette on weekends, Its another Gannett paper and the D&C is way better.

I know of not one, but two Pats fans that love the Ralph for its simplicity, atmosphere and great sight lines.

Yep! Gillette is a horrible fan experience.

I'm thinking of buying season tickets.. they have great resale value to visiting team fans.

I think half of the season ticket holders are resellers.. and that's OK with me. It brings in $$ from out of town.

The Barcos should be OK IF they hire a lawyer with eminent domain experience. They should get a "highest best use" valuation for the property, not "market value." https://www.google.com/search?q=new+york+highest+and+best+use+eminent+domain

I don't know if the best use valuation existed when your Dad got ED'd.

I am not a lawyer.

I have no clue. I remember him saying it was a either or offer (Ed) for the land. I'm curious what anyone would think the highest best value of the Mud lot is worth. 10 acres and I think it's zoning is for farming which is one of the lowest ratings as apposed to a B (business) or even a R (residential). It's easier to go down in zoning than up. Edited by Hammered a Lot

Arrowhead and Lambeau field have both underwent massive " full renovation" in recent years instead of being replaced. The same type of full renovation was on the table for the Ralph at about double the cost of the renovations that were done. Blame the county exec and others for that. Otherwise there might be no conversation necessary. They opted for the less expensive " window dressing " improvements.

So our option was to pour $.25B into renovating the Ralph. Nah.

I have no clue. I remember him saying it was a either or offer (Ed) for the land. I'm curious what anyone would think the highest best value of the Mud lot is worth. 10 acres and I think it's zoning is for farming which is one of the lowest ratings as apposed to a B (business) or even a R (residential). It's easier to go down in zoning than up.

If the Bills/NYS choose to renovate the Ralph versus build a downtown palace.. that ten acres is extremely valuable, I suggest.

If they decide to go downtown... I think those 10 are agricultural value.

IIRC two of the biggest "problems" with the Ralph are.

1) concourses too narrow. By reducing capacity years ago, and the fact that for our crowd it is simply

Not a big deal. I have never heard anyone moaning besides the obvious " mooing" that happens anywhere.

2) The leagues luxury/corporate suites. probabaly one of the easier issues that could be solved.

Corporate suites make money In WNY selling them is a whole other problem.

The Ralph is great. Sight lines among the best. Some better maintenance could be done. I remember

Some complaning the seat warmers have been broke forever in some clubs. Again for our group. Who cares?

Last year they added the Vodka only bar in the Kelly club. so it all evens out in the end.

exactly.. i want a place to tailgate, then watch the game. all the "amenities" really are just fluff. we are buffalo, not L A or dallas.. lambeau works, so does the ralph.

Yeah. And what's with these new fangled urinals and individual seats? What was wrong with the trough and bench seating they used to have? They worked fine.

Edited by vincec