Salary Cap Hades

H2o

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was Dareus a bad deal? He got near Gerald McCoy money and less than Suh, the two most comparable players. You want to keep star players you have to pay market rate for them regardless of if you believe it's "too much". Unless you simply want us to be like the teams in the 2000's and let our players walk as FA's repeatedly and keep starting over...

Dareus received a contract with $32 million in prorated money. Thats massive. His two year new cash flow I believe is second only to Suh. Its not the APY you need to look at but the structure of the deal. These are cap cloggers and every deal you sign like this has an impact on other players you look to re-sign in the future. If Dareus ends up being the only deal that they end up signing using that structure then it wont be a problem, but I have my doubts about that because they are setting a precedent. Once you get to two or three deals like that you become the Cowboys of the past.

Why? What good would it have done to have a truck load of unspent money last year? They resigned the two young guys on the DL and they needed a RB and a TE and got them. What else would they have done at those positions? The guys they signed last year are Super Bowl caliber. But the QB is not, the linebackers are not, the WRs are not (other than SW). So that's why they weren't Super Bowl contenders.

There were lots of reasons they were 8-8 and as we should know by now, the difference between 8-8 and 10-6 and a playoff spot is very small.

I agree the difference between 8-8 and 10-6 and a playoff spot is very small. So if your main goal is to get into the playoffs and then get spanked Houston-style, then yeah, it could be considered a good move. Although if you are trying to build a legitimate contender and desire continued success year after year, that is the completely wrong approach. This isn't just my opinion, we've learned this from watching other front offices throughout the free agency era. We're operating under the early 2000's Dallas Cowboys philosophy, and it just doesn't work.

I will strongly disagree with the notion that the guys they signed last year are Super Bowl caliber (aside from Dareus), the money was simply not spent wisely (from a football standpoint, it certainly generated ticket sales). The fans are grossly exaggerating the amount of talent we have. Our roster is paper-thin and lacks any depth -- an injury at nearly any position leaves the team in trouble. This is an important and often overlooked consideration, because when you sign older free agents, you are certainly going to have a higher injury rate than normal.

If we are over the cap this year, how do things look for 2017? We probably will want to sign Taylor and Gilmore, both of whom will be free agents, which will not be cheap.

The Bills are in fine cap shape, they've got plenty of ways to free up money without gutting the roster. The new look Bills will always be right up against the cap, as will every other competitive team in the league. There's seldom a need for fans to worry about the cap being a problem... unless you're a fan of a team with a penny-pinching owner which fortunately does not apply to Pegs.

Even a casual look into the cap situation will reveal this to be true.

The Bills are in fine cap shape, they've got plenty of ways to free up money without gutting the roster. The new look Bills will always be right up against the cap, as will every other competitive team in the league. There's seldom a need for fans to worry about the cap being a problem... unless you're a fan of a team with a penny-pinching owner which fortunately does not apply to Pegs.

Even a casual look into the cap situation will reveal this to be true.

I use to think that, but the closer I look I don't see a ton of room. Yes they can sign Incognito and Glenn but I don't see them with much left to add to the roster.

How much will we save when Shady goes to jail?

cutting Shady hurts the cap this year

I use to think that, but the closer I look I don't see a ton of room. Yes they can sign Incognito and Glenn but I don't see them with much left to add to the roster.

Look closer. The plan has always been to resign their own this year, not bring in a lot of UFA talent. Resigning Glenn, RI, extending Gilmore will all happen this off season along with cutting Mario, restructuring Clay's wonky cap number, and cutting/restructuring some other player's deals will give the Bills enough room to get done what they need to get done in '16.

Every competitive team in the league spends up to the cap. It's not the cap figure that matters as much as the flexibility -- of which the Bills have plenty of.

If they did "over did it" last year then they wouldn't be in manageable cap shape.

But they are.

So evidence says your conclusion is probably faulty.

We'll see. Hope so. Hate the thought of Shady in leg irons, Karlos injured again and we're running Boobie over Kujo's side because that's all we can manage. Edited by Green Lightning

Look closer. The plan has always been to resign their own this year, not bring in a lot of UFA talent. Resigning Glenn, RI, extending Gilmore will all happen this off season along with cutting Mario, restructuring Clay's wonky cap number, and cutting/restructuring some other player's deals will give the Bills enough room to get done what they need to get done in '16.

Every competitive team in the league spends up to the cap. It's not the cap figure that matters as much as the flexibility -- of which the Bills have plenty of.

Richie won't be nearly the raise some speculate, gilmores number may come down this year with extension, clay looks to be as planned of a restructure as you can get.... And that's before Mario which will free up more than Glen's cap number this year if both moves are made Edited by NoSaint

I can't get all worked up about the salary cap. Teams find a way to sign the guys they want/want to keep.

I don't get the concept of not spending last year so they can spend more on FA this year either. Why wait when they want to improve ASAP, and the FA class this year is weak. Their plan to sign their own guys they want to keep and hit the draft makes sense to me. I do think they will add some bargain FAs.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I can't get all worked up about the salary cap. Teams find a way to sign the guys they want/want to keep.

I don't get the concept of not spending last year so they can spend more on FA this year either. Why wait when they want to improve ASAP, and the FA class this year is weak. Their plan to sign their own guys they want to keep and hit the draft makes sense to me. I do think they will add some bargain FAs.

Totally agree. They did what they needed to do last year. Other than QB, TE and G were their biggest needs--and they filled them. Shady and Harvin fell into their lap, and Whaley took care of business. The problem was the reversal on D, which now creates a problem of needing too many pieces in the draft, especially if they have issues signing their own UFAs/

RFAs.

Top 51 contracts with dead money has the Bills cap total right now around $158M.

Basically, cutting Urbik and redoing Gilmore's contract to Bryan Maxwell money (who was absolutely overpaid), gets us under the cap.

And that's even before we get into anything drastic like cutting Mario or converting some of Clay's roster bonus to a signing bonus.

Basically, cutting Urbik and redoing Gilmore's contract to Bryan Maxwell money (who was absolutely overpaid), gets us under the cap.

And that's even before we get into anything drastic like cutting Mario or converting some of Clay's roster bonus to a signing bonus.

Pushing Clay's money forward is a disastrous idea especially with a pending contract for a QB next year.

Pushing Clay's money forward is a disastrous idea especially with a pending contract for a QB next year.

Incorrect. Clays cap this year is wonky because of the way they pried him from the Dolphins. Addressing that number and getting it more in line with the rest of his deal's cap figures is good business.

Shocking, I know.