Salary Cap Hades

H2o

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap math is fuzzy at best, especially at this point of the offseason. Doesn't anyone else remember when the Saints started out some $20 mil over the cap but were still able to sign Byrd in FA?

Miami was supposedly in cap hell last season and went out and signed Suh to an absurd contract (and seemed to be linked to every free agent)

You gotta wonder if the recent rule requiring teams to spend so close to the cap was referred to as the "Ralph Rule" around the league owners. Kinda like Megan's Law, or the Brady Bill.

No the Ralph Rule for NFL is looking carefully at contracts with NFLPA - ""if you think you've gotten a good deal from NFLPA, first count your fingers, then your limbs, then your relatives".

Yep.

Plus they can create plenty of space by getting rid of Dixon and getting pay cuts from any of Lawson, Urbik, Carpenter, or McKelvin.

McKelvin and Lawson....probabily.....Urbik...no, he did that last year I recall, nothing much to gain from him now. Carpenter, maybe not....he is still a real good kicker. Unless our kickoff guy can take the job away............in camp. Dixon gone imho unless Shady is in the slammer.

I am torn vis a via Gilmore....everybody says he is a top top CB.......but, I haven't seen it often...just sometimes...and I am a season ticket holder. I worry that some of the rep is hangover Bills marketing bs. His interception numbers surely don't reflect top 10 status.

And, I wonder what the players truly think about playing for a team led by twin clowns, some might prefer more sane leadership where bragging comes after accomplishment. Anyhow, the big free agents all want to get paid...and, given close offers...might opt to go elsewhere. (It would cross my mind were I in that situation)

Edited by bigK14094

That's a lot of expectations for a lot of improvement. Maybe it happens, but I'm not putting money on all of that. Besides, that doesn't account for any players whose play falls off. Freed up money doesn't directly equate to talent acquired. In fact, the likeliest destinations for Mario's salary cap savings are retention of current players. That is a net loss.

When you consider losing Mario, it is a loss of talent, but I doubt it will be a loss in production from last years squad.

Yup! That offseason was one for the casuals. Not much for making the Bills a better team.

You guys don't think we were able to add a lot of production last offseason huh?

When you consider losing Mario, it is a loss of talent, but I doubt it will be a loss in production from last years squad.

You guys don't think we were able to add a lot of production last offseason huh?

Mario had 14.5 sacks in 2014 and 13 in 2013. He had 5 last season. Hughes dropped from 10 to 5 for reference. The production from Mario's spot might not see much of a drop, but the potential for production from his position sure will.

Added production last season? Not really much, if any overall. It sure didn't show up in the Bills' record.

Mario had 14.5 sacks in 2014 and 13 in 2013. He had 5 last season. Hughes dropped from 10 to 5 for reference. The production from Mario's spot might not see much of a drop, but the potential for production from his position sure will.

Added production last season? Not really much, if any overall. It sure didn't show up in the Bills' record.

But now we have Rob Rya................never mind.

Yeah, but..

the biggest improvement is expected to be from within. Darby, Rambo, Brown, Karlos, Tyrod being the most notable. I expect Mario has played his last game as a Bill, so a starter at LDE is necessary, but the $$ we save losing him will make up for it. I equally expect Incog, Glenn & Bradham to be here next season -and improved.

I really hope this situation plays out like ur comment. Also if whaley can draft his ass off and get us a start ready DE LB Saftey and RT that would really help. I like our chances at getting a start ready DR/NT or LB through the 1st 3 draft picks and a surprise late pick stand out at WR or Safety.

Edited by Marty McFly

McKelvin and Lawson....probabily.....Urbik...no, he did that last year I recall, nothing much to gain from him now. Carpenter, maybe not....he is still a real good kicker. Unless our kickoff guy can take the job away............in camp. Dixon gone imho unless Shady is in the slammer.

I am torn vis a via Gilmore....everybody says he is a top top CB.......but, I haven't seen it often...just sometimes...and I am a season ticket holder. I worry that some of the rep is hangover Bills marketing bs. His interception numbers surely don't reflect top 10 status.

And, I wonder what the players truly think about playing for a team led by twin clowns, some might prefer more sane leadership where bragging comes after accomplishment. Anyhow, the big free agents all want to get paid...and, given close offers...might opt to go elsewhere. (It would cross my mind were I in that situation)

Agree on the bolded but, Gilmore is good, Rex scheme needs good CB/S we gotta keep Gilmore him and Darby were one of the top rated CB tag teams last year letting him go would be a big mistake In my opinion. Shady has too much lawyer money to go in the slammer for 1 assault charge, hell get probation at WORST. whats gonna hurt us is whatever suspension the NFL gives him.

I understand that our cap situation is "manageable," but only to possibly retain some of our free agents. Our ability to sign free agents from other teams will be very limited. It is unfortunate that we are in this situation, particularly since we are not paying typical starting QB compensation. I guess management thought that the Bills were going to make a serious run this past season and loaded up. Building through the draft is still the way to go.

If you like building through the draft, there's literally no need to worry about our situation. The only people that should be unhappy with the cap number are those expecting multiple flashy free agents.

We can resign our guys we want, churn through some mid tier free agents, and add draft picks. If they see a perfect fit, maybe they pull the trigger on a key guy.

If you like building through the draft, there's literally no need to worry about our situation. The only people that should be unhappy with the cap number are those expecting multiple flashy free agents.

We can resign our guys we want, churn through some mid tier free agents, and add draft picks. If they see a perfect fit, maybe they pull the trigger on a key guy.

Agreed and we'll be fine.

The one "big flash" that would be great is if we could somehow grab Alshon Jeffery ... but that's a pipe dream anyway (Bears will tag or resign him, if not someone else will get him before we will)....but damn to pair him with Sammy would complete the final pieces of our skill players.

Exactly