Salary Cap Hades

H2o

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

We have the 2nd worst cap situation in the league, 2nd only to the Dolphins. As free agency looms on the horizon all the hope of bringing in the help we need seems a lot more like wishful thinking than reality. If we cut Mario it frees up over $12,000,000 pre-June 1st and $14,500,000 post-June 1st. That still doesn't leave us much room to work with considering we will still have to sign a draft class from that. Cut McFunbles and that frees up almost another $4,000,000. This still may not be enough to do what we need to do as we also need to re-sign Glenn and Incognito then possibly Bradham. People don't really seem fond of the idea, but Kyle Williams might end up being a cap casualty at some point because that would free up another $5,000,000 pre-June 1st or $6,500,000 post-June 1st. Until I actually looked today I had no idea our cap situation was as bad as it is at the moment. If we could get a long term deal done with Gilmore it may bring down his cap number, but I remember reading somewhere that he's going to try to "cash in" so maybe it will not. Then we have to look towards 2017 where Gilmore (if not extended this year) and Tyrod Taylor will be needing contracts. I hope Whaley and the guys in the FO can get this taken care of, but it doesn't look too good right now for what we are trying to build.

Edited by H2o

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cap situation is remarkably manageable.

As I outlined here http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183724-spotrac-manage-roster-tool-2016-bills-salary-cap/?p=3869834the sites we're using are using the salaries for all 68 players on the roster--only the top 51 count against he cap. Also, the cap is projected to be $153.4M, not $150, which means they aren't really even over the cap with their top 51.

That's before cutting Mario.

As I outlined here http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183724-spotrac-manage-roster-tool-2016-bills-salary-cap/?p=3869834the sites we're using are using the salaries for all 68 players on the roster--only the top 51 count against he cap. Also, the cap is projected to be $153.4M, not $150, which means they aren't really even over the cap with their top 51.

And the obviously expected clay restructure of salary to signing bonus

It's really basic cap management but we are a fan base very unaccustomed to being near the limit consistently

It's really basic cap management but we are a fan base very unaccustomed to being near the limit consistently

:thumbsup: Ralph was cheap. Lol

Yep.

Plus they can create plenty of space by getting rid of Dixon and getting pay cuts from any of Lawson, Urbik, Carpenter, or McKelvin.

:thumbsup: Ralph was cheap. Lol

Jokes aside, every year we had threads that went "I thought X team was in cap hell how in the world dos they add this important piece that helped them win a lot of games"

There's a lot of ways to make sense of the numbers still but when you compare a low ball estimate of the cap to a high ball estimate of our spending it can look daunting

I understand that our cap situation is "manageable," but only to possibly retain some of our free agents. Our ability to sign free agents from other teams will be very limited. It is unfortunate that we are in this situation, particularly since we are not paying typical starting QB compensation. I guess management thought that the Bills were going to make a serious run this past season and loaded up. Building through the draft is still the way to go.

New Orleans is in cap hell, the Bills are in cap heck. It's manageable, but the current situation will make it difficult to stay even or improve in terms of overall talent.

Yeah, but..

the biggest improvement is expected to be from within. Darby, Rambo, Brown, Karlos, Tyrod being the most notable. I expect Mario has played his last game as a Bill, so a starter at LDE is necessary, but the $$ we save losing him will make up for it. I equally expect Incog, Glenn & Bradham to be here next season -and improved.

Anyway they slice it they problay can't add anything from the outside, which stinks because bringing in a guy like Harrison would surely up grade the front seven .

NT's are not expensive though......we can get Terrance Knighton for a fraction of the cost

and restructuring Clay from his horrible poison pill contract we had to do so Miami would not match

We can also cut Leodis....there are other players that can be restructured

AND

We have a lot of players under contract right now

I understand that our cap situation is "manageable," but only to possibly retain some of our free agents. Our ability to sign free agents from other teams will be very limited. It is unfortunate that we are in this situation, particularly since we are not paying typical starting QB compensation. I guess management thought that the Bills were going to make a serious run this past season and loaded up. Building through the draft is still the way to go.

You should have been listening to Whaley in the offseason

Yeah, but..the biggest improvement is expected to be from within. Darby, Rambo, Brown, Karlos, Tyrod being the most notable. I expect Mario has played his last game as a Bill, so a starter at LDE is necessary, but the $$ we save losing him will make up for it. I equally expect Incog, Glenn & Bradham to be here next season -and improved.

That's a lot of expectations for a lot of improvement. Maybe it happens, but I'm not putting money on all of that. Besides, that doesn't account for any players whose play falls off. Freed up money doesn't directly equate to talent acquired. In fact, the likeliest destinations for Mario's salary cap savings are retention of current players. That is a net loss.

That's a lot of expectations for a lot of improvement. Maybe it happens, but I'm not putting money on all of that. Besides, that doesn't account for any players whose play falls off. Freed up money doesn't directly equate to talent acquired. In fact, the likeliest destinations for Mario's salary cap savings are retention of current players. That is a net loss.

Improvement from a whole set of players is a lot to ask for......but what if SOME of those players improved and others played at the same level this did this past year?