I'm feeling better about Kordelia

The Bills have put us firmly between a rock and a good place by handing the job to JP. My preference is to have a youngster either take the job from his predecessor, or at least produce good results as a pro which make sitting him down impossible to do. However, this is not how reality has played this one out and the just because the job has been given to JP based on nothing but potential does not mean that he cannot prove himself worthy of the job.

Reality being what it is, I hope the Bills can find some cushion for the rock if JP should unfortunately get hurt again (I think the RJ experience has made many Bills fans a bit gunshy and it is way to early to fear that JP is injury prone due this boo-boo at the hands of a fellow Bill in practice) or he is not the player we hope he is.

Unfortunately, the most qualified guy to be a #2 QB for Losman is actually Drew Bledsoe (who filled this role perfectly for Tom Brady in 2001 because reality forced him to do so) and he ain't gonna do it (and most Bills fans are so addicted to either loving or hating Bledsoe that it is great for TSW that he won't). The question is who should be our #2.

The Bledsoe cut puts a real crimp in our cap that makes this one a toughy. A mere $2.2 million is left over after the acceleration of the Bledsoe bonus and signing anyone for more than that means cutting into out cap room. This likely leaves out folks like Jeff Garcia or Kurt Warner who probably want to start anyway (this is a factor because they won't come here and I hope we are not going to get into such handholding for JP that we will need to stay away from anyone who plays well for fear of upsetting him),

Looking at the list, the candidates look like Chatlie Batch, Mile McMahon and Kordell Stewart. I pass on MacMahon because he was not able to even complete 50%of his passes in his two biggest seasons of starting for the Lions (not to mention that his biggest seasons saw him start 3 and 4 games respectively).

Charlie Batch is interesting though it has been quite awhile since he last saw starter duty also for the Lions. However. for the last several years he has done back-up duty with the Steelers and I am pretty sure that he is familiar with Clements/MM and their system and more important they are familiar with him, If e is good for the braintrust who am I to argue without further evidence from play as a Bill so I will accept this if it comes to happen with the same fact-free optimism I have for JP's prospects.

However, the guy who intrigues me the most from looking at their records is Kordell Stewart. On the up side I see:

1. Working with MM/Clements clearly improved his play in the 2001 season

2. He has said and done the right things in his move to the Ravens where he was clearly brought in as the #2 for Boller and did what was necessary to help the team including playing the role of punter for the first time since HS.

3. He has experienced success in the NFL before and has seen a lot and even been to the big Dance once before as a rookie.

Just like Bledsoe, I would not pick Kordell as my #1, but he has many aspects of his game that look like he can be a good #2.

Given the cap limitations caused by the Bledsoe cut make my choices Kordell or Batch in that order.

One other good thing about Kordell....I am sure the Bills are going to install many plays in the offense tailored around JP's mobility and it would be nice if your #2 could run all those same plays. We could do a lot worse for a #2.

Let the Kordell jokes and slams begin....

I wouldn't be thrilled to have Kordella as our #1 if JP were to go down with an injury. I would prefer him over Dumbo Fiedler, I have a hot wife Warner, I should start drinking again Collins or My wrists are not limp Garcia.

There are a few advantages with Kordella, he does have a grasp of Mularkeys offense. As mentioned, the Bills wouldn't have to adjust their offense if he did have to step in for JP. He can also contribute in a slash role. He would also come cheap, I'll guess $1-1.5 million.

I'm going ot guess that the primary reason you're feeling better about Kordell is that you haven't had to watch him play for quite a while.

Working with MM/Clements clearly improved his play in the 2001 season

This is certainly true as Clements/Mularkey were able to raise his play to the level of adequacy. However his adequate play was confined to the regular season while the Stillers muddled through the year in the worst division in the NFL. The second P'burgh found itself in p'off competition Kordell reverted to his true nature and completely went to pieces when the pressure was on.

The Bills have already decided that they are not interested in a QB who can put together a few adequate regular season performances, only to spit the bit as soon as things get too tight under the collar. In this regard Bledsoe and Kordell are birds of a feather and I don't think there's a chance that Donahoe is interested in him.

Nor would you be if you'd been forced to watch him at some point in the last couple years. :devil:

Cya

I'm going ot guess that the primary reason you're feeling better about Kordell is that you haven't had to watch him play for quite a while.

This is certainly true as Clements/Mularkey were able to raise his play to the level of adequacy. However his adequate play was confined to the regular season while the Stillers muddled through the year in the worst division in the NFL. The second P'burgh found itself in p'off competition Kordell reverted to his true nature and completely went to pieces when the pressure was on.

The Bills have already decided that they are not interested in a QB who can put together a few adequate regular season performances, only to spit the bit as soon as things get too tight under the collar. In this regard Bledsoe and Kordell are birds of a feather and I don't think there's a chance that Donahoe is interested in him.

Nor would you be if you'd been forced to watch him at some point in the last couple years.  :devil:

Cya

244268[/snapback]

Thanks. I couldn't have stated it much better than that.

Thanks.  I couldn't have stated it much better than that.

244275[/snapback]

See? Getting someone to do this for you leaves you time to come up with more self-righteous put downs. (Though I'm not sure how "OMFG. No way in hell" is a self-righteous put-down. Clearly you need work in that area.)

One other good thing about Kordell....I am sure the Bills are going to install many plays in the offense tailored around JP's mobility and it would be nice if your #2 could run all those same plays.  We could do a lot worse for a #2.

Let the Kordell jokes and slams begin....

244244[/snapback]

I'd prefer to tailor my O-line than have my QB run around like a ritalin-eating chicken. :devil:

One other good thing about Kordell....I am sure the Bills are going to install many plays in the offense tailored around JP's mobility and it would be nice if your #2 could run all those same plays.  We could do a lot worse for a #2.

244244[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. Moreover, Stewart could likely teach JP a thing or two about surviving as a QB who can scamble.

Let's put this way, last year when I thought he was coming to Buffalo I almost puked. Now I am fairly confident I'll keep my dinner down.

You know anyone who honestly believe Stewart should be our backup Qb really has no idea what they are talking about. He fumbles a lot, he has thrown more INT's then TD's, he is absolutely aweful. This is when he ran offenses designed for him specifically.

You people have lost it. Relying on a youngster with one lifetime winning season (8-5), and who basically was terrible in every chance although limited he had last year Now you want to bring is someone to back him up who should never been allowed to play QB in the NFL.

You know anyone who honestly believe Stewart should be our backup Qb really has no idea what they are talking about.  He fumbles a lot, he has thrown more INT's then TD's, he is absolutely aweful.  This is when he ran offenses designed for him specifically. 

You people have lost it.  Relying on a youngster with one lifetime winning season (8-5), and who basically was terrible in every chance although limited he had last year  Now you want to bring is someone to back him up who should never been allowed to play QB in the NFL.

244390[/snapback]

I don't think the accelerated cap hit from the Bledsoe cut leaves us much choice. We are looking for a back-up QB with a cap hit of about $2.3 million. From the available list I think Batch, Stewart and MacMahon are what we are talking about.

Remember no one is talking about a starter and I would have no clue is that was what I was talking about, Whi do you want as your number2? Shane Matthews? What does he or some other #2 have to offer you.