McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

Even if the punch was thrown at someone who choked his friend out ?

Seems harsh.

Exactly. If he is found to have done nothing wrong, why suspend him?

Well, whether it's what many of us would've done or not, the simple fact is that he was caught on video fighting in a night club.

The video makes it clear that he wasn't under attack when he ran into a melee to throw a punch, so self-defense won't cut it as far as the commissioner's office is concerned.

He may escape assault charges, but the NFL doesn't need legal action to suspend him. If he acted outside the spirit of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy (and he did), he can be suspended.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

I would say that McCoy is guilty of:

- Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace

- Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, whether it's what many of us would've done or not, the simple fact is that he was caught on video fighting in a night club.

The video makes it clear that he wasn't under attack when he ran into a melee to throw a punch, so self-defense won't cut it as far as the commissioner's office is concerned.

He may escape assault charges, but the NFL doesn't need legal action to suspend him. If he acted outside the spirit of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy (and he did), he can be suspended.

- Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace

- Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person

Goodell can't suspend because Shady threw a punch that may or may not have landed. And if he did it to help his friend, he's not guilty of either of those.

Goodell can't suspend because Shady threw a punch that may or may not have landed. And if he did it to help his friend, he's not guilty of either of those.

From my experience with bar fights, I always think that the guy stomping on the guy on the ground is the one who's really in danger.

So while you're under those covers there, how 'bout you dole us a bit of gouge (from a hypothetical theoretical perspective of course) on how this kind of meeting works?

Would the DA provide any info to Shady's lawyer/Shady about what kind of evidence they have to support various charges?

Would Shady submit to questioning?

Or would it just be offer/counteroffer "well, we could charge you with aggravated assault but you being a first time offender and all, we're willing for you to plead to simple assault, probation, community service, no time" "not happening, I don't think you can make that case with all the laundry out there but if you want to try, see you in court" "OK, how about disorderly conduct? Community service, no probation" "Let me discuss that with my client"

Alternatively, could this just be to set something up where Shady can leave town and go on about his off season training in AZ or wherever it is?

pm'd you

I'm not convinced Shady gets suspended if no charges are filed given the differing accounts provided by the eyewitnesses. Yes it would seem the video shows McCoy violating the Personal Conduct Policy, but circumstances matter. After being embarrassed by Brady in Deflategate, I'm not sure Goodell would be enthusiastic about inserting himself in a questionable case.

Does the first one apply? Isn't that meant to address behavior directed at co-workers (i.e., like the Incognito mess)?

The second one doesn't apply either, in my opinion, if Shady was acting out of a reasonable belief his friend was in danger -- which we don't yet know for certain.

Throwing a punch is violent regardless of why one does it and whether or not it lands.

Yes, he can suspend him for it.

Does the first one apply? Isn't that meant to address behavior directed at co-workers (i.e., like the Incognito mess)?

The second one doesn't apply either, in my opinion, if Shady was acting out of a reasonable belief his friend was in danger -- which we don't yet know for certain.

Not sure how "among" is intended there.

From my experience with bar fights, I always think that the guy stomping on the guy on the ground is the one who's really in danger.

"Stomping"?

Throwing a punch is violent regardless of why one does it and whether or not it lands.

Yes, he can suspend him for it.

Players aren't even suspended for throwing and landing punches in games.

Doc, i think he can.

He can try, but it won't stand.

I'm not convinced Shady gets suspended if no charges are filed given the differing accounts provided by the eyewitnesses. Yes it would seem the video shows McCoy violating the Personal Conduct Policy, but circumstances matter. After being embarrassed by Brady in Deflategate, I'm not sure Goodell would be enthusiastic about inserting himself in a questionable case.

This is where it becomes in flux.

hard to tell what Goodell and the Boys want to make a statement about this time. Is the trend, overly punitive at this point?

there is no question Lesean was in a night club after 230 in the morning in Philly throwing a punch, is there ?Or is there?

If he does under those circumstances, he'll lose again on appeal.

I have to disagree. He showed a violent action toward another human being , regardless of reason or effect.

Not only do we not know it, we likely never will. The video is just the tail end of what happened. It's never going to be anything more than that. So now you have multiple accounts by different people which in so many cases will not ever neatly and cleanly line up. Doesn't anyone believe for one second that McCoy's attorney isn't going to have him spouting exactly what you're saying. "I thought my friend was in danger". You can't tell from that crappy video who's on top, who's on the bottom, who threw the first punch, etc. All conjecture with no substance from both sides.

Not only do we not know it, we likely never will. The video is just the tail end of what happened. It's never going to be anything more than that. So now you have multiple accounts by different people which in so many cases will not ever neatly and cleanly line up. Doesn't anyone believe for one second that McCoy's attorney isn't going to have him spouting exactly what you're saying. "I thought my friend was in danger". You can't tell from that crappy video who's on top, who's on the bottom, who threw the first punch, etc. All conjecture with no substance from both sides.

Oh hell yes. That is exactly the defense has prepped already by saying his client was sober!! Shady has a keen lawyer, and that goes a country mile in this day and age

This is where it becomes in flux.

hard to tell what Goodell and the Boys want to make a statement about this time. Is the trend, overly punitive at this point?

there is no question Lesean was in a night club after 230 in the morning in Philly throwing a punch, is there ?Or is there?

I have to disagree. He showed a violent action toward another human being , regardless of reason or effect.

If the NFLPA can get Hardy's suspension reduced from 10 down to 4 games, Shady will get zero games in the end.