McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

Another factor: how much do you think a young and ambitious Philly prosecutor would want to go after an embittered ex-Eagle who is increasingly reviled locally? He was certainly a good player for the Eagles, but the city of brotherly love generally turns on ex-Philly athletes with unmatched viciousness regardless of the circumstances of the player's departure. Shady has mostly been a pinata figure for the media and fans since departing Philly.

Anyway, my guess is that some of the local prosecutors will be chomping at the bit for this one.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, after what I saw I would cut the RB right away. I'd rather lose 20 Superbowls rather than support someone like this. Kids look up to these stars and they need to realize it.

He should have walked away. At the end of the day, he should have acted a lot more professionally. It's a bottle of buzz for crying out loud. You're a public figure!

If your child looks up to LeSean McCoy, you've got bigger problems than the Bills losing 20 Super Bowls.

I am sorry, after what I saw I would cut the RB right away. I'd rather lose 20 Superbowls rather than support someone like this. Kids look up to these stars and they need to realize it.

He should have walked away. At the end of the day, he should have acted a lot more professionally. It's a bottle of buzz for crying out loud. You're a public figure!

This... I agree.

I can't believe were stuck with this ass hat now. Common sense says if trouble starts walk in the other direction.

Another factor: how much do you think a young and ambitious Philly prosecutor would want to go after an embittered ex-Eagle who is increasingly reviled locally? He was certainly a good player for the Eagles, but the city of brotherly love generally turns on ex-Philly athletes with unmatched viciousness regardless of the circumstances of the player's departure. Shady has mostly been a pinata figure for the media and fans since departing Philly.

Anyway, my guess is that some of the local prosecutors will be chomping at the bit for this one.

Without a doubt this is a high profile case. Odds are that the supervisor in the office is going to assign this to one of the better attorneys in the office.

Really hope you weren't a fan in the 90's.

He's a first time offender in the eyes of the law though. To not offer a deal in court means you have some sort of... evidence that he specifically assaulted and injured these men... and that he is a danger to society. When his lawyer will argue up the wall that he is NOT a danger to society, that he was barely involved, and is probably willing to take probation, a fine, and a buttload of community service. Why not save the time, effort and money?

He's a first time offender in the eyes of the law though. To not offer a deal in court means you have some sort of... evidence that he specifically assaulted and injured these men... and that he is a danger to society. When his lawyer will argue up the wall that he is NOT a danger to society, that he was barely involved, and is probably willing to take probation, a fine, and a buttload of community service. Why not save the time, effort and money?

The video is pretty damning.... McCoy throws punch gets removed. Comes back starts to stomp and gets pulled away again.

Whether he specifically doled out the injuries is essentially a red herring - the crew he was with COLLECTIVELY sent two of Philly's finest to the ER, and they can be prosecuted as such. If a gang gives someone a bad beatdown and get caught as a group, they can all be found guilty of the most serious crime stemming from the injuries. The fact that he was captured on video sluggin' and stompin' ain't gonna help his case either.

I don't know the whole story here...but my initial thoughts are:

1. Do we know who started the fight? If the cops started the fight, then I am not sure how Shady and Co. are facing this or that as wouldn't it be self defense? Self Defense doesn't require you to get your butt kicked, so just because they won the fight doesn't mean it wasnt self defense.

2. Do we know yet if Shady was directly involved with any of the damage that created the injuries? If the majority of the fight was the others and Shady jumped in to help or played a minor role, then I don't know that he will be in as much trouble as speculated.

I have no idea if any of those 2 points above are known yet, haven't had time to catch up with the story. So just asking for my knowledge so I don't have to surf a 30+ page thread for time reasons.

Also, as some pointed out in the more recent posts, worst case scenario, our run game is in good shape with or without Shady next year for either part of the season or if the Bills felt they needed to cut him after all this plays out. Obviously, Shady would be great to have out there, but losing him doesn't make or break us as we have a pretty darn good stable of RB's even as we sit now before factoring in FA/Draft additions in the event we moved on from Shady.

Not sure who started it. In the first 5 seconds of the TMZ video, you see a guy throwing a punch just before they red arrow McCoy. I thought that maybe McCoy went after this guy but he instead walked over with him to the main fracas. It also appears (though difficult to say) that after the girl in the white sweater kind of pulled McCoy back that he went around the ice bucket and back in to the fray and threw a big kick before getting pulled into the ice bucket but again, tough to say for sure.

Doesn't look good for McCoy though. Dumb ass.

Whether he specifically doled out the injuries is essentially a red herring - the crew he was with COLLECTIVELY sent two of Philly's finest to the ER, and they can be prosecuted as such. If a gang gives someone a bad beatdown and get caught as a group, they can all be found guilty of the most serious crime stemming from the injuries. The fact that he was captured on video sluggin' and stompin' ain't gonna help his case either.

Very much doubt that the facts here connote the type of premeditation in a course of conduct that exposes an accomplice and conspirator (before the fact) to the same criminal sanctions as the primary perpetrator.

And as to your earlier point regarding an insurance claim or settlement facilitating a criminal conviction I'm pretty sure it would not be allowed into evidence as lacking probative value. The opposite is what may be possible i.e. If OJ had been convicted of felony murder 1 it might have been admissible in the subsequent civil trial.

@mikerodak

LeSean McCoy has hired noted Philly defensive attorney Jack McMahon to represent him, @JohnBarrESPN reports.

@joebuscaglia

The Philadelphia DA's office says the case allegedly involving LeSean McCoy is under review, and charges are not anticipated this evening.

The Philadelphia DA's office didn't offer a further timetable at this time in the alleged McCoy incident.

@mikerodak

LeSean McCoys attorney, Jack McMahon, told @JohnBarrESPN that McCoy would obviously turn himself in if charged in case.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Half of TBD would represent themselves in a court of law if afforded the opportunity.

In 41 pages of this thread, alone, I think I've counted at least 37 TBDers who think they're attorneys.

You're probably right but I don't know enough yet to pass judgment.